Good Luongo Theory

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Good Luongo Theory

Post by Icebreaka »

I heard a caller last night talk about his theory of why Luongo has had some bad games this year and I think there was a lot of merit to it.

Basically it was that Luongo knows all the East Coast players very well, their shooting styles, their moves, etc. So in all the games this season against the East teams he's been solid. He isn't used to seeing a lot of the West Coast shooters and I'm sure reading a scouting report on guys is no replacement from taking shots from them. For that reason he is starting to come on now that he's had a good look at a lot of players. Calgary would be a good example of a team that he needed to learn to elevate his game and become dominant like last night.

Long story short is that he should continue to get better with time which is great news for all of us. (Well maybe not me, the guy in my pool with him is winning and Luongo is a big part of that)
unikron
AHL Prospect

Post by unikron »

I've been having the same thought. I thought he looked great early against the Canes (I chalk the comeback up to poor team play not him).
"I, know I could make it right, if I could just swallow my pride".
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I think this is true to a point. On the first shot, where he has a good idea who the shooter is, there is no doubt that he would have his little book of hints telling hime where/how they like to shoot. Last night, there was a lot of scramlbes, and he made a ton of amazing saves after the first one, where he probably would not have much time to digest exactly who was shooting on him. All I know is that he's getting better, and it's a joy to watch.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

this would fit with Luongo's own comments after the CGY game, saying that he played Iginla much more agressively. After the first game against CGY, when Iginla scored the goal on the rush that Luongo seemed to wait to long for, it was cool to see the difference. For this reason (and only this reason) maybe 8 divisional games per team can be a good thing... shortens the learning curve.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

For this reason (and only this reason) maybe 8 divisional games per team can be a good thing... shortens the learning curve
Good comment ...

I also agree that there has to be some merrit in Luongo's comments ... he looked really solid last nite.

I think we have to look at the whole team too ... different coach, different systems, lots of new faces because of injuries and off season changes ... put that all together and yeah there will be some struggles and off nites.

But ... looking at last nites game and actually the last couple of games, I think things are starting to gel more and the guys are getting some chemistry together. Will we ever score like the Pens and Crosby/Malkin ... no but our defence is much better and defence wins championships ... I am not saying we are even close to that but certainly things have looked alot more solid the last few games.

Shots on goal last nite btw in the third period 16-6 for Vancouver ... not bad for team hard of scoring and protecting a lead !!!

Grizz
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

I think that is a very good theory! comming to the western conference he has had to adjust to all new shooters and styles.... and what stevethiessen
brought up with iginla kinda somewhat proves that hes learning player tendancies. and lets just hope that as we keep playing the divisional games that he really starts to figure everyone out. just imagine how much better we would be in the standing if we had played more eastern teams.
and its also true that there were alot of new additions to the team, and getting a team to "click" takes more than talented players. i think the increase in scoring production isnt a fluke... thats the team comming together and getting comfortable.
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews