Report out of Toronto

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Report out of Toronto

Post by rockalt » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:30 pm

So, I've spent the last month sojourning in sunny Portugal and France, completely in a state of hockey oblivion. A lot has happened to this team while I was gone. For one, they went on a 7 game winning streak (which if not for that awful Minny game would be 9 at this point). Second, Naslund stops scoring completely! What's up with that? Anyway, I have lots of questions which I was hoping to have answered here as I hadn't seen the Canucks play in quite some time.

Well, I happened to be coming home to Vancouver via a stopover in Toronto to visit some family. I decided to check the Canucks schedule out of pure curiousity and low and behold they happened to be playing the Leaves two days after I arrived in TO. Perfect! I started the trash talking with my uncle, asking how much I could get tickets from a scalper (because there was no way I was missing this opportunity) and he manages to score centre ice tickets! So without further ado, here are some observations from a Toronto-born Vancouverite on his night in Leafland.

1. There is nothing more satisfying than watching the Canucks trounce the Leaves in Toronto.

2. There are WAY more Canucks fans in this country than I ever imagined! You know how it's really annoying at Canucks-Leaves games in GM place when all the old Leaves fans show up and start cheering loudly? Well I always assumed this could not be matched in Toronto.

At first I thought I had lucked out in my section by the fact about 1/4 of the fans were wearing various Canucks jerseys. This was not the case. There were loud cheers for numerous Canucks players and goals. At several points in the game there were "Go Canucks Go" chants throughout the crowd which Leaf fans had a difficult time drowning out.

3. Embarassing my uncle is a pure joy. I regrettably didn't have any Canucks wear on me (as I was returning directly from Europe), so I felt I needed to compensate for this by making my support of the Canucks clear to everyone in our section. I was yelling, screaming, and giving standing o's after save after save by Luongo and continuous Canuck goals. I got a number of dirty looks and stares but it was well worth it!

4. Roberto Luongo is freaking spectacular! He really is a treat to watch live! All I could hear from Leaf fans around me was how quick his glovehand is or how he's such an imposing a goaltender. He was in top form and made a number of wicked saves (the glove save in the third was the best, IMO)

5. What's with Nazzy? I mean sure he scored in the third but he really didn't look that impressive. Has he been this marginal throughout this last month? I know it seems odd to criticize him on a night when he scored and his team won big but he really doesn't have much presence out there anymore. It's sad.

6. Despite the lopsided victory, the Canucks really didn't seem to play that well. In fact, going into the third, I thought Roberto was quite clearly stealing this game for us. Thankfully, the Leaves really sucked and completely imploded in the third.

7. A perfect penalty kill and 5 powerplay goals? Yes, that's how you get it done on the special teams!

8. Walking around this city the last few days, I'm overwhelmed by its mediocrity! :lol: This in spite of the fact that it has significant nostalgic value to me. Seriously I'm constantly asking myself why it took my parents so long to decide to move to Vancouver. We really are spoiled here. Every Canadian city pales in comparison!

9. How do you post images? I have a great one I want to put here, but it didn't work. Can you not upload it from your computer?

Wow, long enough post. Sorry about that but I haven't posted in a long time. Just wanted to share how fun it can be to be a fan in a foreign city. My first experience was a great one!

sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:24 pm

sounds like a fun evening. Pissing off TO fans!!!!
good on ya!

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Report out of Toronto

Post by Linden Is God » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:32 pm

rockalt wrote: 3. Embarassing my uncle is a pure joy. I regrettably didn't have any Canucks wear on me (as I was returning directly from Europe), so I felt I needed to compensate for this by making my support of the Canucks clear to everyone in our section. I was yelling, screaming, and giving standing o's after save after save by Luongo and continuous Canuck goals. I got a number of dirty looks and stares but it was well worth it! !
You know, I love how we're rude when we go to their arena and cheer for the visiting team, but when they do it, and are jack asses in the process, it's acceptable.

In 2000 I saw the Leaves play the Canucks at the ACC. Canucks won 4-1 and I got a butt load of dirty stares when I cheered.

Thursday night I was at the Leaves/Sabres game in Buffalo, and I was appalled and disgusted with the things I saw Leaf fans do. Here's a little recap of them

1. A guy was banging on the glass, and he was asked by security to stop. So he and his 2 friends jumped the security guard.

