Canucks prospects that you feel never got a fair shot...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Ontario

Canucks prospects that you feel never got a fair shot...

Post by Tukaram »

...to prove themselves with Vancouver?

And to start off I'll mention Cam Neely, just so we can get him out of the way early. ;)

User avatar
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: Yaletown
Contact:

Re: Canucks prospects that you feel never got a fair shot...

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Tukaram wrote:...to prove themselves with Vancouver?

And to start off I'll mention Cam Neely, just so we can get him out of the way early. ;)
I have a few (shows my age on some):

- Murray Bannerman
- Ken Lockett
- Arthur Rutland
- Adrian Aucoin
- Dave Scatchard

I threw in a few (above) for fun.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040

Kowch
CC Veteran
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:11 am

Re: Canucks prospects that you feel never got a fair shot...

Post by Kowch »

DavidPratt_ wrote: - Adrian Aucoin
Um... Adrian Aucoin played 294 game for Vancouver. I would hardly say he was never given a fair shot. On top of which, the organization (as well as the fans) like Aucoin... we just thought that Dan Cloutier was our "goalie of the future" and someone had to go... and the Lightning liked Aucoin.

Otherwise, I surmise he'd still be here.
- Dave Scatchard
Also not really run out of town. We wanted Felix Potvin (and the Islanders 2nd round pick). We got him - for Dave Scatchard, (former "goalie of the future") Kevin Weeks and Bill Muckalt.

User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Canucks prospects that you feel never got a fair shot...

Post by tantalum »

Kowch wrote:
DavidPratt_ wrote: - Adrian Aucoin
Um... Adrian Aucoin played 294 game for Vancouver. I would hardly say he was never given a fair shot. On top of which, the organization (as well as the fans) like Aucoin... we just thought that Dan Cloutier was our "goalie of the future" and someone had to go... and the Lightning liked Aucoin.

Otherwise, I surmise he'd still be here.
- Dave Scatchard
Also not really run out of town. We wanted Felix Potvin (and the Islanders 2nd round pick). We got him - for Dave Scatchard, (former "goalie of the future") Kevin Weeks and Bill Muckalt.
Well the lightening ended up not really liking Aucoin that much as they moved him in the offseason.

On Scatchard. People have funny memories of the guy. I remember a guy who in his first couple of season played hard. Played with passion. Played smart. And the I remember the Scatchard that was playing before he got traded...lazy and uninspired. People think he got into Crow's doghouse for no reason but I watched a few games in person and believe me there was a reason he was in the doghouse a bit. I remember people complaining how he never got icetime the year he was traded but if you looked at the numbers it was simply because he was invisible (If I recall he was getting 15 minute a night). It's funny how the same thing has played out everywhere he's been since. Moments even a season of inspired play and then quickly into the doghouse.

If as you say, he hadn't been moved for what management had hoped would be a starting goaltender for years I think he would have been moved anyways.

I wouldn't say there are many that didn't get a fair shot with the team. Maybe Peca but then again he got the canucks Mogilny.

Kowch
CC Veteran
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:11 am

Re: Canucks prospects that you feel never got a fair shot...

Post by Kowch »

tantalum wrote:
Well the lightening ended up not really liking Aucoin that much as they moved him in the offseason.
But they liked him at the time of the trade ;)
If as you say, he hadn't been moved for what management had hoped would be a starting goaltender for years I think he would have been moved anyways.
I was referring to Aucoin, not Scatchard. I also remember Scatchards rather uninspired play and losing him wasn't that big a deal for me.
I wouldn't say there are many that didn't get a fair shot with the team. Maybe Peca but then again he got the canucks Mogilny.
Again, we got Mogilny because of the skill he brought and to make Bure happy not because Peca wasn't working out.

User avatar
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:51 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON
Contact:

Post by Jyrki21 »

Scott Walker.

He was one of two players whose hands impressed me in the 1997-98 season and who I thought could really score if given the ice time (the other one was a guy called Markus Näslund). The Canucks, of course, hadn't begun their housecleaning yet and didn't have the room for him, so I understand their letting him go, but I always saw his potential.
Image

Hercules_Rockefeller
CC Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:30 am

Post by Hercules_Rockefeller »

When did the Canucks ever have enough decent prospects that one of them didn't get a shot?
Formerly Dangerous Dan.

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Post by Fred »

Jyrki21 wrote:Scott Walker.

