We think we got jobbed by the refs vs Minny??

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

We think we got jobbed by the refs vs Minny??

Post by Lancer »

Try being an Oiler tonight. Mick McGeough (who has screwed the Canucks more times than I can remember) made one of the most retarded calls in NHL history by calling off a goal, saying Horcoff hand-passed the puck back to the point (it was a clean face-off win with his stick that got it back). Even McGeough admitted afterward that he blew the call. Still won't change the score though. Glad the Oil didn't get any points on us in the standings, but geez, you gotta feel for them (for a second... :lol: )

I don't know if the refs got a prescription of stupid pills this week, but between Minnesota and Edmonton, the zebras have been tripping over their dicks lately. Between the kick-in that wasn't and the hand-pass that wasn't, the zebras should get a tongue-lashing over this one. You never know, they may well get it this time.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Hold on there.

McGeough made a very bad call, but Turco said he heard the whistle and let up before the shot was taken. In the replay you also see McGeough waving his arms (in chicken style) while the shot is being taken.

McGeough took away a scoring opportunity, but he did not take away a goal. We do not know if the shot goes in if Turco doesn't hear the whistle.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

And I might also add the refs called off the Minnesota goal. That was the call you wanted and they gave it to you.

It was the head office that changed the call and hung their guys out to dry.

How did the refs "trip over their dicks" on that one?
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Larry Goodenough wrote:And I might also add the refs called off the Minnesota goal. That was the call you wanted and they gave it to you.

I understand that the goal judge in Minnesota also called it a goal, hence the need for video review (since it contradicted the on-ice official's call)... Nevertheless, I think it only harms the credibility of the on-ice officials and opens them up to endless questioning when a guy sitting in a 3x3 plaxiglass box behind the net can overrule their calls on the ice... :mad:
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:And I might also add the refs called off the Minnesota goal. That was the call you wanted and they gave it to you.

I understand that the goal judge in Minnesota also called it a goal, hence the need for video review (since it contradicted the on-ice official's call)... Nevertheless, I think it only harms the credibility of the on-ice officials and opens them up to endless questioning when a guy sitting in a 3x3 plaxiglass box behind the net can overrule their calls on the ice... :mad:
I think the goal judge simply indicates if the puck went in the net or not. They have no say in how it went in. Do you mean the in house replay official?
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Re: We think we got jobbed by the refs vs Minny??

Post by Bartman »

Lancer wrote:Try being an Oiler tonight. Mick McGeough (who has screwed the Canucks more times than I can remember) made one of the most retarded calls in NHL history by calling off a goal, saying Horcoff hand-passed the puck back to the point (it was a clean face-off win with his stick that got it back). Even McGeough admitted afterward that he blew the call. Still won't change the score though. Glad the Oil didn't get any points on us in the standings, but geez, you gotta feel for them (for a second... :lol: )

I don't know if the refs got a prescription of stupid pills this week, but between Minnesota and Edmonton, the zebras have been tripping over their dicks lately. Between the kick-in that wasn't and the hand-pass that wasn't, the zebras should get a tongue-lashing over this one. You never know, they may well get it this time.

I would much rather have the ref make a bad call to cost us a goal than have the review judge take one away that should have stood. The game is played a very fast pace and refs will make mistakes. That I can live with. But to have a judge review a play in slow motion and overrule the on-ice official on such a borderline play hurts me more.
R.I.P. Luc.