salary cap and forsberg

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

where did you see it grizz? I'd love to read it too...

I'm fully aware Forsberg isn't a sure thing, but still, isn't it worth a shot? Philly doesn't have any illusions of making the playoffs this year, so it isn't as though they are gonna be super concerned about getting that offense back for this year. And as far as the draft goes, if we squeak into the playoffs, our first round pick will be middle of the pack, and we have a ton of second rounders in from what I understand is supposedly a really deep draft, so giving up a first wouldn't be too over the top. And maybe Philly would take Bulis, as his contract comes off the books this summer anyway, and gives them some more space. And if we're really wishing, maybe they'd like Chouinard too? :)

We could send Bulis, Chouinard, and a first rounder for Forsberg. :)

I konw that's getting rediculous, but hey, that's the fun of this whole "in a perfect world..." thing, anyway, right?
Mozy

Post by Mozy »

no matter what you say about forsberg i think you're just asking to get bitten in the ass with his record of injuries...the only thing i like is that in his career he's averaged something like 0.9 assists per game...that would really increase our scoring output if you threw him on a line with naslund. just a thought. but still i think that unless he has a good healthy season he's too much of a liability.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

where did you see it grizz? I'd love to read it too...
Not to advertise this site or anything (sorry Brian) but it was on Canucks.com ... I usually browse through there and see whats happening and if there is something of interest ... I'll leave my opinion/observations on them out though !!

As far as the rumour goes I think it probably was just that ... a rumour ... doesn't seem to be anything substantial and I haven't heard anything or anyone else supporting it. As I said before .... take it for what its worth.

Grizz
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Remeber what Forsberg said when he signed with the Flyers? He said that he didn't want to sign with the Canucks, even though that would reunite Naslund and him, because of the heated rivalry between the Canucks and the Avalanche. He has the no-trade clause in his contract, and I doubt anything has changed enough for him to waive it to go to the Canucks. In fact, I suspect that he wanted the no-trade clause to ensure he won't end up being traded to the Canucks, or other rivals of the Avs.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

I dunno... its not as though its the same avs team we're talking about.

I mean, if Brad May can play in Denver, then it's a whole 'nother ball game.
Mozy

Post by Mozy »

while we're considering former avs hell lets sign Steve Moore guys :lol: ;)
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Mozy wrote:while we're considering former avs hell lets sign Steve Moore guys :lol: ;)
Didn't he have a broken neck ?? I'm not sure he is well enough yet to play. :roll:

Grizz
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Kesler has certainly cleared up some Cap space, maybe Forsberg is a possability after all
cheers
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Fred wrote:Kesler has certainly cleared up some Cap space, maybe Forsberg is a possability after all
As much as I like him ... No thanks ... a complete rent a player with big time injury problems ... no guarantees at all with him.

Grizz
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

I agree, the Kesler thing makes this kinda interesting now... all of a sudden we have the cap room, and with Forsberg being a UFA, it won't matter when Kes comes back... hmmm...
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

I would not give up anyone ..... I would not subtract a current Canuck for Forsberg...we can gain more depth & add more players from teams that are selling off players...Philly is going to push a bidding war for a player that may or may not play at top speed again this year.....I like Gelinas from Florida..last year of his contract & he makes under 1 mil...there will be lots more teams selling in the next couple of weeks...& the Canucks have to decide what to do with SALO...there are a lot more options now that Kesslers 1.9 mil is off the table......
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

there are a lot more options now that Kesslers 1.9 mil is off the table......
Thats a very good point ... until he comes back anyways... 3 months would be the end of April & 4 the end of May ... Nucks would have to be deep in the playoffs before he is back.

Grizz
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

but salaries don't count towards the cap in the playoffs. It would only matter that we are back under the cap number by the start of the following season, so when Kesler comes back wouldn't matter. If we pick up upcoming UFA's, everything works out fine:)
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Kel wrote:Remeber what Forsberg said when he signed with the Flyers? He said that he didn't want to sign with the Canucks, even though that would reunite Naslund and him, because of the heated rivalry between the Canucks and the Avalanche.
That was then, this is now. Time heals all wounds & even though he didn't want to go directly to Vancouver I'm guessing now that he's spent time w/ Philly that he'd react differntly to the chance to play w/ Nazzy.

With about a million in cap room plus Kesler's salary saved I'd say Nonis should go for it!

Anyone who thinks Forsberg & Naslund together wouldn't be exciting should get their head of the sand. Forsberg would immediately be our top forward imo and could even play the point on the PP. Imagine this:

Naslund-Sedin-Sedin
Forsberg-Ohlund

That would be something else!
I don't know what it would take.....but a player plus picks....it would totally be worth the shot! Perhaps Nonis could entice Philly w/ a package of 2nd round picks instead of the first. Edler could be trade bait....so too could Schnieder.

Any success in the playoffs is going to depend on an energized Naslund and this could do the trick.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

gosh... I wasn't expecting to feel this way, but Edler is too much. I want to hang on to him and Bourdon for as long as possible. A defensive core of Bieksa, Edler, Koltsov, and Bourdon is way too tempting to start throwing those guys at Forsberg for a few months.