Taylor Pyatt- good signing?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Postby the Cunning Linguist » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:13 am

After last night's game, there was an interview with Henrik (their line was a combined +9 on the night) ostensibly to congratulate him on scoring two goals on the night, and he said that Pyatt really surprised everyone in camp - he demonstrated great hands and terrific wrist shot. I believe that Viggy had a long chat with Pyatt and his potential role on the team and he's taken that advice to heart (at least so far). And I think Pyatt is really learning to use his size to complement the Sedins; in the games that I've seen Pyatt play alongside the Sedins, he heads straight for the front of the net and lets the Sedins find him. If there's a loose puck, he battles for it and gets it to one of his linemates and then goes to the front of the net. In short, we should see some great production from him as he settles into this role more. :)
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby tantalum » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:52 am

the Cunning Linguist wrote:After last night's game, there was an interview with Henrik (their line was a combined +9 on the night) ostensibly to congratulate him on scoring two goals on the night, and he said that Pyatt really surprised everyone in camp - he demonstrated great hands and terrific wrist shot. I believe that Viggy had a long chat with Pyatt and his potential role on the team and he's taken that advice to heart (at least so far). And I think Pyatt is really learning to use his size to complement the Sedins; in the games that I've seen Pyatt play alongside the Sedins, he heads straight for the front of the net and lets the Sedins find him. If there's a loose puck, he battles for it and gets it to one of his linemates and then goes to the front of the net. In short, we should see some great production from him as he settles into this role more. :)

Its all about effort with the guy. Everyone has known he has the size to succeed in a top 6 role. Everyone knows he has the hands to succeed in a top 6 role. The problem with Pyatt is thus far he hasn't had the work ethic or attitude to succeed in that role. Perhaps getting traded, the right coach and seeing an oppurtunity present itself puts that work ethhic into him.

We also have to remember the guy just turned 25 years of age. He is still young. he can still develop into a better player than what he has histroically shown. This is like Isbister was his final year with the Islanders when he got traded to Edmonton. He had the skills to improve and carve himself out a nice NHl career but did he have the work ethic and drive to do so? The answer was no for Isbister. I hope it's yes for Pyatt.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jyrki21 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:02 am

Yeah, Pyatt has a very nice touch around the net. What he's been scoring aren't garbage goals; including last night, he's often been squeezing the puck into very small amounts of space.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Lancer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:18 am

I think Pyatt and Krajicek are going to be the x-factor additions of this season. Luongo, we know what he brings. Bulis, he may turn out to be the scoring winger he keeps hyping himself to be but whatever. Chouinard, nothing much more expected of him that he hasn't already shown.

I think Pyatt has the tools to become even better than a poor-man's power forward. Even if we get someone in the mould of Eric Daze, minus the work ethic and back problems, for $700K I'll take it. Keep him with the Sedins and just keep telling him to keep doing what he's doing.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby MarkMM » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:21 am

tantalum wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:After last night's game, there was an interview with Henrik (their line was a combined +9 on the night) ostensibly to congratulate him on scoring two goals on the night, and he said that Pyatt really surprised everyone in camp - he demonstrated great hands and terrific wrist shot. I believe that Viggy had a long chat with Pyatt and his potential role on the team and he's taken that advice to heart (at least so far). And I think Pyatt is really learning to use his size to complement the Sedins; in the games that I've seen Pyatt play alongside the Sedins, he heads straight for the front of the net and lets the Sedins find him. If there's a loose puck, he battles for it and gets it to one of his linemates and then goes to the front of the net. In short, we should see some great production from him as he settles into this role more. :)

Its all about effort with the guy. Everyone has known he has the size to succeed in a top 6 role. Everyone knows he has the hands to succeed in a top 6 role. The problem with Pyatt is thus far he hasn't had the work ethic or attitude to succeed in that role. Perhaps getting traded, the right coach and seeing an oppurtunity present itself puts that work ethhic into him.

We also have to remember the guy just turned 25 years of age. He is still young. he can still develop into a better player than what he has histroically shown. This is like Isbister was his final year with the Islanders when he got traded to Edmonton. He had the skills to improve and carve himself out a nice NHl career but did he have the work ethic and drive to do so? The answer was no for Isbister. I hope it's yes for Pyatt.

Before I get flamed for another Bertuzzi comparison, I'm just pointing out that Bertuzzi came here having flashes of potential, but it took a coach and a team willing and needing to give him a chance before he broke out. Whether or not the upside of Pyatt is the same as Bert is not the issue, but I do think we have seen this show before about how to mould a young player.
Mark
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby the Cunning Linguist » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:37 am

Lancer wrote:I think Pyatt and Krajicek are going to be the x-factor additions of this season. Luongo, we know what he brings. Bulis, he may turn out to be the scoring winger he keeps hyping himself to be but whatever. Chouinard, nothing much more expected of him that he hasn't already shown.