2. I was standing near the exit to my section, when a guy wearing a Leaves jersey came out the same exit. He was heading towards the nearby washroom, when he SHOVED an elderly man into the wall. The man had done nothing to warrant it.

3. I saw at least 5 Leaf fans get dragged out by security.

4, The obscenities used around the kids was just disgusting. I don't mind it when it's between adults, but when a family goes there to have a nice night out, it's just wrong.

5. Still standing by the same exit I mentioned earlier, a group of Leaf fans gathered nearby. They were taunt and hollering at each and every noticeable Sabres fan they saw. One girl (must have been 18 or 19) had the foulest dirtiest mouth on her. Telling the Sabres fans they had small penis' and they should suck one as well.

6. I saw at least 3 fights in the stands, which I wouldn't discount that Leaf fans had started.

In conclusion, Leaf fans are the pukes of the hockey world.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:43 am

I worry that bandwagon riders make nuckleheads look bad sometimes too. I dont like it when the fans boo thier own team. Even if the team deserves it.
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke

Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Rising Sun Canuck » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:04 am

trevor corey wrote:I worry that bandwagon riders make nuckleheads look bad sometimes too. I dont like it when the fans boo thier own team. Even if the team deserves it.
Yea, I'm not big on the booing of your own team either- you're their to support your team, remember it's called home-field advantage.

I also can stand it when idiots at games pick fights, bang the glass and yell shoot on the powerplay! ..got i hate that.

orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:56 am

rockalt wrote: 1. There is nothing more satisfying than watching the Canucks trounce the Leaves in Toronto.
Amen.

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:15 am

Nice report. 8-)

I watched the game also with a Toronto fan. :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:42 am

How the hell did your uncle score last-minute center-ice tickets in Toronto?! Either your uncle is extremely rich, or has a cult of followers worshiping him. :lol:

BTW, I attended a Canuck-Leaf game at ACC in the 2003-04 season and didn't mind the fans around me. It's Montreal where I've always faced a fair bit of abuse (both political and non-political), and had beer poured on me "by accident." The Leaf fans at least know the Canucks, e.g., have Luongo or, e.g., drafted Trevor Linden. The Hab fans have no clue about any Western team, but have strong opinions on them nevertheless.

sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:37 am

As sweet as it was to beat the Laffs last night, IMO it pales in comparison to giving a smackdown to the soilers or flamers.
God, I hate those guys........

orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:51 pm

rockalt wrote: 8. Walking around this city the last few days, I'm overwhelmed by its mediocrity! This in spite of the fact that it has significant nostalgic value to me. Seriously I'm constantly asking myself why it took my parents so long to decide to move to Vancouver. We really are spoiled here. Every Canadian city pales in comparison!
Y'know, it's kind of funny. I felt exactly the same emotions when I went the other way and returned to Vancouver last summer. Kind of like "Meh. Beautiful, but sterile. Very little culture or interesting stuff to do in the city. Not much in the way of neighbourhoods except from Main to Commercial. Nothing happening after 11 at night. Downtown core surrendered to condos and uptight joggers. Good coffee and great pot, though."

Don't get me wrong. If I could move back out west (not necessarily to Van) I'd do it for sure; but Toronto is a fun and interesting city to live in. Minus the hockey team, of course.

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:53 pm

orts wrote:
rockalt wrote: 8. Walking around this city the last few days, I'm overwhelmed by its mediocrity! This in spite of the fact that it has significant nostalgic value to me. Seriously I'm constantly asking myself why it took my parents so long to decide to move to Vancouver. We really are spoiled here. Every Canadian city pales in comparison!
Y'know, it's kind of funny. I felt exactly the same emotions when I went the other way and returned to Vancouver last summer. Kind of like "Meh. Beautiful, but sterile. Very little culture or interesting stuff to do in the city. Not much in the way of neighbourhoods except from Main to Commercial. Nothing happening after 11 at night. Downtown core surrendered to condos and uptight joggers. Good coffee and great pot, though."

