Would you trade the Sedins' AND Luongo if you're REBUILDING?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:You know James I have to agree with you on something. Naslund is the greatest Canuck of all time. He's much better than MESSier.
and Linden...much better then Linden could ever hope to be.

Naslund.
Bure ( but only cause of his falling out with the club....damn ownership for running him away.)

The rest don't matter.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Nobody will argue Nazz has more skill than Linden. In terms of heart and leadership, Linden all the way, however both are miles ahead of the Mark "Bet you can't eat just one" MESSier.

You know, I'm surprized I haven't seen him in any Rogaine adds! The shine off that bad boy could provide California with all the Solar power it needs. Maybe he's the key to the new green policy! I say we capture him, strap him to a pole that follows the sun, force feed him Lays to sustain him, and direct the blinding light towards solar panels. Kyoto my ass, we've got the MESS!
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckknowitall1944 »

Yet another person calling jamesfuckssam or whatever his name is a retard,that will bring the count up to about 23 times.
canucks_fan2
AHL Prospect

Post by canucks_fan2 »

thats cuz he is he has no idea what hes talkin about yeah lets trade the whole team for some 1st round picks and lose all that we have left sounds just perfect
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Naslund has done more for this team then Linden ever did......Naslund is the greatest Canuck of all time.

Linden is overrated in this town so much it isn't even funny.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

is that the only thing you have to say???... "bla bla bla naslund is the greatest canuck of all time bla bla bla fuck linden bla bla bla"
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

What more do you want me to say on the subject?

Is that all you have to say? Blah blah blah Messier sucks Blah Blah I support Luongo blindly?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

To drag this thread from the grips of a troll back onto Farhans subject.....

while an intriguing idea to sell all the stars to reload the Farm system, I have to disagree on the simple premise that (with a few notable exceptions) we are fans of the team. We pay money to see certain players wearing a Canucks Jersey.

Who wants to go see a team that treats its players with no respect (trading Louongo after a verbal no-trade clause classifies as 'no respect') and also after spending so much time develpoing the twins, why sell them now? People come to see the Vancouver Canucks. They are a team that consists of players that we know and have been here a long time, or will be here a long time. To simply sells players like what you are suggesting would been seen by many as a simple cash grab by the new owners, as well as would make it hard to sign players for long term contracts in the future, with the player agents knowing that nothing is permanent, the price could go up. Also, there is a certain ammount of trust (in a wierd kinda way) between ownership and fans. Selling Fan favorites would be a breech of that trust and (imo) could cause a loss of ticket and merchandise revenue. Teams that flop players around in what could be construed as a grab for cash by ownership quickly lose fan support. In a crazy fan atmosphere like vancouver, where the fickle winds of media fate often define how the team is run, that would be playing with the preverbial popular opinion fire. If that went down the wrong way, owners would lose millions......

So, from a fans point of view, I guess I am saying that I pay money to see Louongo, the twins, Naslund, Ohlund and Linden.

From the owners point of view, I would recognize that trading a major portion of them could be seen the wrong way, and if the media decided to roast me for it, It would cost me in the long run.

And before someone jumps all over me, I am not saying that those players are untouchable, just that you have ot be carefull when you trade a bunch of marquis players all at the same time. It can come back to haunt you.

Also, THIS year is the rebuilding year. Last year you should have asked: "Would you trade Bertuzzi, Allen, and Auld for Louongo and Krackers while allowing Carter, Jovo, Ruutu, Brown, Wienrich and Carney to walk via free agency if the Canucks are rebuilding?"
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Did....did you just call me a troll?

and people paying to see Linden play 6 mins a night? Please...
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:Did....did you just call me a troll?
Fuckin' rights you're a troll, 100%. a perfect description of a Troll. You contribute just enough to the boards to not make it glaringly obvious, but all you ever do is trash the canucks, the players and the fans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others.
sound familiar?
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Soapy wrote:If you were building a team, would Luongo, Ohlund & the Sedins be a nice start? At the deadline the CANUCKS will get a RANSOM for Salo. They probably won't be able to re-sign him. We will get sweet prospects for Salo. Every playoff team will covet the booming slapshot from the point. Other UFA's that might attract attention for a playoff team are Bulis or Linden. We would only get picks for these two.
As for our prospects, they are starting to look good. No need to sell the farm eh Farhan.

http://www.canucks.com/subpage.asp?sectionID=685
I definitely agree that the Canucks would get great value for Sami Salo. As far as "selling the farm" goes, I don't know why you think I want to do that....considering that I have the polar opposite opinion (expressed in this thread).

