Canucks prospects that you feel never got a fair shot...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Jyrki21 wrote:
rockalt wrote:Last year [Chubarov] scored 10 goals in 47 games i the Russian league. Certainly a better scoring pace than his NHL days but the competition is easier and he very well could be receiving more ice time.
Ah, but the league is much lower-scoring, too. Evgeni Malkin was a highly-touted draft pick after only 12 points in 34 games... even last year, when people were salivating for him in the NHL, he was only point-per-game in Russia.
Wasn't aware of that.

Still, I address the question to everyone here. Do you think this proves that Chubarov has untapped offensive potential that he never got a chance to show because Crawford typecast him as a checking centre? To me that's pretty ridiculous to say. I think if he did we would have seen far more offensive outbursts from him. Crawford used to give him like 15 mins a night.

Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

Lancer wrote: Reid would also get a vote from me, but then he isn't exactly lighting it up in Winnipeg these days.
That is an understatment.
In 7 games with the moose this season he has 0 goals, 1 assist and is a -4. He has seriously regressed after his seasons in Europe. Reid deserves a shot with the big club as much as I do.

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

I agree with all the comments about Chubarov being less than an offensive power. I included him on my list as a player that did not get a fair shot to develop into anything more than a checking center. I never saw him on the power play. He never played with anyone with offensive flair that I can remember.
Did he have 'untapped offensive potential"? ....probably not. Did he get a fair shot to show that he had any offense? Not really. In my mind Crawford used him as a stopper.
Don't get me wrong...I was not expecting him to get 20 goals....I just wish I could have saw him do something to impress me offensively.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Fred wrote:He was picked up as an under size defenceman and that was thought to be that until he grabbed Micheal Peite and pounded him closely followed by Arnott all big players. They then moved him to wing and centre and he took off, only for us to give him away
Scott Walker was another player whom I was a big supporter of....and ya he was a blueliner at the time. He was on the farm the same time Stojanov was and they were both tough and producing well. With Peca our future looked bright in terms of heart, desire & ability. I also remember Walker rearranging Roenick's face badly and Jeremy yapping in the box w/ blood all over his face. Apparently Keenan wasn't the only guy who thought he was "small."

How about Dirk Graham?

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

tantalum wrote:yeesh. Holden (and I'm waiting Druken to be brought up as well). They failed everywhere they went (Vancouver, Carolina and Toronto for both). They simply weren't good enough and/or committed enough to play pro hockey at the NHL level. In Holden's case I agree with Fred in that I think it had a lot to do with his wrist...he got that wrist injury and simply couldn't do what he could do before it. Tough break.
Quinn's actually come out and said they really screwed that one up. What he said was, Holden had made the team as an 18 yr old.....and at the 11th hour they decided they didn't want to rush him & returned him to jr. That was when the injury occured. Still, it doesn't really justify the odd behaviours he was starting to exhibit which lead to his captaincy being stripped. Still, Quinn was basically wondering what could have been had they not second guessed themselves & kept him w/ the big club. No doubt that injury changed everything. Lets hope things work out better for Bourdon and his injury/demotion.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Harold wrote:
Lancer wrote: Reid would also get a vote from me, but then he isn't exactly lighting it up in Winnipeg these days.
That is an understatment.
In 7 games with the moose this season he has 0 goals, 1 assist and is a -4. He has seriously regressed after his seasons in Europe. Reid deserves a shot with the big club as much as I do.
Are you aware Reid is suffuring the effects of a concussion? He doesn't deserve a shot w/ the Canucks right now, granted, but lets see if he can turn things around. He has since scored a goal and in the last game he was the only Moose player to score in the shootout against the Penguins...still he is in Arniel's doghouse and more is expected of him.

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

rockalt wrote: Still, I address the question to everyone here. Do you think this proves that Chubarov has untapped offensive potential that he never got a chance to show because Crawford typecast him as a checking centre?
No, it certainly doesn't prove it – I'd say the untapped potential is truer of Jarkko Ruutu, for example, who always had good hands – but I believe Chubarov was a smart enough player that he would have gotten some chances. I believe that pretty much every NHLer can score if given the right ice time... it's just inefficient to bother with most of them.
ClamRussel wrote:How about Dirk Graham?
I had no idea he was a Canuck pick! Whaddaya know...

