Trade (insert player) to free up cap space?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Trade (insert player) to free up cap space?

Post by Larry Goodenough » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:14 pm

Only 6 teams are on pace to be 4.5 million or more under the cap this year. The rest are right up against the cap or have little wiggle room.

Washington - 15.9 million
Pittsburgh - 11.2 m
Nashville - 5.3 m
St.Louis - 5.1m
Anaheim - 4.7m
Carolina - 4.6m

If you want to dump Cooke, Morrison, Bulis, etc.... who will take them? These are your only candidates.

WASH and PITT are under their own budgets and probably won't take on any more.

NASH and STL have their own revenue issues and probably wouldn't want to take on more. Possibly NASH, but they would wait for a big ticket guy at the trade deadline.

ANA is going great, why would they even tinker?

CAR waited til the deadline last year to evaluate and trade, it won them a cup, why would they change this year.

Nonis has no moves to make as he really has no trading partners. If he does swap, he has to get equal salary back. No one will take on a Morrison or Cooke unless Nonis agrees to take their salary cap problems back in return. How would one headache for another solve anything?

Call for Nonis to take action as much as you want. His hands are tied and this is the team we will probably see at least until the trade deadline in February.

Under cap systems in most sports, the team you begin the year with is usually the one you have to go with for the whole year. That's why you see few trades during the season in the NFL and NBA. Changes have to wait until the off season when contracts expire.

User avatar
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Trade (insert player) to free up cap space?

Post by sic puppy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:46 pm

Larry Goodenough wrote: Call for Nonis to take action as much as you want. His hands are tied and this is the team we will probably see at least until the trade deadline in February.
Good point, Issy. While many will say that Nonis tied his own hands (another thread is discussing this), the fact that Nonis has chosen this direction will take at least a season given his cap restrictions.

It is interesting to look at how each of the teams have salaried their positions. Of the 30 teams each have their own weighted take on how the funds are distributed. The blue print isn't clear yet which one will be most successful, altho' a certain amount of luck enters any equation for success.

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8255
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Post by Cornuck » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Thanks for reality check. I haven't been expecting a trade - mostly for these reasons, but you've made a good analysis. I don't honestly think a trade would help much anyways.

This club was expected to be close to .500 and that's about where we are, but that could go south by the all star break. Nobody would have predicted this complete lack of scoring.

At least we have Luongo to season ticket holders a reason to show up.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Kel
MVP
MVP
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:26 pm

Post by Kel » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:55 pm

The only reason for making trades is that it can't get worse. Nonis may be able to trade Morrison for another underacheiving $3 million forward, but a new environment could make a positive impact to the player and the team.

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Post by Larry Goodenough » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:48 pm

Kel wrote:The only reason for making trades is that it can't get worse. Nonis may be able to trade Morrison for another underacheiving $3 million forward, but a new environment could make a positive impact to the player and the team.
A new environment? Do you have an example or two to prove your point?

Harold
CC Veteran
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:10 pm
Location: Edmonton

Post by Harold » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:54 pm

You forgot the option of waiving both Chouinard and Bulis and sending them to the minors. The way both have played this year it wouldn't be much of a stretch. If they are in the minors, or another tream claims them before they go down, their salary is off the books.

Kel
MVP
MVP
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:26 pm

Post by Kel » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:09 pm

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Kel wrote:The only reason for making trades is that it can't get worse. Nonis may be able to trade Morrison for another underacheiving $3 million forward, but a new environment could make a positive impact to the player and the team.
A new environment? Do you have an example or two to prove your point?
Kiprusoff did not play well in San Jose and lost his backup job before traded to Calgary.

Roloson had an off year (by his standard) in Minnesota before his play improved (after a rocky start) after a trade to Edmonton. His former teammate, Samsonov, was better in Edmonton than in Boston, but got worse after moving to Montreal. There are probably numerous examples that a player's production changed after a trade. (I guess it could go either way, but how much can it get worse given the low production from a lot of the Canucks forwards?)

Kel
MVP
MVP
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:26 pm

Post by Kel » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:11 pm

Harold wrote:You forgot the option of waiving both Chouinard and Bulis and sending them to the minors. The way both have played this year it wouldn't be much of a stretch. If they are in the minors, or another tream claims them before they go down, their salary is off the books.
Yes, but if they were not claimed and sent to the minors, the owner would have to agree on an increase in payroll because of their one-way contracts. Given the attendance trend and ticket demand, Mr Aquilini may not be willing to do so.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:14 pm

Morrison to Washington for Pettinger! If Nonis could trick them into doing it, using his recent hip problems as being in the past and his potential as a Semin/Ovechkin set-up man, good on the point for the PP etc.

Petty is the kind of guy that would thrive in AV's system. Look at his shooting percentage.


20 GP 9 G 7A 16 Pts 35 Shots 25.71%

Why would they trade him you ask? He's fairly one dimensional, almost a Cooke type player, and he probably won't put up these stats forever. Nonis plays this fact up and I could see it happening. We lose skill, but gain a guy who can finish and more importantly more than 2 million in cap space.

Post Reply