He was one of two players whose hands impressed me in the 1997-98 season and who I thought could really score if given the ice time (the other one was a guy called Markus Näslund). The Canucks, of course, hadn't begun their housecleaning yet and didn't have the room for him, so I understand their letting him go, but I always saw his potential.
Scott Walker should be a major embarrasment to the OLD Canukc staff, Kienan waived him in the expansion drft in favour of Zezel who didn't even play the following year, however he did pay us back with the Luongo deal.

Scott Walker last week ended up play first line centre for the Stanley Cup winning team the Canes and we waived him :oops:
cheers

User avatar
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:51 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON
Contact:

Post by Jyrki21 »

Did he actually get waived, or just exposed in the expansion draft? The latter is pretty understandable, given the context. Like I say, I just noticed he had good hands and thought he could be a contributor.
Image

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Post by Fred »

Well I suppse he was exposed in the expansion draft, but it's fundamentally the same in my books, offer him up for nothing in return especally when you think they held on to Peter Zezel who by then couldn't even win a face off, which was supposedly his strong point. Walker was or is one tough charcter players who has developed himself in to a very good player. Thats a case of scouts coming up with a plyers and management not realizing.

He was picked up as an under size defenceman and that was thought to be that until he grabbed Micheal Peite and pounded him closely followed by Arnott all big players. They then moved him to wing and centre and he took off, only for us to give him away
cheers

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2746
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Good topic... I agree with most of the posters here: Aucoin, Scatchard and Walker. All 3 of them were promising and just entering their prime before the Canucks shipped them off. Aucoin and Scatchard were basically in Crow's doghouse, so they were gone. Walker was considered too small by Keenan, so he was left unprotected.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this one: but I'm going to add Josh Holden. I don't think he would of been a 1st liner or anything, but I think he could of been a decent 2nd or 3rd linder if given a chance.

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Post by Fred »

The difference for Holden was he was given the opportunity else where and again failed to produce. I think after his wrist was so badly dameged he was never the same, shame had great showing in junior. The 18 year old draft does tend to produce a pretty high proportition of players like this
cheers

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Post by Fred »

The difference for Holden was he was given the opportunity else where and again failed to produce. I think after his wrist was so badly dameged he was never the same, shame had great showing in junior. The 18 year old draft does tend to produce a pretty high proportition of players like this
cheers

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Post by Fred »

The difference for Holden was he was given the opportunity else where and again failed to produce. I think after his wrist was so badly dameged he was never the same, shame had great showing in junior. The 18 year old draft does tend to produce a pretty high proportition of players like this
cheers

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2746
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks prospects that you feel never got a fair shot...

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hmmm... I kind of remember it differently. I remember Scatchard held out on a contract that year just before he got traded. It was like Crow had something against him after that, kind of saying... "who do u think u are to holdout? u are a young and unproven player... u can't do that. When I was playing... there was no way I'd holdout." I know.. maybe it's just me, reading something that may not have been there. :)

Anyways, I remember right after the Potvin trade, Burke was saying that Scatchard was too good of a player/person to be sitting in the press box, so Burke did him a favour to ship him out. It was like Burke knew Scatchard was in Crow's doghouse, liked the kid, so he did everyone a favour by moving Scatchard. Ironically, Burke later went out to try to get a big-right handed centreman to replace the void formerly held by Scatchard in Dennis Pederson; however, Pederson was too slow and sucked.

Sometimes, I shake my head at Crow's decisions in making an example of the wrong players in his doghouse. I feel our teams got short changed in some of our playoff runs because if we had guys like Aucoin, Weekes, Scatchard in our roster to go up against the Detroits, Colorodos, Calgarys and Minnesotas... we may have had a different fate. Instead we had stiff like Cloutier who couldn't handle the playoff pressure. That's just me.


[/quote]
On Scatchard. People have funny memories of the guy. I remember a guy who in his first couple of season played hard. Played with passion. Played smart. And the I remember the Scatchard that was playing before he got traded...lazy and uninspired. People think he got into Crow's doghouse for no reason but I watched a few games in person and believe me there was a reason he was in the doghouse a bit. I remember people complaining how he never got icetime the year he was traded but if you looked at the numbers it was simply because he was invisible (If I recall he was getting 15 minute a night). It's funny how the same thing has played out everywhere he's been since. Moments even a season of inspired play and then quickly into the doghouse.
[/quote]

Post Reply