Lets get Rory Fitzpatrick into the all-star game...UPDATE!!!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Harold
CC Veteran

Lets get Rory Fitzpatrick into the all-star game...UPDATE!!!

Post by Harold » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:38 pm

http://www.voteforrory.com/

Just thought I would pass this along...a bunch of fans are banding together and trying to hijack the voting for the All-Star game to get in our own RORY FITZPATRICK to the game. The voting for the all-star game is usually a farce, with players getting in based on popularity rather than play. Not only would it be hilarious to see Rory become an all-star, but also it would show the NHL that their all-star selection system needs to be changed. So vote as many times as you can. Many other boards including HF, Cpuck, and the Canucks board are getting in on this. :D
Last edited by Harold on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:04 pm

Indeed... and for the record, this was started by Sabre fans, not Canuck fans! :lol:

When voting, try not to vote for the same defensemen each time (other than Öhlund, of course ;)), lest they match Rory's totals...

trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:24 am

The Greaser's board is in on this so I expect all the other boards are too.
I think it's cruel. Maybe the NHL needs to change it's procedure, but do we really have to pick on Rory?
He is still a Canuck after all.
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke

MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:44 am

I'm all for it, consider it done!

Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:08 am

I think voting for Rory is stupid, I'd rather see Canuck fans take this chance to vote in a guy like Salo or even Bieksa who have performed admirably for the Nucks and don't recieve the kudos they deserve, things like this make me shake my head...

Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:54 pm

Kikbutt_10 wrote:I think voting for Rory is stupid, I'd rather see Canuck fans take this chance to vote in a guy like Salo or even Bieksa who have performed admirably for the Nucks and don't recieve the kudos they deserve, things like this make me shake my head...
I'm guessing you were always the downer at parties? How is voting for Rory stupid?
I tell you what is stupid: the NHL allowing fans to vote as many times as they want for players to appear in the NHL all-star game. It turns it into an event not for the best players, but a popularity contest. Part of the reason for this is to show the league that their voting system is flawed.
Fans from every team on many message boards are voting multiple times per day to get Rory in. So you go ahead and cast your wasted vote for Bieksa. He definitely may deserve it, but think he has a chance in hell of getting in? Instead you have the opportunity to join something that may actually make a difference, and get the NHL to change their voting system.
And hell, I don't think it is cruel to Rory. Think of it as the underdog who works his ass off and is finally given some recognition for the hard work. If it was me, I would think it is a great thing.

Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:55 pm

I got this off of another site:

"Was just listening to CFOX (www.cfox.com),Vancouvers best radio station, and they plugged the site at around 8:15 AM on the Jeff O-Neil show.
They even said they VOTED!!!!!!!"

It is picking up steam!

Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:36 pm

If the NHL's voting system is so "flawed" how come every single major sports league has the same system of allowing the fans, who are watching and paying for the product to have the majority say into who plays in the all-star game? Of course it's a freakin popularity contest, the most popular players are most popular for a reason, aren't they? What "difference" do you want? maybe they should just go down the list of the top scorers and not take into consideration the fan input at all?...

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:45 pm

No, the most popular players are popular because they're decent, but play in the right markets. It's far easier for a New York Yankee to get voted in than a Kansas City Royal. Plus, whoever assembles the ballot inevitably does so based on factors other than "who is the best this season?" which is really all that matters. It's stilly in all sports.

Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:03 pm

Kikbutt_10 wrote:If the NHL's voting system is so "flawed" how come every single major sports league has the same system of allowing the fans, who are watching and paying for the product to have the majority say into who plays in the all-star game? Of course it's a freakin popularity contest, the most popular players are most popular for a reason, aren't they? What "difference" do you want? maybe they should just go down the list of the top scorers and not take into consideration the fan input at all?...
Of course it is a popularity contest. A player like Doug Weight who has 1 goal this whole season is on the ballot while a guy like Salo is not. Also, do you really think Ohlund should be on the ballot and Salo not? And Datsyuk and Zetterberg are good players, but they haven't had all-star seasons, yet are both on the ballot this year. It's because the casual fan knows who Ohlund, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg are, and can identify them. Not because they've had all-star seasons and deserve to be playing in an all-star game this year.
I think there should either be a restriction so that each fan can only vote once (as opposed to the current system where you can vote as many times as you want and stuff the ballot box), or GM's should vote and pick the teams.
A GM in the league would look at the Canucks and see that Salo deserves to be there, while Ohlund probably doesn't. The casual fan wouldn't make that same selection.

Anyhow, that is just a tangential point really. For me, the all-star game isn't the most exciting spectacle around. Sometimes it even seems like a parody of a hockey game. So anything that will put a bit of excitement and energy into a tired concept like the all-star game is welcome from me.

Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:43 pm

Of course no one is offering an alternative to how it should be run. For my money I think it should be the fans who vote, its a fan's deal. What I think I understand though is that there isn't a proper limit on the amount of times you can vote? So I can vote for my favourite player 10 times? If that's the case then I believe its flawed. If the beef is just that the most popular players get into the all star game then I think you need to find another thing to complain about in life.

Also if you think its a farce in its current forward aren't you just making it a complete joke by putting Rory Fitzpatrick in. I appreciate the humour but still its kind of like saying this sucks so I'm going to make it worse.

I also feel pretty bad for him if he gets in. How's he going to feel in the dressing room as the "Guy who got in because of the Internet" He's going to feel pretty uncomfortable with the thing.

Just playing devil's advocate, normally I'm all up for hijinx but for this one I'm not

Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:43 pm

Now on Deadspin. :D

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:09 pm

On the one hand, it's only the All star game, so who cares who plays. May as let the fans have 'some' say in the game they invest in. If it's a popularity contest who cares? It's just a hyped up game of shinny.

Now if they wanted to showcase the game, the GM's would do the voting - with the east GM's picking the eastern team, and the west GM's picking the west. Then we would see the players that deserve (more likely) and probably a better game.

The all-star game and all its fanfare seems to me like the royalty throwing scraps to the peasants to let them think they have it good. For the rest of the season, the fan has no input into the game they eat, breathe and live.

Bottom line - Rory Fitzpatrick should be an all-star! Let lunatics take over the asylum!
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:59 pm

Updated voting for this week:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=28 ... rvice=page

Rory is ahead of Schneider! And only 12,000 behind Ohlund. Keep voting people!

orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:43 pm

Looking at this thing, it seems that all it's about is determining who gets put in the starting lineup. The odds are, that is, that the top players who get voted in here were probably on their way to the all-star game anyhow.

Which means every vote is wasted. Unless everyone votes against the obvious choices, for an unknown... like, say, Rory Fitzpatrick.

6.5 million largely meaningless clicks. Is that what the internet boils down to?