Forsberg to be traded to Nashville Shortly

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Forsberg to be traded to Nashville Shortly

Post by levelheaded » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:11 pm

He's a Healthy Scratch tonight.

As Per TSN.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=196374&hubname=

At least that'll stop the millions of 'Forsberg to Vancouver' rumours. Nashville just mad e itself the Stanley cup favourites if this goes through. Too bad the fans in Tenesee don't show up because they're going to miss some great hockey over the rest of the year.

EDIT: It's Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent a First and a 3rd round pick going the other way. Holy hell that is a lot to give up for a rental player.

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:20 pm

That is a lot ... way too much in my mind ... We can put the whole thing to bed now ... just glad we didn't pay that kind of price.

Grizz

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:28 pm

So Nonis decides to keep draft picks that will be wasted on nothing......

God damn you Nonis.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:31 pm

Holy crap what a great trade for Philly! I'm suprised a team was willing to give up that much for Forsberg despite how great a player he is. Of course it was tempting to imagine Forsberg here but I think it's safe to say Canucks fans are thrilled we didn't trade for him if that was the asking price.

That certainly makes Nashville the team to beat. Should be interesting to see how they do this year in the playoffs providing they have Vokoun this time around! Their defense, however, remains suspect. Regardless, I wouldn't want to play them in the first round (unless the alternative was not making the playoffs at all).

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:40 pm

Nashville is one of those teams that has a serious chance at winning the Cup ... and giving it some more thought from my earlier comment I would have to say ... Yes it is alot for the average team ... but for Nashville it may not necessarily be as much ... for them it might just be the golden brick in their house.

Grizz

Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:54 pm

The draft picks Nonis has are not enough to land Forsberg, even if he was willing to part with all of them.

trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:13 pm

meh.
Looks like the way to manage a team these days is to sign a big name, then deal him at the deadline for picks and prospects.
I only want Foopa so he could play with Naslund. Otherwise, meh.
Didn't Nashville write the book on nocturnal emmisions?
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:47 pm

This team is done.... we can't stand pat again.

But if Nonis wouldn't give up for Forsberg no way he gives up a 1st + extra stuff for a Guerin or Smoke.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund

Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:03 pm

The team is "done" way before the start of the season. Nobody expected them to be a cup contender and many had doubts whether they'll make the Playoffs. Now at least the team looks like playoffs-bound, and that's already exceeding expectations. Joining the "arms race" at this point doesn't make sense.

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:22 pm

Grizzly wrote:Nashville is one of those teams that has a serious chance at winning the Cup ... and giving it some more thought from my earlier comment I would have to say ... Yes it is alot for the average team ... but for Nashville it may not necessarily be as much ... for them it might just be the golden brick in their house.

Grizz
Providing they win. The hype over Forsberg is ludicrous, as if he's the best player in the game.
rockalt wrote:That certainly makes Nashville the team to beat. Should be interesting to see how they do this year in the playoffs providing they have Vokoun this time around! Their defense, however, remains suspect. Regardless, I wouldn't want to play them in the first round (unless the alternative was not making the playoffs at all).
Their defense is young, not suspect. Timonen & Zidlicky are what they are (serviceable veterans), but Weber, Suter& Hamhuis are all blue chip prospects. Regardless, the entire team has less combined playoff experience than Forsberg, and that means they are beatable.

And the best thing would be to have Calgary face them in the 1st round.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:02 pm

Glad we didn't touch him. Upshall hasn't amounted to much, but Parent has yet to play in the N, plus two draft picks, for a guy that might only play 2/3 of the games left...in a conference that is probably much more physical.

James, I don't get your stand pat comment...we did the exact opposite last year and got burned by it. Don't start believing that since this team is in the hunt for the division it can be considered a legitimate cup contender. It's just not at that stage where it ranks with the Ducks or Preds of this conference.

I think those 2nd rounders could be of some serious use...especially the LA one (considereing it's so high in that round). Anson Carter might get some interest at this point, considering his salary is now do-able, although I hope they do go looking for another big bruiser and a 5-6 D-man.

Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:36 pm

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:This team is done.... we can't stand pat again.

But if Nonis wouldn't give up for Forsberg no way he gives up a 1st + extra stuff for a Guerin or Smoke.
No way Nonis could match that offer..if you think he could have without harming this organization, you're out there. This team doesn't have the depth, nor is it in a position to gamble with a rental/oft injured Peter Forsberg.

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:47 am

Wow, what a deal.

Poile knows this is the best chance he's gonna get. Good move for the Preds, it has to make them the favourite, especially with the way they've been playing this year.

And there's no way Nonis could have, or should have matched this. It's the equivalent of Kesler, Edler, a 1st and a 3rd. We just don't have the luxury of tossing youth away like that.

God, it would suck to have a town like Nashville celebrating the cup. Their so called "fans" gloating of being the champions of "ice hockey."

Why do the Gods mock us like this? Too many hockey teams in useless markets, thanks a bunch Buttman.
Eyes on the Prize

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:56 am

SRsez wrote:
rockalt wrote:That certainly makes Nashville the team to beat. Should be interesting to see how they do this year in the playoffs providing they have Vokoun this time around! Their defense, however, remains suspect. Regardless, I wouldn't want to play them in the first round (unless the alternative was not making the playoffs at all).
Their defense is young, not suspect. Timonen & Zidlicky are what they are (serviceable veterans), but Weber, Suter& Hamhuis are all blue chip prospects. Regardless, the entire team has less combined playoff experience than Forsberg, and that means they are beatable.

And the best thing would be to have Calgary face them in the 1st round.
My bad SRsez. I wasn't particularly familiar with the Nashville D. I figured they were suspect considering they seemed to be nothing last year when Vokoun went out. Sounds like a decently talented defense. The only thing is they are a high octane offense, so I guess they could be prone to give up more quality scoring chances (a la the Canucks of the last few years). I haven't seen enough Nashville games but from the ones I have watched, that's what I have observed.

Indeed, I have to agree that the best thing would be to have Calgary face them in the first round. It would be one hell of a series but I think Nashville would prevail unless Vokoun goes down again. Calgary would be a great test and would probably wear them down. If anything, this playoffs should be exciting. Lots of parity in the West.

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:10 am

To VAN: Forsberg

To Philly: Our 1st in 07, a 2nd in 07 ( maybe two) Schinder then some throw in..