Is it time to send Sabourin down?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Is it time to send Sabourin down?

Post by Icebreaka »

Seriously the guy doesn't seem like he's ready to make the switch to the NHL. Two games now and he gives up 2 goals on in the first 3 minutes of both games. I know he'd have to pass waivers but he's not really such a hot prospect IMHO. I think we could win 2 or 3 more games by years end with Flaherty back there.

We know Roberto is going to get 95% of the games but at this point the other 5% are write offs in my mind. If he were ever to get injured, even for 2 weeks, we would be in some kind of trouble.
jayr
AHL Prospect

Post by jayr »

Time to get rid of him in my opinion, at 26 no offense but you need to have proven a little more in the nhl in my opinion.Was there a good reason for them picking this guy up anyway? I mean flaherty gets thrown around like a little biatch and they they screw him over again. im soo sick of them pussyfooting around issues. they are throwing points down the drain when they play this guy in the hopes that he might win one? c'mon.
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

His upside is he was one of the best goalies in the AHL last year. But honestly he couldn't make the Penguins team and was sent down and we got him from waivers. When 2 points could make the difference between a playoff spot or not this year I don't see the logic. Is he just awesome on practices or something?
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

I'd be a lot more comfortable with Johnson, Hedberg or Noronen back there. Isn't Sabourin young, does he have any 'upside'?
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Given our options I think he should get a couple more chances. He does seem to settle down after the pressure is off, but for a team that has trouble scoring goals a goalie that puts the team behind right off the bat isn't very compatible. He obviously isn't NHL calibre at this point but he is on the edge. Whether he can develop or if he has plateaued is the million dollare question. If he can get over the flat starts he could be sufficient for our needs/cap room but after watching him play the first 2 games in the bigs I wouldn't bet a lot on it. Just seems a second to slow to react to the play and position himself.One intangible that all decent goalies possess is that they elevate their performance as a reaction to stress and Sabourin seems to do the opposite. I don't think the Nashville game should be viewed that harshly. He didn't look that sharp but even Luongo probably would have let in 2 or 3 of those goals. Once we were down 2 it just seemed that the team psychologically accepted that they were going to lose and Nashville smelled the blood in the water.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

magnum44 wrote:Given our options I think he should get a couple more chances. He does seem to settle down after the pressure is off, but for a team that has trouble scoring goals a goalie that puts the team behind right off the bat isn't very compatible. He obviously isn't NHL calibre at this point but he is on the edge. Whether he can develop or if he has plateaued is the million dollare question. If he can get over the flat starts he could be sufficient for our needs/cap room but after watching him play the first 2 games in the bigs I wouldn't bet a lot on it. Just seems a second to slow to react to the play and position himself.One intangible that all decent goalies possess is that they elevate their performance as a reaction to stress and Sabourin seems to do the opposite.
I'm leaning towards sending the guy down to the minors. In his defense and in defense of Mika Noronen, Maxime Ouellet and others who barely played last year (or this year for that matter) it's tough to play well when you barely get a chance to play to begin with.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Sabourin is not a NHL goaltender. He is good enough for the AHL, but not ready for the big boys. Either bring up Flaherty or get someone else, but this is a joke.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Jovorock wrote:Sabourin is not a NHL goaltender. He is good enough for the AHL, but not ready for the big boys. Either bring up Flaherty or get someone else, but this is a joke.
If you want to carry an NHL quality goalie, you have to pay him at that level, so before you make a move you have to get rid of the likes of Chouniard, Satana and Bulin. Not an easy task
cheers
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

I think its become obvious that either he is not NHL ready OR hes simply not able to stay in the "im ready to play frame of mind"... which i dont blame him for, the guy is backing up possibly one of the best netminders in the world, but the majority of being the backup is being game ready all the time.... i say send him down, if we lose him on waivers its not gonna be a huge loss... otherwise send him down and get him playing some more hockey
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Victoriafan
CC Rookie

Post by Victoriafan »

Two starts in 24 games? Not enough to judge in my opinion. As great as it would be, we can't start Roberto every single game. I'll admit that his first 2 starts have not been impressive, but he needs more playing time to prove himself. At this pace, Luongo will start 75 games this year, which is WAY too much in my opinion. Bring that down to 65-68 and give Dany a chance.

Every game there is an argument as to why we should start Luongo, but the backup still needs SOME playing time. I say throw him in against Carolina next week. Not ready to give up on Sabourin.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

your right, he does need some playing time... but just as long as he doesnt play on boxing day against the Flamers, then im happy!!!
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews