Mark Messier Award

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
jchockey
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:46 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Mark Messier Award

Post by jchockey » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:09 pm

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=184175&hubname=

Handpicked by Messier and goes to the player that best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice.

A Messier award already and no Gretzky award? C'mon now...

User avatar
Soapy
MVP
MVP
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Don't we already have an award ?

Post by Soapy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:16 pm

King Clancy Memorial Trophy

The King Clancy Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community.
The Clancy Trophy was presented to the National Hockey League by the Board of Governors in 1988 to honor the late Frank "King" Clancy.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

User avatar
Momesso
CC Veteran
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:27 pm

Post by Momesso » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:00 pm

Sometimes I just wonder if the NY media just has too much pull.

No doubt, he was a great Captain. But after 1994, Messier's leadership was mostly hype. But what about all the other great leaders in the game?

Yzerman?
Bourque?
Sakic?

And all the other great leaders of yesteryear?
Eyes on the Prize

User avatar
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Timmins, Ontario

Re: Don't we already have an award ?

Post by Linden Is God » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:30 pm

Soapy wrote:King Clancy Memorial Trophy

The King Clancy Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community.
The Clancy Trophy was presented to the National Hockey League by the Board of Governors in 1988 to honor the late Frank "King" Clancy.
I was thinking this was a great idea, not because I like Messier. Actually I hate him and wish he would just go away. But I like how the league is keeping their greats involved in the game. But after reading your post, this award makes no sense

User avatar
Soapy
MVP
MVP
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, BC

Post by Soapy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:35 pm

Also there is this:
Messier, with input from the league, will select a player in each month who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice.
There will also be a leader of the year award given at the end of the regular season.

Messier is going to choose the player himself??? Exactly how is he going to do this?? Watching games on TV from the Messier compound?? Flying around the league to meet players & follow the "on & off ice contributions"??
Why does the league embarrass themselves with this crap?
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

User avatar
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:51 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON
Contact:

Post by Jyrki21 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:56 pm

This is just silly.

I hearby announce the JYRKI XXI AWARD, granted on the 14th of each month, to a player that I find deserving.

Criteria include:

1. How cool is his name?

2. Is he underappreciated?

3. Does he play for Colorado? (If so, he will not win).

4. Does he seem like a nice guy?

5. Total and utter caprice.

Everyone stay tuned! First winner gets named tomorrow!
Image

User avatar
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:02 am

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:16 pm

Great, Yes... Awesome award thank you Captain.


also, it's been a hot topic of changing the awards names like hart to Gretzky, Veznia to Roy...Norris to Orr.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund

orts
CC Veteran
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:53 am

Post by orts » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:22 pm

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote: also, it's been a hot topic of changing the awards names like hart to Gretzky, Veznia to Roy...Norris to Orr.
And the Stanley Cup to the Keenan Award.

God help us.

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8269
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Post by Cornuck » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:49 pm

The day the NHL starts whoring out its history to that extent, is the day I stop watching.
It's was bad enough when the they changed the division and conference names.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

supercanuck
CC Veteran
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:21 pm

Post by supercanuck » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:12 pm

That is the worst name for an award EVER. Even worse than the Lady Byng!!

User avatar
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:04 pm
Contact:

Post by westvandal » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:22 pm

Isn't the Messier award a weekly honour?

Anyways, I hear they are coming up with an assist trophy named gretzky....I don't know where. I hurt today.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.

User avatar
MacNews
CC Veteran
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:18 am
Location: 2010 Vancouver

Post by MacNews » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:51 pm

Maybe he judges leadership qualities by whoever gets him a soda and bag of lays. :lol:

User avatar
jchockey
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:46 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by jchockey » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:45 pm

New NHL Mark Messier award winner to be given shaving cream, razor, and Lay's
Canadian Press Nov 13, 2006 8:45 EST
New York (CP) - Having just established a monthly award for Mark Messier, arguably one of the greatest captains in the history of the NHL, the league decided that players who have had the honour of winning this award cannot go home empty handed.

What makes Mark Messier such a great leader? "It was always the bald head," noted former Oiler Grant Fuhr, who is still battling drug problems. "Everytime he walks in [his head] was so shiny you can't help and look at it and try and fix your hair. It was that noticeable."

As an homage to such a distinct and great leader, award winners are given shaving cream and Schick Extreme razors, so as to have the same great, smooth-looking head a la Andre Agassi and Mark Messier, and are told to shave their heads. Such immediate action, sources are told, are bound to boost the player's leadership qualities by tenfold.

Honouring a previous contract with Lay's, winners of the Mark Messier award will also be given a large bag of Lay's chips. Unfortunately, flavours only come in Regular or BBQ. Limited to one bag per winner.

NHL.com is the official Web site of the National Hockey League. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup, and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. (c) 2006 NHL. All Rights Reserved.

User avatar
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Timmins, Ontario

Post by Linden Is God » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:03 pm

jchockey wrote:New NHL Mark Messier award winner to be given shaving cream, razor, and Lay's
Canadian Press Nov 13, 2006 8:45 EST
New York (CP) - Having just established a monthly award for Mark Messier, arguably one of the greatest captains in the history of the NHL, the league decided that players who have had the honour of winning this award cannot go home empty handed.

What makes Mark Messier such a great leader? "It was always the bald head," noted former Oiler Grant Fuhr, who is still battling drug problems. "Everytime he walks in [his head] was so shiny you can't help and look at it and try and fix your hair. It was that noticeable."

As an homage to such a distinct and great leader, award winners are given shaving cream and Schick Extreme razors, so as to have the same great, smooth-looking head a la Andre Agassi and Mark Messier, and are told to shave their heads. Such immediate action, sources are told, are bound to boost the player's leadership qualities by tenfold.

Honouring a previous contract with Lay's, winners of the Mark Messier award will also be given a large bag of Lay's chips. Unfortunately, flavours only come in Regular or BBQ. Limited to one bag per winner.

NHL.com is the official Web site of the National Hockey League. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup, and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. (c) 2006 NHL. All Rights Reserved.
What they don't get any Cold FX which he is now whoring out.

User avatar
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:51 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON
Contact:

Post by Jyrki21 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:49 pm

:lol:
Image

Post Reply