If anything - I want to build the best farm in the NHL.
After thinking a bit more about what you have written Farhan, I think if the Canucks are completely tanking around the trade deadline, your point is a lot more valid.
Ohlund is too affordable to let him go for the minutes he eats up so he is off the table....this year. Luongo isn't going anywhere so why bring it up. Same with the Sedins.
It would be interesting to see what Naslund or Morrison would bring in return at a deadline deal if the Canucks were toast. If the Canucks were going to blow it up & rebuild..these are the two to go.
I would hate to be the prospect we traded Naslund for...tons of pressure & forever in the spotlight.
I think that this thread should be re-started closer to the trade deadline.
Last edited by Soapy on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Badfish wrote:
JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:Did....did you just call me a troll?
Fuckin' rights you're a troll, 100%. a perfect description of a Troll. You contribute just enough to the boards to not make it glaringly obvious, but all you ever do is trash the canucks, the players and the fans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others.
sound familiar?
Thank you Badfish....I think you speak for all of us on that topic....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Soapy wrote:
After thinking a bit more about what you have written Farhan, I think if the Canucks are completely tanking around the trade deadline, your point is a lot more valid.
Ohlund is too affordable to let him go for the minutes he eats up so he is off the table....this year. Luongo isn't going anywhere so why bring it up. Same with the Sedins.
It would be interesting to see what Naslund or Morrison would bring in return at a deadline deal if the Canucks were toast. If the Canucks were going to blow it up & rebuild..these are the two to go.
I would hate to be the prospect we traded Naslund for...tons of pressure & forever in the spotlight.
I think that this thread should be re-started closer to the trade deadline.
Hey,

I'll concede that trading Luongo and/or Sedins' at the trade deadline is...well...probably not a very good idea. :) Like I stated in my original post, I was trying to play devil's advocate in this thread (and admittedly, sort of did get carried away :)).

Nonetheless - I do think it would be interesting to see WHAT teams would be willing to give up (at the trade deadline) for Sedin twins and Luongo. However - like a poster above mentioned, it would be horrible PR, etc. if Nonis went against his verbal no-trade clause, etc., etc. (I wasn't even aware that there was one of the Nucks).

Truth be told - I'm not really a huge fan of rebuilding (as I've stated in previous threads of mine). I guess in my mind, I was pondering that if the Canucks truly ARE in rebuilding mode....then maybe they should go the whole 9 yards.

I guess that's what makes these message boards so great. You can discuss an idea no matter how crazy it is. :P
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I'm in desperate need of a couple of scripts: one to block anything posted by jamesownz and one to spell-check and punctuate anything posted by canucks_fan2.

Meanwhile, I'll throw in my support for the exclude Luongo, Sedins, Ohlund and 'wait until closer to the deadline' comments.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cornuck wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:ON TOP OF ALL THAT - the Canucks, with the FREED UP CAP SPACE......can then sign players of equal value in the offseason!!! (or am I completely missing something here?). In the CAP era, this is NOT a farfetched assumption to make.
I think this is the plan the Bruins went with during the lockout - they cleaned out their roster hoping that they could rebuild with much cheaper salaries. They didn't seem to set the league on fire with all their new signings, and aren't doing much better this year.
Yeah - it doesn't seem like the Bruins are doing much better. Still - imagine what they could've got for Thornton if...

a) They shopped Thornton around and saw what OTHER teams had to offer (as opposed to just secretly dealing him to SJ)

b) Possibly waiting around the trade deadline.

Bruins would've received FAR more for Thornton.......and probably still would've had the money to sign Chara in the offseason.