Canucks claim Jeff Cowan off waivers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Canucks claim Jeff Cowan off waivers

Post by Linden Is God »

As per TSN.ca

I'll give the Pat Burns opinion about Cowan. I wouldn't know the guy if I ran him over with my truck. Can anyone give any insight on him?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Meh...Cowan is nothing but depth. He's got decent size and can drop the gloves when needed. He's not going to chip in much offence. I can't see much of a point to this move. When Rypien is healthy I'd much prefer what he brings to the table.
R.I.P. Luc.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Well, that's it. Naslund's replacement has officially arrived. ;)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Stats:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... d=00019376

Fights this year:
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/115 ... rd/reg2007

He does have 40 goals, so he may be able to get a few bounced in off him.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
capt canuck
AHL Prospect

Post by capt canuck »

well to me this really doesn't make much sense. they should be talking to other teams like phoenix who would be glad to trade a guy like nagy.he can score just needs a change.it would better address the teams needs than this move does.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

It's too bad Afanasenkov didn't get past Philly on the waiver wire. If Nonis picked up Cowan, I'm sure he would have grabbed Afanasenkov instead if he could have. He's that right handed shot the Canucks could have used.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
capt canuck
AHL Prospect

Post by capt canuck »

the canucks already have a bunch of younger better cowans.a younger player with some kind of up side still would have made more sense.unless he feels the team needs some veteran leadership but i really don't think that has been a problem this year.there have been maybe 2-3 games this year where they were totally outplayed and they have always come back with good efforts .the real problem is goals. not to mention this has to be the most unluckiest team i've ever seen.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

This guy is a legit heavyweight. The Canucks have needed one for a few years now. Rick Ryipen is nothing more than a good light wieght he ain't gonna scare or stop no body. This guy might atleasdt put the fear of God into someone. A good pickup in my opinion and about time3.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I don't get this move one bit, unless its the precursor to something bigger (Eg. Cooke being traded) Why do we need yet another 4th line winger with size and just about nothing else? I geuss they don't want Bieksa dropping the gloves any more. I don't understand Nonis' reasoning behind claiming him. He's slow, not very smart offensively, and doesn't seem suited for the new NHL. Plus a terrible LA team gave up on him. Nonis better know what he is doing with this one, because right now it looks like a total waste of cap space.
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Post by Canuck2 »

ververgaert wrote:This guy is a legit heavyweight. The Canucks have needed one for a few years now. Rick Ryipen is nothing more than a good light wieght he ain't gonna scare or stop no body. This guy might atleasdt put the fear of God into someone. A good pickup in my opinion and about time3.
You are joking...right?!?
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

I think the move is for basically adding sandpaper, depth on the 4th line, and competition for guys like Chuionard to step up.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I don't mind the move, it's not huge but Rypien is a good fighter but is small, Bieksa has become too valuable to "send a message" out there, Kesler also shouldn't be used in that role, Cooke hits but doesn't fight. We have other needs that are more important, but I don't understand why that means we're not allowed to make other improvements (like a guy that can and will fight without risking much) when the opportunity presents itself.
Mark
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

It's definitely a move so that we have a legit fighter in our lineup. Looking up and down our lineup everyone on the third and fourth line scraps, but none of them in the same class as Cowan.
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

Cornuck wrote: Fights this year:
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/115 ... rd/reg2007

He does have 40 goals, so he may be able to get a few bounced in off him.
not a very convincing win/loss ratio looking back over the last few years.
looks like we have our new Darren Langon.
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

MarkMM wrote:Ibut Rypien is a good fighter but is small, Bieksa has become too valuable to "send a message" out there,
I like Rick Rypien's fire but quite frankly, if he doesn't use his head, his time in the NHL will be short. The guy gets injured all the time because he can't control himself and ends up getting injured faster than he should. He's impressed Vigneault with his willingness to fight and throw himself around, but if he spends most of his time on crutches or bandaged, guys like Cowan will take away his job.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040