Lets be honest kids, Luongo is not living up to the hype

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Lets be honest kids, Luongo is not living up to the hype

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

and the 6.75 million dollar a year contract.

He has played so-so..got one shutout ( though that was against a minor like team like Chicago) has yet to steal the Canucks any games ( The refs gave that game to the Canucks against Dallas)

Oh sure you can go on and on about the D, but that doesn't matter with the type of money he is making he has to come through.

It may be early, but if he doesn't pick it up I see another Messier type era coming, except worse because The contract is bigger and longer....and Luongo doesn't have the excuse of being in his very late 30s.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Lets be honest kids, Luongo is not living up to the hype

Post by ClamRussel »

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:It may be early, but if he doesn't pick it up I see another Messier type era coming, except worse because The contract is bigger and longer....and Luongo doesn't have the excuse of being in his very late 30s.
Actually, I'd argue Messier's contract was larger if you consider inflation and the fact contracts were much smaller back then. Messier signed his deal BEFORE contracts exploded. In the day his salary was HUGE, today almost every team has one if not a couple contracts of that size....a few years ago there were several deals that were almost twice as large (Jagr for example was almost twice that.....Guerin, Holik were 50% larger).

Just relax about Luongo, he's more than worth the money. Our defence was the equivilent of an ECHL mishmash tonight.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Amazing how short peoples memories are. While I'll say Luongo has slipped a bit of late he still hasn't let in more than a couple of bad goals. I honestly can't believe how many goals are scored by bouncing off of players this year.

But anyways....he stole the first game of the season, he stole a point against Minnesota, he stole the win against Nashville (remember his saves in the thrid...particularily off Timmonen), and yes he essentially stole the game against Dallas by only giving up one goal (at worst you could say he stole a point) and he damn near stole a point the first Dallas game. In 9 of his 16 starts he has given up 2 or less. He could be better but it's good to remember he is about 1 month into a 4 year deal. Pretty much impossible to say he's worth it or not.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Well said, Tant.

What hype should it be anyways ? That he would stop everything and being the leading scorer all together. :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Good lord JamesOwnsSam11... give me a break.

As Tant has pointed out (and I've mentioned in other threads) Luongo has already stolen points for us and kept us in games we otherwise wouldn't have been in. If Auld or Cloutier had been in net, many of those saves may have been goals and games wouldn't have been as close. Then we'd be in here saying Auld or Cloutier shit the bed and blah blah blah blah.

As has been pointed out before, the problem with this team doesn't lay in goal. It doesn't have anything to do with Luongo. It has to do with the Canucks getting 20 shots against Giguare and none of them going in. It has to do with the Canucks getting 26 shots against Smith and only getting 2 goals. It has to do with the Canucks getting 38 shots on the Avs last week and getting 2 goals.

It simply has to do with the Canucks not getting the puck in the net.

You can sit there and blame Luongo and the defense. You can say that Ohlund isn't an elite defenseman. You can stay Naslund isn't an elite player... but none of it matters a whit because that's not where the problem lies.

The problem lies with players like Morrison, Cook, Bulis, Linden, Burrows, Kesler, Green and all the rest of the guys that have needed to step up and haven't. We can't count on the Sedin's, Pyatt and Naslund to get all the goals for us. The rest of the team has to contribute. And I'd even lay some of the blame on the coaching staff for (seemingly) not concentrating on fixing what's going wrong. Nonis has got to be on the phone this week trying to make a few adjustments with the roster/cap. I have to think that he can now see a trend emerging and hopefully he'll try to do something to stop it.

Another thing that has to stop is this stupid puck cycle. While it can be a useful tool to try and get the opposition D to start running around, it's the only thing the Canucks use. So the opposition D just sits back and waits for our guys to come out of the corner, strip them of the puck and they're on they way back to our zone while we haven't even gotten a shot on net.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I was glad to hear Vigneaults questioning the teams character...

Maybe Nonis still has some purging to do before he rids the team of those whose choice is to mail it in when adversity kicks them ...

Take care...
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Dumbest thread ever

It's people like this that make Vancouver known for being a goalie graveyard. This is coming from a guy who is proud to have a picture of the man who destroyed this franchise for a few years, accepting the Cup that he won against the Canucks.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Kowch wrote: Another thing that has to stop is this stupid puck cycle. While it can be a useful tool to try and get the opposition D to start running around, it's the only thing the Canucks use. So the opposition D just sits back and waits for our guys to come out of the corner, strip them of the puck and they're on they way back to our zone while we haven't even gotten a shot on net.
Unless you are the Sedins and can feather passes through 20 legs you can't be cycling all the time. Even they get caught in the cycle too much but atleast they are good at it and have the vision to spot the guy going to the net and ability to get them the pass. In the games I've watched it has been painful to watch Burrows, Kesler and Cooke try to cycle. Just hopeless. And is Naslund, Morrison and Bulis don't generate something off the rush the shift is wasted. The fourth line I don't much care about...I didn't expect them to score and for them trying to cycle and puck posession is doing their job.

