Mo on the move to Ottawa?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

yammi
CC Veteran

Mo on the move to Ottawa?

Post by yammi »

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere ... don't see this one happening, but could Morrison be a Sen soon?

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_h ... or_senato/
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Do it! Do it! That cash could best be used in some other (any other) capacity.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

I heard of this rumour but we need forwards. If Mo goes who will replace him? The team is thin in centre as it is.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Not sure if Ottawa would let any of them go but I would like to see something like this

To Van: Volchenkov and FIsher or Vermette

To Ott: Mo and Cooke.

What do you guys think?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Linden Is God wrote:Not sure if Ottawa would let any of them go but I would like to see something like this

To Van: Volchenkov and FIsher or Vermette

To Ott: Mo and Cooke.

What do you guys think?
I like this trade. Not sure what OTT fans tink though, i'm thinking they love Fisher. What is their salary cap at?
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

Ottawa's salary is up near the max.
I would expect any deal to get a bit complicated.
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

According to www.hockeyanalysis.com Ottawa's cap hit is $42,815,494

Vermette's cap hit is $1 million for this year and the next

Volchenlov makes $1.3 million this year and his contract is up after this year.

Fisher's cap hit is $1.5 million for this year and the next.

It was wishful thinking on my part, but I really can't see it happening
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
lil-scarface
AHL Prospect

Post by lil-scarface »

this trade would be amazing alfredsson needs a center we need to shore up our blue line, getting vermetter would be a bit off a downgrade from morrison but i could live with it knowing how great of a d core that we have i think it will be

Morrison for volchencov and vermette

i think im trying to convince myself it will happen to sleep better at night
Carlos
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Don't see it happening.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Depends on how bad the Sens' offensive woes continue. The more it continues, the more desperate the Sens get, the better the odds.

That said, I'd hate to see Mo go. He's working hard, but it just isn't paying off the same way. I think he just needs to get out of his funk and find some chemistry with some wingers. The problem with Vigneault is that he's constantly juggling lines and no one line can get any cohesion outside of the Sedins and whoever else.

The one thing which gets me about this whole rumour is that our problem is not keeping goals out but scoring them. Mo has skill and that's one thing we don't have a surplus of these days, so why dump him now? Cooke, I can see, but unless it's a can't-miss proposal I'd say no.

Salo and Mitchell aren't that far from coming back. Edler has done alright so far. It's only one month into the season. I think it's all premature right now.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Nonis would be NUTS not to do this, it would be an upgrade in talent and on a salary dump while also improving the teams age. I think people have to get past the notion of Mo as a skilled forward as its becoming increasingly apparent that hes simply not. Consider how often over the last 5 years the words Morrison and slump have been used in the same sentence. Hes simply clearly a guy who has some moves that suggest more ability then is really there. To bad because hes a nice guy but his contract in many ways may have been his death knell as a canuck..
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

... but how exactly does this address our needs?

(hint: it doesn't)

We don't need another defenceman right now... what we need is more guys that can put the puck in the net. As much as shoring up our defensive corps is attractive, we don't really need that. How is trading away Morrison (who actually has gotten a few points for us) better than (say) trading away Cooke who hasn't done squat yet this year?

The only way I'd pull this trade is it helps me dump salaray AND and I can flip what I get back (if it's Volchenkov) to someone else for a talented forward/prospect that can score. Otherwise, it's just a salary dump for an asset that doesn't really do what we need.

*shrug*
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

While I agree that we need scorers the fact of the matter is that at this point its all about the future. We aren't close to a cup, so we should go with the better players. Mo won't win a cup with this team, Ohlund, Salo, Linden, Mitchell, and most likely naslund simply won't be here when our next good shot comes. So why pretend? accept the fact that we aren't competitive and simply do what it takes to turn the ship as fast as possible.

And this time when we do begin to get close for god sakes don't trade away the future for a shot now, it never works.

As for trading Cooke, well he makes less then half of what Morrison makes, while at least providing what hes supposed to provide which is energy. Cooke gets less ice time, no power-play time (Morrison has 2 goals on the PP), and inferior line-mates (most of the time). While neither of these players is exactly off to a flying start Cooke is most certainly a better bargain at this point then Mo. Not that I would be devastated if we traded Cooke regardless...
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

As I mentioned in another thread...a Volchenkov for Morrison deal I'd do it. For Schubert I don't.

But to do so would mean Nonis has to replace Morrison. Either an expansion of this deal or a different deal using some of the saved cap room.

At this time, the lack of blueline and forward depth is becoming evident. Nonis needs to find a way to make a couple of 2-for-1 deals or a 3-for-2 deal in order to increase the depth.

Perhaps an easy way to look at increasing the depth is to bring up Hansen. Started off well in Manitoba and has teh type of game that it might be beneficial to get him into the NHL sooner rather than later.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Here's the original article: http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/ ... 6-sun.html
Bruce Garrioch wrote:It has become evident in the first month that the Senators need somebody to play with captain Daniel Alfredsson and Morrison would be a good choice.

He's smart with the puck and could get it to the Alfredsson to set up those one-timers.
I call BS since Morrison hasn't been able to setup Naslund with any consistency - how can they expect him to be a good setup man for Alfredsson? :?

Anyway, trading Mo would leave us very weak up the middle and I can't recall of any team going far in the postseason without a strong lineup at center (then again, the Flyers are the postergirls of having lots of good centers and not going anywhere with them so far this year). But I do like the idea of acquiring a Volchenkov and some cap space; I just don't know if Kesler would be up to the challenge of 2nd line time (he's yet to meet the challenge on the 3rd line).