is Ohlund the best Canucks D-man of all time?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

is Ohlund the best Canucks D-man of all time?

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Discuss.

He has always been a rock...made an impact right from the start, an eye injury really took a lot away from his offensive potential but he can still put up decent numbers and is on pace for a career year.

He is on the second yeaar of a 4 year contract, he may retire after it..who knows..he'd still be pretty young ( 34 I do believe but he is Swedish so he may want to go back home.)

Can you see him number 2 in the rafters after he is done?

Also what is with Number 2? It seems like just a defensemen number.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

I Beleieve the numbers were given to your position...like rugby.

#1 goalie
#2 D
# 3 D

etc.

Is Ohlund already 34? I think he's younger.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Honestly, I'd put him up there with Lidster and Reinhart. He's one of the best two-way defencemen out there.

Thing is, he's not where he used to be. Don't know if it's still the eye-injury or his knees, age or what but he doesn't seem like the bull he was four years ago. That said, I think he's become wiser.

Anybody else think Ohlund's been better since BXA and Mitchell have become the number 1 shut-down pairing and have eaten more minutes. Ohlund's always been a horse with the minutes, but I think too much was being asked of him at the beginning of the season. He's done better now that he's not being asked to shut the other team's stars down day-in and day-out.

The only thing I'd like to see him do more is join the rush like he used to. He has a heavy, accurate shot and he should use it more.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Without a doubt, one of the more underated dmen in the NHL. I'll never forget his bone-crushing hit on Tanguay. Messier swore he'd win a Norris one day...but that was before the eye-injury. I think he makes a superb pairing w/ Salo & would love to see him join the rush more & unleash that shot.

I'd say he's better than Lidster and since we only had Reinhart for 2 years he'd be above him as well. Reinhart was the better hockey player indeed, shame his injuries forced him out before he should have went. Jovanovski is up there too, but he was too much of a gambler & lost way too many bets. Lumme was too soft and not good enough offensively imo. Kevin McCarthy, Brown, Butcher, Bubla, Babych & Snepts deserve consideration but don't quite cut it. As far as I'm concerned, yes Ohlund is the best overall defenceman in Canucks history.
kingofrockstars
MVP
MVP

Post by kingofrockstars »

The best Canuck D. Yes

Having his number retired. If he signs here again and finishes his career here, maybe. He would be in consideration for the C if Naslund left. If the Canucks win a cup with him on the team then yes. Mind you the entire team would have their numbers lifted.
The police never think it's as funny as you do
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

He's been the 'guy' for our D for too many years now not to be considered the best. While Jovo took the spotlight (and did nothing in my opinion) Ohlund was there to carry the slack.
Without the eye injury - who knows....
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Dave Babych
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

ha.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Kevin McCarthy, Brown, Butcher, Bubla, Babych & Snepts deserve consideration but don't quite cut it. As far as I'm concerned, yes Ohlund is the best overall defenceman in Canucks history.
Dennis Kearns probably should also be added to your list .. he had some decent years in the mid 70's. Certainly Ohlund should be up there as one of the Canucks best ... a ring on his finger would solidify it !!

Grizz
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I'm not old enough to comment on guys like Kearns, Butcher, or Bubla, but I think Ohlund can be grouped in the top 30 defensemen in the league easily.

Guys who make highlight reel plays like Jovanovski are overrated. I think another player very similar to Ohlund is Chris Phillips, who is rock solid on defense night in and night out, although Ohlund does have more offensive upside.

If Ohlund retires a Vancouver Canuck his number will be retired - drafted and developed by the Canucks. How often does that happen?
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

As my name implies, I was obviously a huge Jyrki Lumme fan (and feel that both his defensive and offensive sides were underrated and his flaws greatly exaggerated), but I wouldn't argue with anyone calling Öhlund the best Canuck D-man of all time. It's obviously not a veritable who's-who of Hall of Fame defenseman, but it's still a pretty lofty title.