Shootouts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Shootouts

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Is it me or does it seem like our best players miss a lot on the shootouts??

Naslund, Danrik all suck, but I guess Mo does OK..

I think that AV should look more to the 3rd and 4th lines to see who shoots. Kesler, Bulis, Pyatt, heck even Linden if he is still skating like he is, whomever had a great game should be rewarded... these are the guys who should take shootouts. It's like goalies get briefed on the top guys of the opposition before the shootout begins and the second string players are the ones who score... I could be wrong as this is simply an observation from the last two shootouts and I did not check stats first to verify...

Discuss?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

I've noticed that lot of teams dont use their "superstars" in the shootouts because goaltenders seems to know their shooting tendancies/preferences. you see alot of 3rd and fourth line guys in the shootouts and the goalie really has no idea what hes gonna do. i do like the idea of whoever is having a good game should take a shot... mostly because confidence is a big part of how a player acts in the shootout
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I wonder how much attention is given to shootouts by the coaches. I believe they said on the radio that the Canucks have been in 9 shoot outs, that's almost 25% of the games. Like practising the P/P it's becoming an important part of the game, like it or not.

I never liked the original concept but you know thinking about it. Iwatched a whole game plus a full O/T period and what 7 shooters. Not bad value for the paying fan
cheers
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I wonder how much attention is given to shootouts by the coaches. I believe they said on the radio that the Canucks have been in 9 shoot outs, that's almost 25% of the games. Like practising the P/P it's becoming an important part of the game, like it or not.
Interesting points Fred .... and I think too the Nucks have only lost 1 or 2 ... so thats an additional 7 or so points in the standings ... becomes pretty important then doesn't it !!

Grizz
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

well when you look at the Panthers not winning a single overtime/shootout situation.... thats alot of points theyre missing out on. Imagine where the nucks would be in the standings if we havent been winning in the overtime and shootouts. As a fan, i have been finding OT much more easy to handle knowing that they have had alot of success this season with it. Although nothin is better than winning a game in regulation 8-)
BELIEVE.

Jonathan Toews
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I think last year if I remember quidly without checking the stats, we were quite weak when it came to OT wins and shoot out wins ... probably made the difference on us missing the playoffs last year ... hopefully this year it will work the other way for us ... some big big wins lately for us against conference/divisional rivals.

I agree with you too tuzzi ... I also feel more "comfortable" when the canucks are in OT than I have in the past. Still on the edge of my seat though !

Grizz
Hercules_Rockefeller
CC Rookie

Post by Hercules_Rockefeller »

tuzzi44 wrote:I've noticed that lot of teams dont use their "superstars" in the shootouts because goaltenders seems to know their shooting tendancies/preferences. you see alot of 3rd and fourth line guys in the shootouts and the goalie really has no idea what hes gonna do. i do like the idea of whoever is having a good game should take a shot... mostly because confidence is a big part of how a player acts in the shootout
I think there's a fair bit of truth to this. Most players only have a couple moves they're confident enough with to use in a shootout.

Off the top of my head the players that have scored for us in the last couple shootouts have been Morrison, Kesler (twice) and Green. Morrison and Kesler shot in both and used, basically the same moves: Kesler did that wicked backhand deke and Morrison went 5-hole.

Rotating players gets some fresh ideas happening and keeps the goalie guessing. A big reason we were so mediocre in shootouts last year was because we always went Naslund-Bertuzzi-Whoever, and were totally predictable.

I'm really enjoying watching the Canucks in these situations. Not only is it refreshing to see a Canuck team successful in clutch situations, it's a lot of fun to watch in a party/pub atmosphere!
Formerly Dangerous Dan.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Naslund has been pretty predictable in shootouts for the most part. i think the other reason hes been unsuccessful with them is because he goes in on the goaltender super slowly, giving the goaltender a much better chance at reading what hes going to do. I've also noticed that when he does deke, hes only moving his stick.... you've gotta get your whole body into it, you need to truly convince the goaltender your going to do somehting and then do somehting totally different. my example here is the little leg lift thing that alot of guys are doing. that to me really sells a wrist shot and then a quick deke at the end for the finish... so sweet 8-)

Using 4th line guys helped us a bit last season... remember how killer ruutu was in the shootout?? the fans didnt know he had it in him and im sure the goaltenders didnt either :lol:
BELIEVE.

Jonathan Toews
kingofrockstars
MVP
MVP

Post by kingofrockstars »

If it wasn't for the shootout we would never know how creative guys like Malik and Ruutu can be.

p.s. I agee, put Linden out there for the s.o.
The police never think it's as funny as you do
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Re: Shootouts

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Naslund, Danrik all suck....
Objection ! Nazzy's try wasn't so bad against Florida, he had the open net and just lifted the puck over the crossbar. :twisted:

But i'm wondering what the Sedin's did, these were really bad attempts.

Imo it doesn't really matter if the shooter is a superstar or not, it's only a mental thing, the ones with the strongest nerves wins. Arguably there's less pressure on those non stars...because nobody expect them to score.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

I DO remember a Sedin shootout goal. Last season I think, he skated in and just blew the puck past the goalie. Can't even remember who the goalie was............ :evil:
It was low glove side, a beauty. That move seems to have left him now..... :evil:
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Kesler did that wicked backhand deke and Morrison went 5-hole.
Kesler's lift the leg trick has worked twice ... didn't see Morrison's shot against Florida but from the play by play I heard it seemed he tried to go five hole again but missed.

I think rotating the 3 shooters is a great idea ... I am sure that teams now are starting to realize the importance of shootouts and are spending at least some time watching the tapes and analyzing the shooters.

True enough too each player probably only has two maybe three moves he is completely comfortable or confident with ... anything after that it becomes even more a battle of nerves.

Big points though for shootouts ... it can be the difference in making the playoffs or not. I just like the way our guys have been at times finishing it off in OT before it even gets to shootouts. Thats also very confident building ... come playoff time we may see dividends from that.

Grizz