Bigger deal than Forsberg

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:13 pm

Bigger deal than Forsberg

Post by SRsez » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:15 pm

Talk is, Edmonton wants to know where they sit with Ryan Smyth before the trade deadline, otherwise he might become available. Now that's a guy worth something.

If you could sign him long term, I'd give a 1st & 3rd, not to mention Bourdon & Schneider. No problemo.

Not like Lowe's that stupid though. Who do you think he'll be able to fleece?
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

User avatar
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:02 am

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:23 pm

No chance in hell they trade him.

No way, He'll be an Oiler for life.... he'll be a captain and be the best Oilers Captain since Messier.. the last man to lead them to a cup.

Let alone trade him to a division rival.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:52 pm

We'll never land him. But he might be traded. If they can't come to a number he's gone at the deadline, and they'll get something big for him...he'll be a KEY guy in the playoffs, scoring the goals you need to win. With Doans deal on the table, Smyth will look for more...I highly doubt Lowe will want to give him 6million per.

I say they'll probably sign him...but I don't think trading him is out of the question either. We know they oilers don't mind dealing their stars.

User avatar
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:44 am

Post by mattola » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:34 pm

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:No chance in hell they trade him.

No way, He'll be an Oiler for life.... he'll be a captain and be the best Oilers Captain since Messier.. the last man to lead them to a cup.

Let alone trade him to a division rival.
not that I think they will trade him cause I dont

but you didnt think they would ever trade the greatest player EVER and no I dont mean Messier. 99 was traded, 11 was traded no player is to stop a GM in this new NHL to do anything to make their team better in a cap world. I still think 94 will stay but never say never.

User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Post by levelheaded » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:48 pm

mattola wrote:
JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:No chance in hell they trade him.

No way, He'll be an Oiler for life.... he'll be a captain and be the best Oilers Captain since Messier.. the last man to lead them to a cup.

Let alone trade him to a division rival.
not that I think they will trade him cause I dont

but you didnt think they would ever trade the greatest player EVER and no I dont mean Messier. 99 was traded, 11 was traded no player is to stop a GM in this new NHL to do anything to make their team better in a cap world. I still think 94 will stay but never say never.

It's not like they traded Gretzky or Messier to a rival... I still think Smyth will resign with the Oilers, but if he doesn't, they'll trade him out east/ to a non-Northwest team. As much as I want Smyth banging home the Sedin's loose pucks, it isn't going to happen.

User avatar
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:44 am

Post by mattola » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:50 pm

levelheaded wrote:

It's not like they traded Gretzky or Messier to a rival... I still think Smyth will resign with the Oilers, but if he doesn't, they'll trade him out east/ to a non-Northwest team. As much as I want Smyth banging home the Sedin's loose pucks, it isn't going to happen.
and the avs wouldnt trade Tanguay to a rival? in this new NHL the best deal is the deal that will be made no matter who and where.

User avatar
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:02 am

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:51 pm

Smyth will be in an Oiler jersey next year, if not.... WCE is banned.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:20 am

Post by Jelly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:06 am

Messier will play next year, if not... JamesOwnzSam11 is banned.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.

User avatar
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:02 am

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:50 am

No
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund

User avatar
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Timmins, Ontario

Post by Linden Is God » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:06 am

If they resign Smtyh, I have a feeling they'll have to move someone else. I heard somewhere that the Oilers are hurting and they don't want the cap to go over $44 million.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Harold
CC Veteran
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:10 pm
Location: Edmonton

Post by Harold » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:42 am

Jelly wrote:Messier will play next year, if not... JamesOwnzSam11 is banned.
We could all only hope (the latter, not the former)

User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Post by levelheaded » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:18 pm

mattola wrote:
levelheaded wrote:

It's not like they traded Gretzky or Messier to a rival... I still think Smyth will resign with the Oilers, but if he doesn't, they'll trade him out east/ to a non-Northwest team. As much as I want Smyth banging home the Sedin's loose pucks, it isn't going to happen.
and the avs wouldnt trade Tanguay to a rival? in this new NHL the best deal is the deal that will be made no matter who and where.
That's a completely different situation IMO. I didn't say that trades in the division will never happen, just trading Smyth in the northwest won't. Smyth is for all intents and purposes the captain in Oiltown, and has been the heart and soul of that team for the last 8-10 years. He is a fan favourite and the city's adopted son. I don't think the same thing could be said for Tanguay when he was in Colorado.

Even in Vancouver/Calgary offered a MUCH better deal for Smyth, Lowe would get eaten alive by Edmonton fans. Could you imagine what would've happened to Keenan if he had traded Linden to the Leaves or Calgary? He faced enough criticism for the move despite the fact that noone in Vancouver (post 1982) cared about the Islanders.

You can't compare the Tanguay trade to the possible Smyth trade in any way. They are ENTIRELY different situations.

User avatar
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1946
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: 50° 10' North / 8° 34' East

Post by Cookie La Rue » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:11 pm

hell yeah, what pipe dreams, i guess even Iggy is coming with him to Van. :lol: :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:20 am

Post by Jelly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:29 pm

Iggy Smyth and Sakic, our second line!

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:13 pm

Post by SRsez » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:56 pm

No, no, a billion times no. No whiny, yappy Calgary jerkoffs are allowed on the Canucks, no matter how good they can play (which is debatable).

What I was trying to equate was:If Forsberg's worth a 1st, 3rd, Parent & Upshall, what is Ryan Smyth worth? Considerably more. The guy's a better player, leader, he's younger, (comparatively) never hurt, and at this stage of their respective careers, scores more often too.

Of course he's not coming here, but is he leaving Edmonton, and if so, who's going to pay for him?
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

Post Reply