Adversity and who's coming out of the west for the playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Adversity and who's coming out of the west for the playoffs

Post by JCardinal »

Over the years watching hockey I've become a huge believer in adversity.

It seems to lead to real contenders for the cup.

When the Canucks were struggling early I actually was digging it because it was always my feeling that if they had it too easy early on it was going to be a bad sign for their finish at the end of the season.

Teams can appear to be doing really well, racking up the points, but it's like they are hollow on the inside, without having to go through any serious struggles as a team during the season they cave under real pressure when it matters.

My prediction for who comes out of the west for the finals is that it's going to be a North West division team. It's a pirranha tank division and by the time the playoffs come around, barring only injury I'm thinking the constant pressure cooker for most of the season is going to turn out a real contender.

There's another style of winning that comes from keeping that adversity and struggle mental attitude throughout the season for back to back cup wins, but it's very rare and with the current parity in the league I'm sure we're going to see way less of it than prior to the cap.
orts
CC Veteran

Re: Adversity and who's coming out of the west for the playo

Post by orts »

JCardinal wrote:Over the years watching hockey I've become a huge believer in adversity.
What do you mean by "adversity?" I had the impression that it meant when a team had stuff to struggle through mentally off the ice, like when a teammate gets sick or dies or something.

I find that sports announcers are starting to use "adversity" (creating their own jargon again) to just mean any time a team goes through a Time Of Sucking. And I think that cheapens the term "adversity."

That's not to say that I don't think the Time Of Sucking at the beginning of the year didn't improve the Canucks' outlook a lot.
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Adversity and who's coming out of the west for the playo

Post by JCardinal »

orts wrote:
JCardinal wrote:Over the years watching hockey I've become a huge believer in adversity.
What do you mean by "adversity?" I had the impression that it meant when a team had stuff to struggle through mentally off the ice, like when a teammate gets sick or dies or something.

I find that sports announcers are starting to use "adversity" (creating their own jargon again) to just mean any time a team goes through a Time Of Sucking. And I think that cheapens the term "adversity."

That's not to say that I don't think the Time Of Sucking at the beginning of the year didn't improve the Canucks' outlook a lot.
By adversity I mean sucking I guess. But not just sucking, but sucking and working hard to overcome it and get better.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I find that sports announcers are starting to use "adversity" (creating their own jargon again) to just mean any time a team goes through a Time Of Sucking.
" A Time Of Sucking"??

Now who is creating jargon?

albiet it's good jargon, It made me laugh, I like it and plan to use it but..... still creation in action :)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
" A Time Of Sucking"??

Now who is creating jargon?

albiet it's good jargon, It made me laugh, I like it and plan to use it but..... still creation in action :)
It may very well catch on. I can just picture Jim Hughson looking askance at Drew Remenda and saying witheringly, "Adversity? What are you talking about? That wasn't adversity. It was just a Time of Sucking."