Edler sent down BUT Coloumbe stays ... Why?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

yammi
CC Veteran

Edler sent down BUT Coloumbe stays ... Why?

Post by yammi »

Anyone else find it strange that, of the two, Edler is the one sent to Manitoba and Coloumbe remains a Canuck?

Based on their handful of games as Canucks, Edler showed a lot more, had the TV commentators gushing, and was surprisingly steady and poised.

Coloumbe, on the other hand, has been less effective taking his man (and this led to at least 2 goals against that I can think), has an all-round game that is not as impressive as Edler's, and in my opinion messes up the powerplay by not staying in position back at the point.

I guess Vigneault thinks it's fine to have Coloumbe dart down to net on the PP, but this forces Salo to move away from his point and take the centre of the blueline ... this makes Salo's point shot less effective, makes it tougher to keep the puck in the zone (which led to Detroit's shorthanded game winner the other night), and generally takes away from the Sedin's cycling that was the key to PP success in earlier games.

If it's my call, Edler stays and plays (even when Fitzpartrick returns) ... and, despite their scoring amnesia, Coloumbe is not the guy the Canucks need right now.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Have to wonder if it's because whomever stays is likely to either sit in the press box or ride the pine for most of the games. Elder can go back to the Moose and get experience and playing time then be recalled later in the year if/when injuries occur to our D without having him play too many games and be subject to waiver. While Coloumbe can stay with the club in a limited capacity,

That rule is still in place isn't it?
R.I.P. Luc.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Yeah, this one has me shaking my head. I can see it if it's a matter of giving Edler quality minutes for development purposes, but then he was getting quality minutes when he played here anyway. Even with Mitchell and Salo back, if Edler could handle the minutes, wouldn't it take some pressure off the others?

It's good to see Coulombe try and make things happen on the PP, but defensively he hasn't given me any warmy fuzzy feelings. If he's going to get Fitzpatrick's minutes, is it doing him any favours devleopmentally? Hopefully he'll reward AV and DN for their faith.

Either way, I think Edler's stint in the bigs bodes well for his chances next year. We'll see how this all pans out.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

I'm in complete agreement with you guys. I just couldn't for the life of me understand why Coloumbe was playing the other night over Edler. That's no knock on Coloumbe either. Edler has been very impressive. He has been so impressive that I don't feel so uncomfortable with him staying up here as the permanent number 6. He should be given a longer look. Sure he might not last but from the few games he was in he proved, in my opinion, that he deserves to stay.

To be fair to Coloumbe I don't think you can really fault him on either of the two Wings goals. The first one was an absolute fluke that bounced off of him and the second was an extremely weak one that Luongo should have had. Regardless, I don't think there's any justifiable reason why he should be playing in place of Edler.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

The only thing that makes sense to me is if they're doing it tolimit the games he plays throughout the year so he won't have to clear waivers to go up and down.... not sure (at all) how that stuff works, but if it were something like that, then fair enough. I think DN and the crew think they have a hidden gem in Edler, they've quietly been high on him as a prosepect, and don't want to show him off just yet in risk of losing him somehow on waivers.

Other then that, I agree I'd be very comfortable with him as our 6th man. Sure it's only a few games but he's looked very impressive. Would love to give him the chance to show he can keep it up.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I think it was simply because Coulombe is a more dynamic on the PP. He changes teh angles and is always moving into new positions etc. For a struglling PP that can help. I have no problem if that is the case but if that is what they do AV can not play him 5-on-5 as much as he has. Coulombe just can't handle that and probably won;t be able to for atleast a few years yet.

Edler put in a good performance and moves himself up the ladder such that he may be getting the call over a healthy Tremblay later this year. Edler was pretty good but he still needs work and he migth as well get that work playing 20+ minutes a night in the AHL.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

With Alex's performance in the big show, now he can get 20+ mins. with the Moose rather than 10 mins. with the Canucks. Edler has the least experience in North American hockey, better for him to be in the A this year.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Seems strnage but was Edler called up as ainjury replacment for Mitchell and Coloumb the same for Fitzpatrick, so when those guy are decalred fit the call ups must return ?
cheers
dawgie
AHL Prospect

Post by dawgie »

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_h ... orget_low/

And now you have his agent calling out Nonis for "Lowball" offer. Hi s agebnt might want to start listening to Coulombe's parents, otherwise patrick might need to get used to all those bus rides again.....
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Give me a break. His bloody bonus was getting the NHL contract when no one else was going to give him that shot.

If it was such a lowball offer his agent never should have let the kid sign it. if his agent thought he was going ot be such a sought after commodity he never should have let his player get locked into an AHL contract.

But I'm guessing the kid just wanted an NHL contract, it's a dream come true. If he's good enough to receive a second contract from the canucks then the lack of a paltry 100k in an initial signing bonus is going to mean squat.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I don't recognise his agent as a one the big name agents, so maybe he need the commission :-) you have to wonder what motivates these agents, any agent worth his salt shuts up and does the best he can for his athlete. Hitting the papers is not what the kid needs. An unknown player with an unknown agent stirring it up, hey this kid may end up in the minors through no fault of his own,
cheers
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Post by Canuck2 »

If Coulombe was smart, he would fire his current agent since the agent pretty much admitted he got Coulombe a bad deal...I guess anyone can be an agent these days.

As for Edler, just thinking Vigneault might just like Coulombe a little better right now for his mobility.
yammi
CC Veteran

Post by yammi »

I read the orginal article in the Vancouver Province and came away with the feeling that once again the media is trying to make a bigger thing of this than it really is ... as tantalum says, Coloumbe is almost certainly on cloud 9 right now, and not grousing about Nonis and vowing to screw the Canucks first chance he gets.

It's almost as though the newspaper has another agenda besides quality journalism ... like maybe (just maybe) creating false controversey in order to suck people into buying their crappy tabloid.

I also noticed that this is the 2nd time in less than a month that this type of pot-stirring crap was authored by Jason Botchford (remember his "Sedins are in the coach's doghouse" article) ... Tony Gallagher must be mentoring this guy.
hairball
AHL Prospect

Post by hairball »

Can't really say that Edler deserved to go back he put in a great showing Seems really solid but not much of a risk taker (worried about staying maybe ? ) Coloumbe was a nice change on the ice we could use the extra aggression , fans love it and it takes pressure off the guys in the corners all the time.
hockeyhockeyhockey
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Coloumbe stays becasue he adds offence to a team struggling with creating offence.

I didn't think it was rocket science.....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.