Here's a thought for you guys

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

Sure there are lots of potential trades out there we could and should do to improve but I think this one could be a good one. You can trade Sabourin and a 2nd rounder for Boucher and a 4th probably, something like that (not sure if Sabourin would then again have to clear waivers being sent down? Probably come to think of it. Basically you could get him for a 3rd or 4th pick I'm thinking.

The second game against Calgary to me was pure fatigue for Luongo. He played the night before in another city and he was just tired. We won luckily but 3 of his 5 goals he let in that night were pretty garbage. You can't blame him but he's on pace to play what? 75 or 76 games this season? Even for a workhorse like him that's just to much.

I don't think Sabourin has been unlucky he just doesn't have the talent and confidence to win in the NHL. He's not awful but having Boucher there would give us a decent chance to win on the nights he was in and we could rest Luongo down the stretch. We'll all be sad if we sneak in teh playoffs and our best player on the ice is too fatigued to take us deep.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Icebreaka wrote: We'll all be sad if we sneak in teh playoffs and our best player on the ice is too fatigued to take us deep.
Which is why I suggest getting a better goalie to give Luongo some breaks. Many of you would suggest - 'just play Sabourin more'. We haven't won any games with Sabourin in net. If the Canucks do stick with Sabourin I think two things should happen:

1. He needs to go down to Manitoba for a 2-week conditioning assignment and play a lot of games to stay sharp.
2. Play in goal for the next Canuck game that is more of a 'gimme'. Gimme - ie. not playing a hot team, but a team that has been struggling. Just helping him win to get his confidence up would be a positive.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Meerschaum wrote:As the 'Nucks are in rebuilding mode, I wouldn't be trading picks for anybody these days. The debacle of last season's deadline deals still stings.
They do. The Canucks need to focus on drafting quality cheap young talent. It's a big part of the solution teams have in dealing with the cap.

The Canucks gave up too many draft picks for players who aren't here (Carney, Weinrich, Noronen, Brown) and they gave them up in desperation because Dave Nonis didn't make earlier deals and then had to deal from a state of panic at the deadline. I doubt he will do it again, but yeesh, you think the Canucks could have drafted an Edler/Hansen/Rahimi with all the second and third rounders they gave up to get guys who no longer play for Vancouver.

dp

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

OK so we need to suck for 5 years to build up our talent through the draft. ........or we need to be like Buffalo /Anhiem & draft well. & really trade well ...hahahaha...ok we need to draft well....& need to pick up the right player at the right time....you have to be kidding me,,....have you seen the people that run your team????? if you think the NHL has any type of long term plan to reward teams ......again ...hahahaha....have you seen the people that want to buy the PENS.....what a gong show...Lemieux is feeeling the Gretz effect that when you deal with the retards that run the NHL.....I love the NHL but.......
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Soapy wrote:OK so we need to suck for 5 years to build up our talent through the draft. ........or we need to be like Buffalo /Anhiem & draft well. & really trade well ...hahahaha...ok we need to draft well....& need to pick up the right player at the right time....you have to be kidding me,,....have you seen the people that run your team?????
We don't need to suck for 5 years. We just have to trade well (ie. deal Salo for good young players and then try to re-sign him in the off-season) and draft well (it's been better the past few seasons - no Libor Polaseks), not give up draft picks and the Canucks will be fine. Look at San Jose, Buffalo and Anaheim. All of those team were awful 3 season ago and now they are all good. They all drafted well (an no, Brian Burke did not draft well - it was Bryan Murray in Anaheim for the record), made some smart trades and they are all contenders.

dp

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Getting back to the backup situation, we are SO close to the cap that any increase to our #2 goalie salary is probably wasted money. The Canucks will miss the playoffs without Luongo. If he's hurt, we're done, end of story. The same goes for Calgary (McLennan), and Edmonton (Markannen). Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of being Anaheim, Buffalo or even Minnesota. That's the way the cookie crumbles...yes, it would be nice to have a better back up, but I would much rather add some more scoring or toughness to our line up, than add another guy that will play 5 games and probably isn't a major upgrade to Sabourin...so if we can snag Boucher and his 450K why not, but paying more isn't really an option, IMHO.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

DavidPratt_ wrote:
Soapy wrote: Look at San Jose, Buffalo and Anaheim. All of those team were awful 3 season ago and now they are all good. They all drafted well (an no, Brian Burke did not draft well - it was Bryan Murray in Anaheim for the record), made some smart trades and they are all contenders.
dp
Buffalo.....missed the playoffs 3 yeas in a row..before that they lost in the 1st round then the second round..
Anaheim...12 years in the league....8 times missed the playoffs...one year they went to the finals...the next year they missed the playoffs....
San Jose has always under achieved...with or without Joe Thornton..forever 1st round knockouts....
You make it sound like these teams had a plan before & after the lockout!! No one could build a team because no one knew what the fall out was going to be....Carolina won the freakin CUP last year!? Buffalo could have won it!!
Back to the thread again...the last thing the Canucks need to worry about is the back up....remember Captain Kirks back ups? Richard Brodeur? no need to remember them
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Getting back to the backup situation, we are SO close to the cap that any increase to our #2 goalie salary is probably wasted money.
Not necessarily. Say hypothetically, Nonis acquires Boucher. Boucher makes the league minimum, as does Sabourin. Sabs gets put on waivers or sent down and then his salary would be replaced by Boucher.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

well were certainly not the only team praying the #1 guy doesnt go down because theres no one to take over... maybe teams are in that boat.

perhaps theres a new formula being captivated in the NHL.... throw your money into your #1 goalie and hope your goaltending prospects can come up in a few years to help out.
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Victoriafan
CC Rookie

Post by Victoriafan »

2. Play in goal for the next Canuck game that is more of a 'gimme'. Gimme - ie. not playing a hot team, but a team that has been struggling. Just helping him win to get his confidence up would be a positive.
I was wondering about this earlier when I was looking at the schedule. Do we start Sabourin against Florida because they suck to give him a fighting chance to win a game, or do we give Luongo a shot at his old team? Which is more important? I say start Sabourin.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

hmmmm i would just about say start Luongo because then theres 3 days before the next game on thursday giving him some time to rest.... BUT considering Florida is one of the worst teams in the league at the moment perhaps giving that game to Sabourin isnt a bad idea.... but what happens if he loses that game, is the guy hopeless?? :)

Also we've got that eastern road trip comming up, with back to back games with Ottawa and Buffalo.... how do we play the goaltenders there??
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Yeah the Eastern trip worries me. Luongo should start against all the 4 teams, but seeing as there's some close games within proximity.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: