The Power Play

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

The Power Play

Post by Fred »

Note to AV the cycle game does not work on the P/P, they don't spread to opposition box and they don't get enough shots on goal neither do they go to the front of the net often enough.

Nice to see them get a P/P goal with the second line tipping in a point shot, big man in front. That's a part of the game that hasn't changed. a Big body in front and FIRE
cheers
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Fred I think what has also happened is that once a particular line receives first line billing they get scouted a lot more with the idea of shutting that line down. While the Canucks still had the WCE plus the Sedins there were two looks to the power play. Now the Sedins cycle game during the power play has become much more predictable and the opposition frequently positions itself between the man on the right wing boards and the man in the corner to intercept the inevitable pass once the former is pressured.

Given Naslund's release I wish more of an effort was made to spring him loose through the slot a la Bossy, instead of down low and through the crease. He has a deadly wrist shott, so why not set him up in an area where it is most effective.

As for the rest of the team I agree, the more traffic in front, during the power play, the better. There just is not enough talent to score pretty set up goals every time.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Yeah no doubt teams are aware of the game plan for the 1st line P/P and frankly the counter plan is not difficult keep them to the outside and let them cycle,... once they've gained the zone the other big point i think we foregt is both Henrik and Naslund like to play the same position on the P/P. Both play the half board on the right side.

The current 2nd line for the P/P looked much more likely to score
cheers
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I heard Willie Mitchell saying that he loved it when other teams cycle when on the power play because it is easier to defend against than a shot from the point with traffic.

Now the Canucks scored two goals on the powerplay with point shots and traffic. What do you think the chances are that they will stay with that plan? Slim and none I'd say.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
dvsmindset
AHL Prospect

need pp goals

Post by dvsmindset »

ok they need to bring back the sedins game plan and thats a low cycle for sure, keep to the corners and through the puck in front of the net, i think the ideal line the nucks should have on the pp would be sedins with pyatt in front of the net at all times with salo on the point they also need to put a fast skating forward on the point who has a good low shot from the point and in that case put cooke there in my mind they could use this line on the pp not for the skill cause cooke is not the most skillfull player(but i still think matt cooke should be the captin of the team) but he has a great intence play that could work in this case they need to take a more agressive take on the pp just do it
Nanaimo_Nuck
CC Rookie

Re: need pp goals

Post by Nanaimo_Nuck »

dvsmindset wrote:ok they need to bring back the sedins game plan and thats a low cycle for sure, keep to the corners and through the puck in front of the net, i think the ideal line the nucks should have on the pp would be sedins with pyatt in front of the net at all times with salo on the point they also need to put a fast skating forward on the point who has a good low shot from the point and in that case put cooke there in my mind they could use this line on the pp not for the skill cause cooke is not the most skillfull player(but i still think matt cooke should be the captin of the team) but he has a great intence play that could work in this case they need to take a more agressive take on the pp just do it
U sir/maam are ________ cooke captain.. he cant even stay healthy

mod edit: please refrain from personal attacks, thanks.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

As an aside, I recall watching a Canucks PPV broadcast last year, where the topic amongst the ex Canuck NHL'ers providing the commentary in between periods was the lack of success the Canuck power play was having at that time. One of the players (unfortunately Ii can't remember whether it was Ryan Walter or someone else) pointed to the perennial success of the Detroit power play. It was a rather simple formula, two quick passes to work a man in the open, who would then almost every time shoot on net.

While on the face of it, it seems a rather simple plan of attack, but as the player noted, what it accomplished was a number of things. Any player screening in front knew when the shot was coming, as did other Detroit players in the vicinity of the net, which in turn allowed them to go hard to the net in anticipation of any loose pucks or rebounds, which created a concerted attack on the net and made it very difficult to defend against, even if you knew what was coming. Of course it doesn't hurt to have players like Shanahan,Yzerman, Fedorov, and Lidstrom, to name but a few, in your line up.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Thet're PP is frustrating to be sure.....they seemingly don't want to adapt to the obvious.

To the post about Cooke..I was watching a classic game broadcast of a game with him playing Detroit in the 2002 playoffs...I don't think he deserves to be on the PP. He has dissapointed me deeply this season, 'cause I was reminded of the calibre of play he can achieve. WHERE IS THAT COOKE?? I LOVED THAT COOKE.

Today's Cooke looks more like an AHL captain. Its sad, we were really counting on the Matt of old this season.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I think we were counting on a lot of guys this season...Joke's on us!

If they continue at this rate:
  • Morrison: GP82 G18 A18 P35 +/- -23 3.2 Million = $ 177,777 per goal
    Cooke: GP81 G3 A12 P15 +/- -30 1.5 Million= $500,000/goal
    Bulis: GP81 G9 A12 P21 +/- -6 1.3 Million= $144,000/goal
    Kesler GP82 G9 A6 P15 +/--15 1.9 Million= $211,000/Goal

Naslund GP82 G35 A20 P55 +/- +6 6 Million= $171,428/Goal
Combined, the Sedin twins will score roughly 30 goals this year.

7.15 Million= $238,000/goal

Thus far, I don't think anybody has been pulling their weight. (Who knew Bulis was such a "steal" hey ;) )
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Thus far, I don't think anybody has been pulling their weight.
I'd be happy if they could even pull their own weight!

The entire team has underachieved save for Bieksa, Krajicek & Pyatt.

And that definitely ca be said of the coaching staff, too.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Well looks like the coaching staff took heed :)
cheers
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Arbour wrote:Fred I think what has also happened is that once a particular line receives first line billing they get scouted a lot more with the idea of shutting that line down. While the Canucks still had the WCE plus the Sedins there were two looks to the power play. Now the Sedins cycle game during the power play has become much more predictable and the opposition frequently positions itself between the man on the right wing boards and the man in the corner to intercept the inevitable pass once the former is pressured.

Given Naslund's release I wish more of an effort was made to spring him loose through the slot a la Bossy, instead of down low and through the crease. He has a deadly wrist shott, so why not set him up in an area where it is most effective.

As for the rest of the team I agree, the more traffic in front, during the power play, the better. There just is not enough talent to score pretty set up goals every time.
Credit where due: Great, insightful post.

I just wish the coach would get enough brains to keep Naslund away from the twins, except as a secret power play weapon, with a real plan for scoring goals in special circumstances. So maybe we can score 5 on 3?
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Hey, that's what i meant with my post a few minutes before in the "Are the Sedins a true 1st Line" thread by saying try it with two 2nd lines. :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'