Questionable Call-ups...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Questionable Call-ups...

Post by ClamRussel »

The call-ups we've done this year have really got my head shaking. Rypien yes that makes sense, especially considering he made the team out of camp but was hurt.....

BUT

Schultz?

Bouck?

...even Goren?

Meanwhile, Brad Moran leads the team in points.....Jason Jaffray leads the team in goals and to a lesser extent Brandon Reid, who after a very slow start & a concussion has come close to a point a game pace in his past 15 games or so. The buzzsaw Reid was challenged by Arniel to play a larger role & he appears to have responded....but the ones that seriously have me perplexed are Moran & Jaffray who have both been exceptional & the top Moose players all year long. I know stats don't tell the whole story but check this out:

Brad Moran_____C 26gp__11-21-32__22pim
Jason Jaffray___LW 32gp__18-14-32__42pim

Is there something I don't know? ...I'm fairly certain both are Canucks property...would Moran have to clear waivers or something? I'd much MUCH rather see both of them up here playing than Bouck & Santala...& even Chouinard for that matter. I have no idea how Schultz got called up so soon after his camp & lacklustre performance so far in the Peg. Even Goren hasn't been the player he was the past couple of years.

I mean we are seriously hurting in the offensive department this year (last 3 or 4 games aside)....and here we've got a guy who seems to be setting up goals by the bushel and scoring a few....and a winger who seems to have grit & is really filling the net.

Puzzled Clam
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Totally agree with you, Clam. I posted some similar thoughts earlier, seems one would want to call up players that have potential to score as its not like they would have less output than we already have on the fourth line (and possibly even the third). But who knows maybe Moran is out of favour with AV. I am pretty sure that Jaffrey isn't signed by the Canucks - but they should definitely make it a priority. And not only would this give up the oppotunity to get a little more goal scoring from the lower lines it would give time to the young guys to develop. Finally, being in the "rebuilding" stage it would seem the way to go - youth over rentals.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Jaffery isn't signed at the NHL level. He is Moose property.

I think Shultz got the call due to last season and his pre preseason hype and Bouck because he adds a bit of grit. But when the next injury hits I would love to see if Reid can get one more crack at being an NHLer.
R.I.P. Luc.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

OMG i need to pay more attention to our farm team because i had no idea this was going on! why the hell arent the best from the moose roster being called up? all this time we've been strugglingt to score goals and the moose leading goal scorer is called up??

p.s~ as soon as im dumb writing this, im going to http://www.moosehockey.com/ to do some research. 8-)
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Thats just what I suspected....its INSANE that Jaffray isn't signed to the Canucks. Nonis should get on that asap....I believe it was Manitoba who first signed Rypien and Burrows & not the Canucks....in fact Burrows had to begin on the Inferno before he made the jump to the Moose......and then the Canucks signed them both. I hope Nonis gets on that because Jaffray deserves a shot....or some other team will claim him.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

ClamRussel wrote:Thats just what I suspected....its INSANE that Jaffray isn't signed to the Canucks. Nonis should get on that asap....I believe it was Manitoba who first signed Rypien and Burrows & not the Canucks....in fact Burrows had to begin on the Inferno before he made the jump to the Moose......and then the Canucks signed them both. I hope Nonis gets on that because Jaffray deserves a shot....or some other team will claim him.
Jaffray could have been signed by any NHL team yesterday, yet all passed. It's not "insane" he's not signed. Eric Westrum was second in AHL scoring last year. Where is he this year? AHL stats are often misleading.

And Rypien and Burrows were signed as free agents by Vancouver and assigned to Manitoba. You can give the team's scouts credit for finding these undrafted guys. Burrows began in the ECHL as he was not drafted and was assigned to Manitoba during the lockout year after Vancouver offered him a contract.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'm not sure Moran ( local Vancouver kid) has been signed either, but both are considered long time AHL players who have all tried the NHl in the past. I think the Canucks are more interested in trying to give the players with a future an opportunity
cheers
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

Moran is signed so he could be brought up any time. There is something nice about a local guy on the team. As far as getting a shot at the NHL level he played I think just a few games for Columbus and has an NHL goal.

