Denis Hamel

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Larionov
CC Veteran

Denis Hamel

Post by Larionov »

The Senators have put forward Denis Hamel on waivers today (Feb. 9), so IIRC he has until Sunday to clear.

People will look at his NHL numbers this year and say the guy is horrible, but check his ice time -- he has been getting four minutes a game when he has played, all with the fourth line. Dude scored 56 goals in the AHL last year, which is 8th in AHL history for most goals in a season. You don't score 56 goals in the "A" by having no skill. The problem for the Sens is that this is the kind of guy who needs to be getting top six forward kind of minutes if you want him to produce, and for whatever reason Bryan Murray had decided that this guy wasn't going to ever get those minutes in Ottawa.

Anyway, I think the Canucks are nuts if they don't put in a claim. He is very affordable, as he was only earning 700K or so this year. Pro rated over the balance of this season, and it's less than 200K on the payroll. Given the trouble this team has scoring, it's well worth a shot.
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

700k is nothing. But it seems like every player that we have hope in recedes, except fro Anson Carter. I say put an offer on him.
I Hart Luongo.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Interesting idea.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

That would be a great pickup imo. He'd definitely be a better addition than Santala. I'd say pick him up & give Santala the boot to Winnipeg for good.

Check out his stats from his final year in junior:
70gp 50-50-100 339pim

I'd say he has a bit of grit to his game.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Too late. He was claimed by Atlanta.

link http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=195645&hubname=nhl
R.I.P. Luc.
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

Doh! How does the waiver rule work -- is it the current standings, or last year's? Based on this year's standings, we should have had a crack at him before Atlanta, but then again my trust in Nonis's instincts are pretty minimal -- maybe we didn't put in a claim at all...
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

As I understand it we would have had the option before Atlanta based upon our place in the standings this year. I guess this means Nonis was not interested.
R.I.P. Luc.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

That means that he will score tonight if he's in the lineup ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Denis Hamel

Post by ClamRussel »

Larionov wrote:The Senators have put forward Denis Hamel on waivers today (Feb. 9), so IIRC he has until Sunday to clear.
I thought he had until sunday, doesn't that mean there was still time to put in a claim?