Darcy Hordichuk verbal shot at the Canucks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Darcy Hordichuk verbal shot at the Canucks

Post by mattola »

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 40451/1028
Quote:
A parting shot: Predators forward Darcy Hordichuk took a verbal shot at the Canucks when asked whether he was surprised there weren't more fights in the game.

"That's a perfect example that Vancouver has no toughness over there,'' Hordichuk said. "If they were going to start anything, we would have taken care of it pretty quickly.

"If we would have played a team like the Columbus Blue Jackets, we would have seen a few more fights. Guys like (Jordin Tootoo) and myself were running around, and (Jerred Smithson), and no one was really doing anything.''

Hordichuk then paused, realizing the probable consequence of his statements.

"I'm going to get in a fight the next game (against Vancouver),'' Hordichuk said with a laugh. "But I'm ready for it. I need (penalty minutes).''
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

When you can't score and have to follow the game plan perfectly to have a chance at winning defensively and other teams are laughing at you for your lack of toughness, I would think it's time to make changes.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Hordichuk is a paid up member of the goons union, if more teams don't start reverting to goon tactics, guess what he's out of a job to
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The sick thing is, he's right. We're a team full of pussies. The Burrows fight was laughable. Short of Bieksa, I don't think I would want anyone on this team fighting. Guys like Burrows, Cooke, and Kesler play chippy and don't back anything up. Hordichuck is right, if this team had any toughness there would be more fights in a 6-0 game.

It's games like these where you miss players like Jovo and Bertuzzi, at least they could drop the gloves and handle themselves to some degree. Not saying we should go out and get a Brashear...but for a team so short on offensive talent, what's the harm in losing a guy like Green, or Burrows for someone to play 4th line minutes and improve team toughness tenfold.

Biggest difference between us and Calgary...toughness. If we had Buffalo's talent then yeah, re-think it...but even they have Andrew Peters.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

It really is embarasing to watch Canuck players skate away from a teamate that is being pushed around and pretend not to see it. Somthing has to be done.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The sick thing is, he's right. We're a team full of pussies. The Burrows fight was laughable. Short of Bieksa, I don't think I would want anyone on this team fighting. Guys like Burrows, Cooke, and Kesler play chippy and don't back anything up. Hordichuck is right, if this team had any toughness there would be more fights in a 6-0 game.

It's games like these where you miss players like Jovo and Bertuzzi, at least they could drop the gloves and handle themselves to some degree. Not saying we should go out and get a Brashear...but for a team so short on offensive talent, what's the harm in losing a guy like Green, or Burrows for someone to play 4th line minutes and improve team toughness tenfold.

Biggest difference between us and Calgary...toughness. If we had Buffalo's talent then yeah, re-think it...but even they have Andrew Peters.
Cooke, yes, doesn't back it up, but Burrows answered the call, and I don't see how you can say that Kesler isn't willing, he has not been afraid to take on some tough customers (not necessarily goons, but it's smart and gutsy to take on Iginla).

Still, I'm all for waiving Santala and replacing him with Rypien (when healthy, I think Nonis earlier said that's the plan, anyway), he's not exactly big but he's a good fighter and is more willing than Santala. Trade Cooke for some defensive depth and then replace him with Bouck, a million cheaper, and tougher, willing to fight. That at least gives us Bieksa, Bouck and Rypien, none goons but all willing, and Kesler and Mitchell, as a couple other guys we don't want fighting but certainly not pushovers.
Mark
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

I'm pretty much with you all the way MArk, except i'd rather trade Cooke for someone in a similar situation on another tream buit with a bit more upside...A Trent Hunter type...
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

ververgaert wrote:It really is embarasing to watch Canuck players skate away from a teamate that is being pushed around and pretend not to see it. Somthing has to be done.
I agree with you 100%. If you have one guy that is tough, skilled guys have more room on the ice!
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Post by Canuck2 »

Having Rypien and Bouck would be great BUT they will have a ton of trouble with the likes of Boogaard, Laraque, Parros, Ivanans, Parker, Walker and Shelley. A different weight class. Teams are slowly starting to move away from the enforcer type players, as evident in the Northwest Division, but I for one, hate to see any of the Canucks get pushed around with no response. Just take a look at how many times Naslund gets hit in a game now, to me, it seems to be happening a lot more. If it's happening more, could affect his production, and if that happens, points lost in the standings, which could mean, no playoffs, AGAIN!
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The sick thing is, he's right. We're a team full of pussies. The Burrows fight was laughable. Short of Bieksa, I don't think I would want anyone on this team fighting. Guys like Burrows, Cooke, and Kesler play chippy and don't back anything up. Hordichuck is right, if this team had any toughness there would be more fights in a 6-0 game.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having Brashear again. I would take his hands over anyone on our fourth line - he scored a few nice goals - oh yeah and he has a killer left.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Laraque, Parros, Ivanans, Parker, Walker and Shelley.

All of the above have trouble with Boogard to, I don't believe there is any one in the league can match that guy. He's a thug, has no hockey skills and I just heard Colin Campbell talk about the real trouble any players is in matching up with him. I have to believ the NHL is seriously concerned about where Boogard has taken the league to, if some one gets seriously injured is there a suit against the league coming ie they undeerstood the potential for serious injury and yet did nothing about it.

Boogard is before the courts at some time in the fiuture for injury he did to some one in a bar during the summer, my moneytells me it may lead to him being thrown out of the league
cheers
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

I wonder if that comment has anything to do with all the Canucks swarming around the guy who hit Mitchell on the icing last night against colorado?

Out of all the guys on the Canucks right now that I would not want to fight I think Bieksa tops the list. I'd hate to see him get hurt, but I'd love to see him answer the call a few times. That one fight he had last year, he was throwing them like a cash register "ka ching, ka ching" it was something that definitely sends a message to anyone who sees it.
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Post by Canuck2 »

Fred wrote:Laraque, Parros, Ivanans, Parker, Walker and Shelley.

All of the above have trouble with Boogard to, I don't believe there is any one in the league can match that guy. He's a thug, has no hockey skills and I just heard Colin Campbell talk about the real trouble any players is in matching up with him. I have to believ the NHL is seriously concerned about where Boogard has taken the league to, if some one gets seriously injured is there a suit against the league coming ie they undeerstood the potential for serious injury and yet did nothing about it.

Boogard is before the courts at some time in the fiuture for injury he did to some one in a bar during the summer, my moneytells me it may lead to him being thrown out of the league
Laraque hasn't lost against him, in fact, Boogaard hasn't played since their last fight. Boogaard is a monster, no doubt about that, but every fighter loses once in a while (although in his case, it's pretty rare), that is just the way it is. I think he might have a little trouble with lefties, since Brashear also beat him last year. I would also like to see how he does against another power puncher like Parker.

I don't see any lawsuits if he sticks with fighting the other teams tough guy...injuries related to a fight comes with the occupation of being the teams enforcer. Fedoruk hasn't filed any lawsuits after their last fight.
McIntyre
AHL Prospect

Post by McIntyre »

The guy we really miss is Jovo. He was a tough talented player who could turn onto Jovocop when he had to. I wish we had players like him and not have to rely on hired goons.
"Last season, we couldn’t win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure as a coach was that I couldn’t think of any place else to play."
-- Harry Neale - 1980