Joffrey though should be signed I think. He's never been given a shot at the NHL level and has just worked his way up.

They aren't old men at all either being in their mid 20s.

I'm guessing there is some thoughts though that they don't really have NHL game or they would have shown it by now
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Professional AHL's, I know Moran lacks any speed, not sure about Joffrey
cheers
Hercules_Rockefeller
CC Rookie

Post by Hercules_Rockefeller »

I'm kind of ambivalent about who gets called up because none of these Moose players have been insturmental in a Canucks win. Probably the best Moose players this year have been Green and Edler, and the main reason they've been praised is because they rarely screw up! None of them have provided any offense and Edler has been the lone player to show any hope for the future.
Formerly Dangerous Dan.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

There's no point in calling up guys who are scoring for the Moose because they're not going to be scoring here when playing on the 3rd and 4th lines. It's better to leave them down and let them keep honing their craft because they're going to need an adjustment period before they're actually useful.

Otherwise, you just have guys who could be getting the ice time and scoring for the Moose sitting on the bench getting 8 > minutes of ice time for the Canucks.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Kowch wrote:There's no point in calling up guys who are scoring for the Moose because they're not going to be scoring here when playing on the 3rd and 4th lines. It's better to leave them down and let them keep honing their craft because they're going to need an adjustment period before they're actually useful.

Otherwise, you just have guys who could be getting the ice time and scoring for the Moose sitting on the bench getting 8 > minutes of ice time for the Canucks.
There's a very good point in calling them up unless the Canucks wish to be a one line team. What have we heard all year...how will this team score, where will the goals come from .....there's no contribution coming form the bottom 3 lines etc.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

ClamRussel wrote:
Kowch wrote:There's no point in calling up guys who are scoring for the Moose because they're not going to be scoring here when playing on the 3rd and 4th lines. It's better to leave them down and let them keep honing their craft because they're going to need an adjustment period before they're actually useful.

There's a very good point in calling them up unless the Canucks wish to be a one line team. What have we heard all year...how will this team score, where will the goals come from .....there's no contribution coming form the bottom 3 lines etc.
Just because they can score in the minors doesn't mean it's going to give them NHL success.

But fine.. call them up to sit on the bench.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Larry Goodenough wrote:And Rypien and Burrows were signed as free agents by Vancouver and assigned to Manitoba. You can give the team's scouts credit for finding these undrafted guys. Burrows began in the ECHL as he was not drafted and was assigned to Manitoba during the lockout year after Vancouver offered him a contract.
You might be right on Burrows, I know he was offered a try-out contract w/ the Canucks but I thought his first contract was with Manitoba and not the Canucks...but I'm not totally sure. If he was indeed signed by the Canucks during the lockout year then I'm correct because he was in the Moose/Inferno system the year before the lockout. In fact I was personally at his very impressive prospect camp in '03. I'm 99% positive Rypien was NOT signed by the
Canucks initially but instead was signed by the GM of the Moose for the playoff run...it was just after his final year of jr had ended. It was after that run that the Canucks decided to sign him as well. He was a diamond in the rough that our farm team's managment discovered. Our scouts don't deserve any credit for Rypien imo.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Kowch wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:

Just because they can score in the minors doesn't mean it's going to give them NHL success.

But fine.. call them up to sit on the bench.
There's only one to find out isn't there? If they score in the minors it doesn't mean they won't score in the NHL either. Jaffray has been a bit of a late bloomer and I like his fiestieness. Not sure what kind of a skater he is. Do you prefer we call up guys who can't even score in the minors? We've already got players here like Bouck and we all know what Goren brings to the table...very little. I'd just like to see players who produce well in the system get a chance.