Don't get me wrong. If I could move back out west (not necessarily to Van) I'd do it for sure; but Toronto is a fun and interesting city to live in. Minus the hockey team, of course.
Toronto is big and has a lot of people - I'll give you that! In honesty, I'm more teasing than anything else because most of my family is from Toronto. I was ribbing them a lot. The thing is though, Vancouver is a much prettier city. There are obviously advantages to both (Toronto = big city, more stuff to do) but I suppose I was underwhelmed because I was just coming from Paris and London. In terms of big cities, there's nothing really special about this place.

Just out of curiousity, if you want to move back West why not Vancouver? You thinking fo somewhere else in BC or godforbid, Alberta?
How the hell did your uncle score last-minute center-ice tickets in Toronto?! Either your uncle is extremely rich, or has a cult of followers worshiping him.
He called some former client seeing if he could buy a pair and the guy gave him them for free! Definitely a sweet deal. The tickets were 189 each! Ouch! Apparently this was a highly coveted game. I guess because Vancouver hadn't been here since 2003.

orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:12 pm

rockalt wrote:The thing is though, Vancouver is a much prettier city. There are obviously advantages to both (Toronto = big city, more stuff to do) but I suppose I was underwhelmed because I was just coming from Paris and London. In terms of big cities, there's nothing really special about this place.

Just out of curiousity, if you want to move back West why not Vancouver? You thinking fo somewhere else in BC or godforbid, Alberta?
Well, if all you want is "pretty," you're much better off on the Island or in the Kootenays or the north Okanagan (where I grew up); at least there, you're out in the middle of nature, instead of having to drive to it from Van. My objection to Vancouver is the way it's been taken over by sterile money-worshippers who haven't really added anything in the way of culture (see my comment about joggers and condos above). It's a location with so much potential, but is just being neglected or run into the ground by developers and airheads.

Yeah, in terms of culture, Toronto doesn't match up to Paris or London; but it's more diverse than either (I value that), and cultural-event-wise it beats the hell out of Vancouver. Sorry to say it, 'cause I have huge nostalgia for Van.

All this is moot for me, because I'm in a career where I just have to go where the universities are... Anywhere except Alberta. I've lived there :p

orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:39 pm

orts wrote:
Yeah, in terms of culture, Toronto doesn't match up to Paris or London; but it's more diverse than either (I value that), and cultural-event-wise it beats the hell out of Vancouver.
Forgot to mention! Was just talking to a friend, and we agreed that Vancouver has something else that Toronto doesn't: great independent coffee shops. In Toronto, I'm almost grateful to see a fuckin' Starbucks. It's that bad here.

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:34 pm

orts wrote: Forgot to mention! Was just talking to a friend, and we agreed that Vancouver has something else that Toronto doesn't: great independent coffee shops. In Toronto, I'm almost grateful to see a fuckin' Starbucks. It's that bad here.
Farbeit from me to defend Toronto in a Vancouver-Toronto showdown, but having spent the last 4 and a half years in 3 Toronto neighborhoods, I can confidently state that there were plenty of independent coffee shops to be had...!

My favorite was probably Coffee and All That Jazz (Howard Park and Roncesvalles), near the address where I lived the longest. In my most recent neighborhood, I was a regular at World Class Bakers (St. Clair and Christie). When I was in the Annex, I'd often go to the now-defunct Shakespeare Cafe or any of the other many hangouts.

mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:50 pm

As far as cities go, TO is no better or no worse than other cities. There are things to like and things to dislike about it. Because greater TO is 5 million people and greater Vancouver is 2 million, there are going to be more amenities available to the residents there. Vancouver has the better geography and weather for sure but could be called no-fun city thanks to the stuffy attitude of the city council and the provincial government. Who knows, perhaps hosting the 2010 Olympics will change that. No, what makes TO insufferable is the navel-gazing arrogance displayed by its people, an example being our resident troll known as little guppy. They like to think that because they are Canada's largest city that they are the "New York City" of Canada. I've been to New York (and London and Paris). Trust me, TO is no New York (or London or Paris). Being that TO has stuck it more often than not to the rest of Canada, it's no surprise when we get a chance to stick back to them. Because of their centre of the universe attitude, they never understand we get fed up with the airwaves being TO-centric and accuse us of being "jealous of TO."