Lukas Krajicek

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Jovanovski is overpaid, and a defensive liability... sure he can dazzle with big hits and score fancy goals but he just isnt what the Canucks need. They need defense... cuz DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS....
Not that I want to go through proving it again, but this is simply completely untrue. Defense does not win championships and never has.
I guess the price-performance ratio is just too high, imo Jovo would be very welcome in our D if he would demand a reasonable salary...
This is essentially the story, Jovo is better then any of our defenseman and by some distance, I think leaving Vancouver and a team that he had a massive emotional investment in has clearly devastated the guy. There is a reason why many people close to the team thought he should be captain. However hes a 4 million dollar defenseman not a 6.5 million dollar one, hes very good but hes not a top 5.
Pairs and the defensemen that played for years as a tandem is under rated IMO. Lummi and Muryzn was a very good example as was Robitai and Pratt. Ohlund and Sopel were a good tandem to.

It seems like that is no longer a concern but defensive tandem are more important than offensive line combo's IMO
One of the great unspoken truths. Ohlund and Sopel were a great example of that, together they were very effective, apart they have both been at best slightly above average.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

cerios wrote:
Jovanovski is overpaid, and a defensive liability... sure he can dazzle with big hits and score fancy goals but he just isnt what the Canucks need. They need defense... cuz DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS....
Not that I want to go through proving it again, but this is simply completely untrue. Defense does not win championships and never has.
Yeah, but in the NHL there is this persistent belief that if you keep repeating something, it becomes true, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary. e.g. "Expansion watered down the league"; "Dan is our number one guy"; "We're making inroads into the U.S. market", "Mark Messier is the greatest leader in sports," etc. etc.
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Yeah, but in the NHL there is this persistent belief that if you keep repeating something, it becomes true, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary. e.g. "Expansion watered down the league"; "Dan is our number one guy"; "We're making inroads into the U.S. market", "Mark Messier is the greatest leader in sports," etc. etc.
Quit saying what I mean the post after I say them :P
UK Canuck
CC Veteran

Post by UK Canuck »

its pointless having a tight arse defence if you cant score goals- you need a happy medium quite simply.
Canucks Is Life, Everything else is mere Detail.