salary cap and forsberg

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

As much as we think that Forsberg has lost it, he is still close to a point a game player, and hasn't had less than a point a game in his NHL career. I think he still has gas in the tank.

As for rekindling the fire in Naslund - that depends on how healthy he is. If Naslund is still nursing an injury, Forsberg isn't going to help. On the other hand, Forsberg with the twins could be interesting.

This is still a long a shot that I wouldn't put my money on.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Well you have to give to get.....Forsberg is the proven commodity.....I can recall all too many highly thought of prospects being traded......wincing at the future then realizing over time that they just weren't going to pan out. Look at most of the draft picks & prospects Edmonton aquired over the years for proven vets. Its a crapshoot at best.

I remember Quinn passing on Adam Oates because Boston wanted Holden & Schaefer....in hindsight that might have been magic having Oates between Bure & Mogilny. Now we'll never know.

I'd say Bourdon is the keeper & all the rest of our prospects are fair game as tradebait. Sometimes you just have to go w/ it. We may never have another goalie like this again so we can't worry too much about 10 yrs down the road.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ClamRussel wrote:We may never have another goalie like this again so we can't worry too much about 10 yrs down the road.
And that's a good point. Long suffering Canuck fans have been waiting for this moment. We need to build around our strength (Luongo) and work towards a Cup run within 3 years.

If we go with the 'knowns', then we may stand a better chance. Whether it's Forsberg or some other part of the puzzle, we need to build the contender sooner rather than later.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

am I the only one who heard Darren Dreger on Hockeycentral mention the news that he'd heard Forsberg had agreed to waive his NTC? I've hunted for awhile now, and can't find any mention of this anywhere else...
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

This is the first year of the 'Lunogo" era...wouldn't the GM see what his high priced players can do with what he has 'in the stable' as it were...IMO this is not the Stanley Cup team ..it is the staging of a good team...maybe a really good team...Forsberg is not in this plan...hell Naslund is on the outer edge of the plan....if this team wants to make a run at it this year...there are far better choices that would cost us far less available.....our team has proven that it is durable through injuries to top players, slumps by our high priced players, & no real contribution from any rookies....Please..No Forsberg for our future...
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

And just to make it interesting, Forsberg waives his NTC... :shock:

Let the auction begin!
Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

Another intersting scenario, I was just scrolling through the TSN trade centre and they have Sundin listed as being available as a pure rental. Knowing that he'll almost certainly resign in TO in the offseason his asking price probably wouldn't be too unreasonable, having a big centermen with some leadership and experience couldn't hurt could it? That being said, it is a pure rumor that he's even available and probably even more far-fetched that he'd be on his way here, but hey, weirder things have happened...
Mozy

Post by Mozy »

am I the only one who heard Darren Dreger on Hockeycentral mention the news that he'd heard Forsberg had agreed to waive his NTC? I've hunted for awhile now, and can't find any mention of this anywhere else...
i hate how all the sports shows just assume TO is going to pick him up. but apparently in all the TO centered media i was hearing rumours of sundin being on the trade block. so picture that. Naslund, Forsberg and Sundin on a line...
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I just about fell out of my chair last nite when they announced that Forsberg would waive his no trade clause to go to a contender ... one of the teams mentioned was Toronto !!!! Do they ever live in a bubble over there ... unbelievable !!!

Grizz