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks prospects that you feel never got a fair shot...

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Bill Derlago

Rick Vaive

Brent Ashton
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”

the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

He probably doesn't belong in here since he did get a shot but didn't like being lowballed by BB, but I'll put in a plug for RJ Umberger.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Just how bad was Jason Herter? Only played 1 NHL game and not for the Nux.

Heard his interview on the Team recently and he doesn't have sour grapes but he did say a couple of yrs ago he ran into Quinn at a wedding. After a few pops he brought it up w/ Pat and said "Coach, why didn't I stick in the bigs?" Basically Quinn said it was between him & Slegr and although he was great 75% of a game, Slegr was great in 80% so he got the nod. There's a guy who great things were expected of and, like alot of prospects, never got the free pass some prospects like the Sedins got. Granted it paid off w/ the Twins and wouldn't pan out for everyone but they suffered through some brutal seasons that eventually helped out their development. No doubt a guy like Herter would have panned out as a better player if given that kind of a chance. Perhaps he'd have had a career closer to Daigneault's or someone like that.

If I remember correctly he was the 8th overall pick in '89.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Bill Derlago

Rick Vaive

Brent Ashton

Billy D maybe one of the most gifted players to pul on a uniform. But what was suspected by many was confirmed later in a CBC Special interview, he was and maybe still is an alcholic, some thing like George Best. Plus of course it didn't help when Potvin took his knees out with a brutal hip check, never fully recovered. He went to TO and never flourished there either, same problem the booze. Rick Vaive was his running mate. What should have been a great career, wrecked & man was he tough. I recall as a rookie him taking on Ted Harris... classic. He was charged for beating a guy up coming out of the Coach House on the North Shore

Brent Ashton I think you're right more could have been done for him, but to be fair to the Canucks I think he ended up playing for almost every team in the NHL, from one to the other
cheers

Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

A few that come to mind:

Evgeny "John" Namestnikov defence, played a few games with Canucks 1993 to 1997, including a couple in the playoffs where he showed as a very good open ice hitter, and passer, but didn't stick. Then played a few games with Islanders, and Rangers before jumping to Russia. It seemed no one wanted to take the time to work with this guy who wasn't to bad a player.

Tyson Nash, basically a checker (3rd or 4th line) who just wouldn't quit, but never got a sniff with the Canucks, he went on to play with the Blues and Coyotes. He certainly wasn't a scoring threat but was miserable to play against.

I would also add Scott Walker. I can remembering watching Walker in the preseason where he played as a defence man for the Canucks and thought this kid is not bad. When he was converted to forward he did not look out of place. Highlights of Walkers tenure with the Canucks were when Jeremy Roenik, during a game the Canucks were losing badly, decided he would thump on a smaller rookie who happened to be Walker, bad decision by Roenick who got his a** kicked. Walker and Arnott was another good tilt.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Arbour wrote:A few that come to mind:
I would also add Scott Walker. I can remembering watching Walker in the preseason where he played as a defence man for the Canucks and thought this kid is not bad. When he was converted to forward he did not look out of place. Highlights of Walkers tenure with the Canucks were when Jeremy Roenik, during a game the Canucks were losing badly, decided he would thump on a smaller rookie who happened to be Walker, bad decision by Roenick who got his a** kicked. Walker and Arnott was another good tilt.
Yeah I recall the mistake Roenik made that night , funny he never made mention of that in his retired speech :D although I'm sure it still plays on his mind, much like the night Gary Valk kicked Rob Rays ass, real bad :D

The sad thing about Walker, Keenan waived the guy in favour of his buddy Peter Zezel who never managed to finish the season. Can you imagine we just let Walker go for nothing... waived him :twisted:
cheers

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Justin Kurtz.

Not a Canucks draft pick, but when he got called up he definitely had shades of a young Ohlund. I don't think he was given a fair chance - he toiled in the minors for quite a while putting up some good numbers but just could never find that break.

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Larry Goodenough!

As a 23 yr old d-man he had 14pts in 16 playoff games in 1976 with the Flyers.

The next year Vancouver got him, the year after that he spent half the season in the minors.....