Man oh man do Morrison and Cooke need to wake up. And really so does Nonis. I understand a reluctance to move Morrison without having another deal completed to replace him but he has to do something. 17 games is enough time to realize that the bottom 9 forwards just aren't getting it done...especially when some of them didn't get it done last year either. I think he can be proud of the coach he hired that instituted a good system, the goaltender he has and even the blueline (still needs another guy but it's pretty good). But he can't be proud or happy of those bottom 9 guys.

But then again, I didn't figure it would only take one offseason to clean house...which is why I wanted him to start before last season (I fully expected the team to completely underperform last year).
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Spot on Tant. I have to hope that Vigneualt has realized this and brought it up with the players. They have to get away from the cycle and get back to basics and just get the puck in deep then get shots on the net. And for the love of all things hockey, can they start crashing the net please? It's great to get a shot on net, but if there's nobody there there for the rebound...

*sigh*
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Kowch wrote:Spot on Tant. I have to hope that Vigneualt has realized this and brought it up with the players. They have to get away from the cycle and get back to basics and just get the puck in deep then get shots on the net. And for the love of all things hockey, can they start crashing the net please? It's great to get a shot on net, but if there's nobody there there for the rebound...

*sigh*
When you think about it Vcr don't really have any great shooters, Salo has a good shot but he needs time to get it away and apart from the P/P it's rarely made use of. But apart from that there are no forwards who put fear in to the opposition with their fire power. It's all about quick hands and a tap in. Remember Rolston I mean he did damage to Luongo when he caught him with a shot.
cheers
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Fred wrote:
Kowch wrote:Spot on Tant. I have to hope that Vigneualt has realized this and brought it up with the players. They have to get away from the cycle and get back to basics and just get the puck in deep then get shots on the net. And for the love of all things hockey, can they start crashing the net please? It's great to get a shot on net, but if there's nobody there there for the rebound...

*sigh*
When you think about it Vcr don't really have any great shooters, Salo has a good shot but he needs time to get it away and apart from the P/P it's rarely made use of. But apart from that there are no forwards who put fear in to the opposition with their fire power. It's all about quick hands and a tap in. Remember Rolston I mean he did damage to Luongo when he caught him with a shot.
But it's not about the booming shot... it's about getting a quick shot on the net, force the goalie to make a save and then go for the rebound. We're not even doing that because the guys are too busy playing the cycling game. Vigneault has to get them back to basics (as was proven from having to teach them how to get the puck up and over stacked pads this week) and stop with this fancy-pants crap.

I _wish_ we had Rolston. At least then we'd have someone going to the net.
headspacej
AHL Prospect

Post by headspacej »

Whenever I catch myself thinking that Luongo looks just average out there, and start to feel disproportionately disappointed, I've realized that my (our) expectations of his impact were impossibly high. Seriously, after getting caught up in the pre-season hype, I think I was half expecting to witness magical goaltending superpowers emerging every night.

The reality is that his numbers are good and he regularly makes big saves at key times to keep the team in tight games. He's just not superhuman.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Haha what a joke. This is the same guy that said Nazzy isn't elite anymore. Well "kids," maybe we should bring Mark the Blubbering Mess Messier out of retirement, surely he will save this franchise!

I believe they mentioned it during the game last night, that we've resorted to calling up the Moose's 3rd and 4th ranked D-men because of injuries to their top guys. The "D" last night was probably one of the worst you will see iced in the entire league this season. Patrick Roy, circa '93, could have been in net and we still would have lost 4-0.

It's all really moot how the goaltending was, that first bank-in off Cooke's skate (you're right Tant, it seems like at least once a game there's a puck bouncing in off someone behind Roberto) was the game winner. YOU CAN'T WIN GAMES WHEN YOU SCORE 0 GOALS.

Give it a rest JamesOwnzSam, it's pretty obvious you're trying to stir the pot. Luongo is one of the brightest spots on this franchise...unlike your hero who should be dragged into the downtown east side and stabbed with HIV-infected needles until he apologizes for taking several years of my hockey-watching life that I'll never get back.

Acutally, no, the thought of seeing a classic Messie watershow would just make me sick, and then I'd post something about wanting the 18 minute cry fest back too. Give it a rest, Troll.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Give it a rest JamesOwnzSam, it's pretty obvious you're trying to stir the pot. Luongo is one of the brightest spots on this franchise...unlike your hero who should be dragged into the downtown east side and stabbed with HIV-infected needles until he apologizes for taking several years of my hockey-watching life that I'll never get back.
Let's be honest kids, that was a classic rant from Island Nucklehead.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

This thread topic is worse than our D was last night - and that's saying a lot.

Luongo is the real deal. The defense we had last night would have struggled in an ECHL games and our forwards (can't even call them the offense) have little to no finish.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."