Next season, keep or trade Kesler?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

gobi
MVP
MVP

Next season, keep or trade Kesler?

Post by gobi »

Just want to see what are some of the opinions regarding Kesler for next season. I am sure that many will agree that he's overpaid based on what he's contributing right now. Heck, at his current pace, I don't even know if he will get more than ten goals by the end of the season. However, he is fast and a tenacious player despite his lack of scoring touch. At the end of the season, he will be a RFA but DN won't be able to trade until one year after he signed the deal which means next year September.

Personally, I would trade Kesler and free up the cap space. I doubt he will ever turn into a prolific scorer.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

At the conclussion of this season I think itwill become apparent is he a keeper or trade bait. His figure today project to the end of the season suggests that at the price he's at now he'll be trade bait but to who and what will be his value.

I have to believe DN will ty and sign this players at about half his current slalry long term and if he's unwilling to accpt that he's gonzo
cheers
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

to which I respond qua? doesn't everyone remember when this guy was drafted and he was projected to be a very good 3rd line center or at best a defensive 2nd line center? Where did this notion that he would ever be a scorer come from?
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

For what Kesler's making, he is expected to be more than just a 3rd line center and certainly scoring more than just 2 goals so far even if he is not labelled as a goal scorer. With the added money comes extra responsibilities regardless of whether you are ready for it or not.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Yep u can't load down a Salary Cap with high paid third line centres
cheers
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Btw, Fred, I have never seen a player taking a pay cut no matter how grossly overpaid he may be.
phockey73
AHL Prospect

Post by phockey73 »

I have never seen a player taking a pay cut no matter how grossly overpaid he may be
Paul Kariya signing with the Avs
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I think if he signs for 900k at the end of the season he's worth keeping around. For the high energy , hands of stone game he brings that seems fair . It would also make him very attractive in the trade market if he was signed long term at a reasonable but fair amount.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

cerios wrote: Where did this notion that he would ever be a scorer come from?
Exaclty. He has poor hands. He will never score 20 in any saeson in the NHL. When he skates with the puck, it looks like he's shovelling a baked potato down the ice. Brutal hands, not enough vision or anticipation. Hard-working third-line centre is his realistic calling.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
hairball
AHL Prospect

Post by hairball »

Pretty early in the season yet but gonna have to trade somebody for someone who can get it in the net. Or we could even use a goon on the ice , maybe the guys can keep the game energy up with somebody that gets the fans yelling.
hockeyhockeyhockey
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Everybody knows he's not worth 1.9 million. Clarke threw that out there to screw us, and we had to call it because otherwise we effectively trade a 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick. It's complete horse shit, and there's no way in hell Kesler signs for more than 1 mil next year. If he keeps his current production up, he'll have no bargaining chips whatsoever. I think that we sign him to a qualifying offer, then look to deal.