Deadline pickups

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

Fred wrote:I must say if I was to try and make a trade today I'd try nad pick up either Carter or Richards from Philly for Kesler. They seemed very interested in Kesler and although he can't be traded for a year we can complete the deal for Future and the future being Kesler
Can the Nucks really trade Kesler as a "futures"? Interesting.... What happens if he comes back from his injury in time for the playoffs? Can the Nucks still use him?
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Grizzly wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:Owen Nolan... Just turned 35, $1.225M, shoots R and plays RW... He's also played some center which would give Vancouver some flexibility... He's also a +2 on a defensively dreadful Coyotes team... Cheaper than Tkachunk and Guerin and I think a fair bit more responsible in his own end. It might not cost DN much to get him, wouldn't cost a roster player, and he might be motivated to re-sign for another season. Tell me he wouldn't be more effective than Marc Chouinard...
I think that this is a very very interesting idea ... he also adds that edge to the team as well cause he is a bit of a bruiser out there ... I am not sure what his reputation is within a locker room but if its fairly clean at 1.22M I would give it some serious consideration ...

Is he actually on the block for a trade ... or is this more of a "what do you think of" type post ??

Grizz
Link courtesy of Spector... Go get him, DN... :)
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

The Province wrote:Nonis denied rumours that he was close to finalizing a deal for St. Louis Blues' rental Bill Guerin -- or any other player -- but said trade talks league-wide are heating up.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Here're some scouting reports on Owen Nolan:

From just before he was traded by SJ to Toronto: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_98172091
STRENGTHS: Nolan is a pure shooter with a Lethal one-timer. He is dangerous alongside a good playmaker, so he should be taking the shots, not setting them up. He is a decent skater without the puck and can drive to open areas. He is a weapon on the power play and has an around-the-net move that freezes most goalies. Nolan is strong and plays a physical game with a nasty edge.
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Owen_Nolan/
Is an excellent all-around performer, capable of leading both his team in scoring and the dressing room. Has good size and an excellent shot. Also chips in defensively.
Git 'er done, DN!!!
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I think Nolan would be the guy to go after... a great mix of talent, experience and grit ... all for a decent price. IMO a player like him is a perfect pick up for this team

... Guerin would also be a decent pickup however correct me if I am wrong ... his price is quite a bit steeper.

Grizz
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Grizzly wrote:I think Nolan would be the guy to go after... a great mix of talent, experience and grit ... all for a decent price. IMO a player like him is a perfect pick up for this team

... Guerin would also be a decent pickup however correct me if I am wrong ... his price is quite a bit steeper.

Grizz
Either one of those boys would fit in well on this team. We're missing exactly what they bring.

Guerin is rumored to have a list of teams he'd go to (guess there is a NTC) and we're not on the list. Not sure where I heard that so hopefully I'm not spreading a false rumor. Plus he'd probably be pretty costly to get.

Nolan on the other hand...
R.I.P. Luc.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

After reading this post, I am a big fan of getting Nolan. Totally under my radar actually, never thought of him before now.

What would it take?

One of the second round picks and the rights to Chubie?
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Unless one of you works for DN, I think this might fly under his radar as well! :lol: :lol: I'm guessing a second rounder would do... He's a UFA by the summer so anything is better than nothing I suppose... Unless there is a market for him and all indications seem to be that the interest is directed towards Tkachunk and Guerin, and to a lesser extent Carter... To make the numbers work, I wonder if they'd be willing to take Bulis (because let's face it, Chouinard's two-year contract is an anchor nobody wants...) until the end of the year.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:Unless one of you works for DN, I think this might fly under his radar as well! :lol: :lol:
I hope to god our GM and the rest of our hockey staff smarter (or at least as smart? :lol:) As some of us posting on these forums or we're all in trouble! If Nolan is off DN's radar then he's not doing his job. I'm sure they've got a list of UFA's and RFA's, and other possible players they're looking at going after. if Nolan hasn't even been considered at some point, well... all I'll say is I have mroe faith in DN then that. They might for whatever reason decide not to go with him (a mistake imo) but to not have even noticed that he would be a possibility? There's no excuse. A right handed PWF type with a big shot... is this not the exact type of player we always are talking about for the twins??

The thing that scares me the most is that there may be some truth to what you say, theCunningLinguist!
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I'd love to get Anson Carter here if the price is right. Carter has PROVEN chemistry with the Sedins'. Since these guys were good friends off the ice as well, I think our team chemistry will be increased even moreso.

Owen Nolan coming here is intriguing as well (for reasons already stated in this thread), but I've heard that he can be a bit of a prick (this may not be accurate though). If that's the case, then is it really worth getting a guy who might have a negative effect on our team chemistry?

If the Canucks are destined to make minor deals at the deadline, then I'd rather see them pick-up a defenseman...one of which can comfortably play top 4 should one of our current top 4 get hurt. The Canucks success is highly correlated with their defensive depth (as the stats and record have shown this season). Nonis needs to insure that things stay that way.