I think Chouinard is settling into his fourth line, PK-C role; after getting called out by Viggy, he's been playing much better; I don't think he was ever considered to be higher 4th line C, not with Kesler, Mo and Henrik already taking the top 3 C roles. Bulis has so far been this year's Richard Park, but I'm still optimistic that he'll respond to the doghouse treatment.

I had hoped to see Krajicek and BXA solidify the #4/5 spots and so far they have; it makes the loss of Allen a lot more palatable. Sure we lost a lot of offensive punch when Jovo wasn't signed but so far, the team is finding new ways to win which completely eluded them last year. BXA has also shown a bit of offensive upside which I didn't expect at all. Of course, we probably wouldn't be talking in such glowing terms if our goaltending didn't improve by leaps and bounds, as in leaping tall buildings in a single bound...
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Fred » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:12 am

Carter did the same as Pyatt and by the quarter mark of the season defenses were tking serious notice of Mr Carter, but he kept going. Let's see what Pyatt does after the quarter point of this season
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby tantalum » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:15 am

MarkMM wrote:Before I get flamed for another Bertuzzi comparison, I'm just pointing out that Bertuzzi came here having flashes of potential, but it took a coach and a team willing and needing to give him a chance before he broke out. Whether or not the upside of Pyatt is the same as Bert is not the issue, but I do think we have seen this show before about how to mould a young player.

Certainly don't disagree it's a similar situation. Some guys need that change of scenery to excel. I doubt Pyatt excels to the level of a Bertuzzi (I know you weren't implying it) but he can be an effetive bonafide top 6 forward if he wants to be.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SRsez » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:34 pm

Anson who?

It's now been proven unequivocally: The Sedins made Carter, not the other way around.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Fred » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:41 pm

SRsez wrote:Anson who?

It's now been proven unequivocally: The Sedins made Carter, not the other way around.

Now now, don't try and rewrite history. He had a succesful season here last year regardless
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby SRsez » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:50 pm

Fred wrote:Now now, don't try and rewrite history. He had a succesful season here last year regardless

Not looking to rewrite anything. I knew what constituted reality, but lots of others still drank the kool-aid.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Meerschaum » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:33 pm

I personally thought Anson played very well for us last season. Had he initially come out looking for a two year deal in the $2-2.5 range - I, for one, wouldn't have bellyached at all if Nonis had signed him for that.

But $3 million for three years was, to my mind, perhaps a tad rich for a guy who had his career basically resurrected by the Sedins. Not outlandishly rich, mind you. There are many worse contracts out there. But just a modicum too generous in the cap era.

Obviously, I didn't give the Twins nearly enough credit.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that Anson would only have one goal to his name ten or so games into this season. Yeah, he started slow last season. But the sort of a decline in point production he's experienced is just jaw-dropping.

Similarly, I gotta admit that I'm absolutely, completely, totally, entirely, 100% bloody well stunned, awed, shocked and dumbfounded by Pyatt's production with the Sedins.

I mean, this is 4th liner who's career best was 14 goals. We got him for a fourth rounder, for Pete's sake! And now . . . holy crap . . . he's tied for goals with Markus fricken Naslund. And, Markus has been playing pretty tootin well.

Pyatt could be the best bargain player of the 06/07 season!

Now, I've always been something of a Sedin apologist. I've been saying "give 'em time" for . . . well, longer that I would have liked. But, frankly, even I never really expected that their cycle game would prove to be quite so damned strong. Certainly not during a crazy run of 9 of 11 games on the road where the opposition has the last change and could send out their top defensive pairing against the Twins. Sure, their success is in part because of the new rules, which allows them to be more effective along the boards. But it's mainly because these boys just eat the fricken puck up, in a way that somehow more than compensates for the fact that they ain't the fastest, biggest or hardest shots in the League.

This is beyond pleasantly surprised.

If they keep it up, I'll be damned elated.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Postby Fred » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:08 pm

The best part about the Sedins is DN signed them for 3 years at US$3+ mill and apparently they only need a fire hydrant to compliment that line ie a low cost player and they make him look good.
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby UK Canuck » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:58 pm

the sedins rule they seem to be telepathic in knowing where the other one is goan be on the ice.
Canucks Is Life, Everything else is mere Detail.
UK Canuck
CC Veteran

Postby Hockey_roo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:36 am

What is Pyatt's contract for next year ? Just hoping he is not going to be doing something silly, like Anson did.
Hockey_roo
CC Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat