Would you trade Salo?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Would you trade Salo?

Only if the Canucks are out of playoff contention
7
32%
Never. Hold on to him then try to sign him
8
36%
Trade him at or before the deadline
7
32%
 
Total votes: 22

Hercules_Rockefeller
CC Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:30 am

Post by Hercules_Rockefeller » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:01 pm

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Yes, Nonis gave a 2nd rounder for Carney, but most would agree he paid too much. Now that it's become apparant draft picks are more valuable than before the lockout, I'm not so sure anyone would "undoubtedly" give more..
If you think back to deadline day, you'll recall that getting Carney for a second rounder and Skinner was a GOOD deal, and were speculating that we only got him for that because Burke was on the other side of the deal. Remember some of the other d-men that were moved that day? Brendan Witt for a first and Chris Beech. Denis Guathier for TWO second rounders. Deals like this happen year after year. The salary cap isn't going to stop GMs and their fans from the delusion that they have a legit shot at the cup.

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Now, if he's so valuable that a team would give us a 1st rounder, why would you trade such value? Maybe he would stay in Vancouver for 5 yrs and 10 million. Maybe he would want 15 million.. I don't know what his agent and Nonis are talking about, so I'm not going to waste my time speculating about it as there are so many variables that we do not know.
This concept of players being willing to sign for below market value is a pure daydream. I won't forget Jovo and Carter, who talked nonstop about how they loved Vancouver, but had no qualms with moving to poor teams just for the paycheck. Maybe some players are willing to sign for cheap, but I'll believe it when they sign their name to a contract that;s less than what another team has on the table.

Secondly, I don't think Salo is worth signing to a fat contract long term. Say what you will, he's made of glass. We're not even at the 40 game mark and he's already been injured twice. Did you see the play that caused his latest injury? It was a routine play along the boards. Not only is he not tough enough, he's incapable of playing the minutes required of a top-two d-man.
Larry Goodenough wrote:
Proposing trades without knowing if another team would accept is just a waste of time on this forum. Proposing just trading a guy without offering up what you would expect in return is even a bigger waste of time. That's was my point.
And yet, here you are.
Formerly Dangerous Dan.

Kowch
CC Veteran
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:11 am

Post by Kowch » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:22 pm

If the right deal came along? Yes.

(The right deal meaning something that will improve our club now and in the long run).

If there's no right deal? No.

And for the record, if Nonis can get him resigned for next year, I'd love that. If not, might as well try and get something for him.

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3369
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Post by Madcombinepilot » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:15 am

Keep in mind that at thetrade deadline last year, there were a LOT of teams looking for defencemen, because there was a lot of injured defencemen out there. Almost every team overpaid for a D last year at the deadline. There are no guarantees that that will be thecase this year, so I would not be expecting a 1st round draft pick for Salo.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Post by Larry Goodenough » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:15 am

Hercules_Rockefeller wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:
Yes, Nonis gave a 2nd rounder for Carney, but most would agree he paid too much. Now that it's become apparant draft picks are more valuable than before the lockout, I'm not so sure anyone would "undoubtedly" give more..
If you think back to deadline day, you'll recall that getting Carney for a second rounder and Skinner was a GOOD deal, and were speculating that we only got him for that because Burke was on the other side of the deal. Remember some of the other d-men that were moved that day? Brendan Witt for a first and Chris Beech. Denis Guathier for TWO second rounders. Deals like this happen year after year. The salary cap isn't going to stop GMs and their fans from the delusion that they have a legit shot at the cup.

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Now, if he's so valuable that a team would give us a 1st rounder, why would you trade such value? Maybe he would stay in Vancouver for 5 yrs and 10 million. Maybe he would want 15 million.. I don't know what his agent and Nonis are talking about, so I'm not going to waste my time speculating about it as there are so many variables that we do not know.
This concept of players being willing to sign for below market value is a pure daydream. I won't forget Jovo and Carter, who talked nonstop about how they loved Vancouver, but had no qualms with moving to poor teams just for the paycheck. Maybe some players are willing to sign for cheap, but I'll believe it when they sign their name to a contract that;s less than what another team has on the table.

Secondly, I don't think Salo is worth signing to a fat contract long term. Say what you will, he's made of glass. We're not even at the 40 game mark and he's already been injured twice. Did you see the play that caused his latest injury? It was a routine play along the boards. Not only is he not tough enough, he's incapable of playing the minutes required of a top-two d-man.
Larry Goodenough wrote:
Proposing trades without knowing if another team would accept is just a waste of time on this forum. Proposing just trading a guy without offering up what you would expect in return is even a bigger waste of time. That's was my point.
And yet, here you are.
1. Perhaps Carney for a 2nd was thought to be "good" at the time, as you say. Who cares, it's now seen as a bust. That was the first year of the new system and teams were still learning the ropes. GMs are now learning how the new cap system works and this Carney trade has demonstrated that draft picks are more important and should be treated as such. The salary cap won't stop delusion, but it will stop lots of deals.

2. Who said the numbers I threw out there are inflated or deflated? Who said the number was a home team discount? No one will know until the off season. I was simply stating trading a guy would depend on how contact negotiations are going as the trade deadline approaches. Also, do not forget last year, many teams were well under the cap and had lots of money to bring guys on at the deadline and sign them in the off season. This year, only 5 teams have over 4 million in cap space left, everyone else has little room to move. This will probably result in less money being available for all players this summer. Less money means market values will be forced downward as fewer teams can bid.

3. And yet here I am? I did not start this obscure poll with many complex answers depending on a number of variables.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:10 pm

Come the trade deadline, most of Salo's salary would have been spent by us. Hopefully we can work something out. He shouldn't get a penny over 3, in my opninion. He's proven that he has trouble playing a full season, which we NEED out of guys who make any more. His cannon is nice, but he's not worth Ohlund or Mitchell money.

User avatar
Soapy
MVP
MVP
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Post by Soapy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:35 pm

We should get a ransom for him. As much as I like Salo & his shot, we have young guys coming up that are cap friendly. He will be a great addition to a team that wants to make a run at the cup. Carolina, NYI or Washington would be my first guesses as a destination.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

theinsainianone
AHL Prospect
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:59 pm

Post by theinsainianone » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:19 pm

too bad he us injury proned. he is a great player and could really helpthe canucks especiall y on the powerplay and penalty kill
"...number 16...KEVIN LINDEN!!"

supercanuck
CC Veteran
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:21 pm

Post by supercanuck » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:33 pm

Soapy wrote:We should get a ransom for him. As much as I like Salo & his shot, we have young guys coming up that are cap friendly. He will be a great addition to a team that wants to make a run at the cup. Carolina, NYI or Washington would be my first guesses as a destination.
I think the Nucks can get a bit for him too. In the West I can see at least two Stanely Cup contenders that can use an experienced, good #2-3 defenseman in San Jose and Nashville who have rather young dmen. And any team, I believe, can use a Salo for the playoff run. Who knows, even a team like Anaheim can get him to keep him away from San Jose and have a top 4 of Pronger, Niedemayer, Salo, Beauchimain (not likely but you never know). They can always sign him back at the end of the season anyways if they really want him and he really likes the city.

User avatar
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: Yaletown
Contact:

Post by DavidPratt_ » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:49 am

Soapy wrote:We should get a ransom for him. As much as I like Salo & his shot, we have young guys coming up that are cap friendly. He will be a great addition to a team that wants to make a run at the cup. Carolina, NYI or Washington would be my first guesses as a destination.
I don't know if Vancouver could afford him next season and he's injury prone. I do like Salo though. He has been a great Canuck, but if it was me....

1. Wait until the deadline - Salo's value will never be higher.
2. Deal Salo to a team that is willilng to give up a few solid YOUNG players (already in the NHL). One of the players has to be a defenseman.
3.In the off-season, sign a free-agent defenseman to fill any gaps.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040

User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Post by levelheaded » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:54 am

DavidPratt_ wrote:
Soapy wrote:We should get a ransom for him. As much as I like Salo & his shot, we have young guys coming up that are cap friendly. He will be a great addition to a team that wants to make a run at the cup. Carolina, NYI or Washington would be my first guesses as a destination.
I don't know if Vancouver could afford him next season and he's injury prone. I do like Salo though. He has been a great Canuck, but if it was me....

1. Wait until the deadline - Salo's value will never be higher.
2. Deal Salo to a team that is willilng to give up a few solid YOUNG players (already in the NHL). One of the players has to be a defenseman.
3.In the off-season, sign a free-agent defenseman to fill any gaps.

dp
Although that is the logical thing, I doubt it will happen. Salo has turned into a fan favourite in the last couple of years, and has proved invaluable at times. Despite his injury problems he is a terrific player. I get the feeling that we'll sign Salo to a 3-year $3.5 mill per contract like Mitchell and Ohlund because that is likely close to his market value. Canucks fans really overvalue him IMO.

User avatar
Soapy
MVP
MVP
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Post by Soapy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:42 am

The value of Salo at the trading deadline will be unreal...if we are out of the race...Salo on the point with Buffalo or Carolina....he may be the axis between the cup or not......
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

User avatar
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: Yaletown
Contact:

Post by DavidPratt_ » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:06 am

Soapy wrote:The value of Salo at the trading deadline will be unreal...if we are out of the race...Salo on the point with Buffalo or Carolina....he may be the axis between the cup or not......
Even if the Canucks were going to make the playoffs, I hate saying this but I would trade Salo at the deadline to a team loaded with depth who felt Salo would be the difference between a Stanley Cup or not. Here's why:

1. The Canucks lack quality young players, particularly at forward
2. Salo's inflated salary would prevent them from signing other players next year.
3. The Canucks could STILL sign Salo in the off-season anyways (Doug Weight did the same thing when he was traded from St.Louis to Carolina)
4. The Canucks have a very good defenseman who is growing in leaps and bounds on the farm. HIs name is Alex Edler. Have a read from the Winnipeg Free Press:

http://www.moosehockey.com/news/06-07/20061221b.php

5. After giving up draft picks at the trade deadline, the Canucks have to improve their depth quickly. Trading Salo to a team deep with prospects (Buffalo is a great example) would make sense.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040

MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:28 pm
Location: Delta, BC

Post by MarkMM » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:00 pm

DavidPratt_ wrote:
Soapy wrote:The value of Salo at the trading deadline will be unreal...if we are out of the race...Salo on the point with Buffalo or Carolina....he may be the axis between the cup or not......
Even if the Canucks were going to make the playoffs, I hate saying this but I would trade Salo at the deadline to a team loaded with depth who felt Salo would be the difference between a Stanley Cup or not. Here's why:

1. The Canucks lack quality young players, particularly at forward
2. Salo's inflated salary would prevent them from signing other players next year.
3. The Canucks could STILL sign Salo in the off-season anyways (Doug Weight did the same thing when he was traded from St.Louis to Carolina)
4. The Canucks have a very good defenseman who is growing in leaps and bounds on the farm. HIs name is Alex Edler. Have a read from the Winnipeg Free Press:

http://www.moosehockey.com/news/06-07/20061221b.php

5. After giving up draft picks at the trade deadline, the Canucks have to improve their depth quickly. Trading Salo to a team deep with prospects (Buffalo is a great example) would make sense.

dp
If the players that we got back could make an immediate contribution as well as be a part of the future, then it's an easier sell. As long as it's not a purely rebuilding move but could be sold as re-balancing the team for a playoff run, it might be the best bet, we could make a solid run this season, either re-sign Salo or get another UFA in the off-season AND have the young studs. With Edler, Koltsov and Bourdon in the pipeline, Rahimi not far behind them, losing Salo won't be the end of the world, we just have to make sure we don't expose ourselves in the playoffs if we are indeed in the running.
Mark

User avatar
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Post by Meerschaum » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:01 pm

Much as I respect his shot, I'd trade him at the deadline.

It's time to restock the cupboard.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.

User avatar
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: Yaletown
Contact:

Post by DavidPratt_ » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:16 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:Keep in mind that at thetrade deadline last year, there were a LOT of teams looking for defencemen, because there was a lot of injured defencemen out there. Almost every team overpaid for a D last year at the deadline. There are no guarantees that that will be thecase this year, so I would not be expecting a 1st round draft pick for Salo.
I don't know if I'd want a first-rounder. Preferably players who were drafted, relatively young with decent potential, who are playing in the NHL but are considered a 'commodity' by their GM because their GM thinks they have a shot at the Stanley Cup.

In most cases, it doesn't work. But hey, it worked for Carolina when they picked up Weight at the deadline.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040

Post Reply