Why not lock up Salo now?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

yammi
CC Veteran

Why not lock up Salo now?

Post by yammi »

Salo was arguably the best D-man last year and he also seems to have fully recovered from his pectoral muscle tear.

I wonder why Nonis does not try to sign him to a 3-year extension right now rather than at the end of the year when it could be more difficult.

Burkie had a genius for signing players like Jovo, Ohlund, et al. to longer term deals before their stock went through the roof (e.g., he particularly liked to negotiate with players who were on the injured list in order to get a discount).

I think it is clear that Salo is part of the Canucks future top 4 D ... so why not at least begin discussions as soon as possible?

What a beautiful trade this has turned out to be. Schaeffer is a useful player for the Sens but, in retrospect, I think Burke really fleeced Ottawa to get Salo.

By the way, what is with the automatic spell checker today? Is anyone else having problems typing apostrophes when attempting to use contractions? I hope this is not a permanent feature of the site ... yuk!
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Excellent Idea, Salo has become the backbone of our defence really. The only bonifide offensive threat and as good defensively as any of them. Although I do worry about his history of injury...
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I'm sure Nonis wants to lock up Salo ASAP, but I think its easier said then done. He'll want at least as much money Mitchell and Ohlund. Can we really afford another $3.5+ mill defender next year? It would require a further drop of depth to lock him up. I'd love to see Salo in a Canucks uniform next year, but I doubt it will happen. He's probably priced himself out of Vancouver.
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

It's very simple....he'll be gone after the season. Too expensive.....

All we can hope for now is that league revenues go through the roof and the cap goes up another 3-4 million. But judging by the early attendance numbers and the ratings on Vs., we may even see a drop....
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

P.S. This isn't to say I don't love Salo, but offensive statistics are grossly overpaid and he'll command top dollar. Who would YOU rather have: Salo or McCabe? I'd take Salo anyday..... :(
yammi
CC Veteran

Post by yammi »

nuxfanindallas wrote:Who would YOU rather have: Salo or McCabe? I'd take Salo anyday..... :(
Although people outside Vancouver will probably think you're crazy for saying so, I agree 100%.

I would take Salo.

McCabe is also a good player, but comes with a lot of issues (e.g., hard to sign at contract time, questionable attititude, streaky play) whereas Salo may have surpassed McCabe skill-wise and, in my opinion, is miles ahead in terms of intangibles.
yammi
CC Veteran

Post by yammi »

BTW, how are you guys typing apostrophes? Is no one else having problems with the automatic spell checker having a fit when it sees them? Or is it just my computer slipping into a weird configuration this morning?
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

Salo's much better defensively, and at least as good offensively. McCabe may be a little more physical (which, granted, is something the Canucks could use right about now), but Salo's other attributes more than make up for it.

If I was a GM this upcoming summer looking for a top 4 defenceman and PP QB, I'd see Salo as a good buy (UFA-wise) at ~4 million. We simply won't be able to pay that.
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

It could be your computer; I'm using a Macbook.....
kingofrockstars
MVP
MVP

Re: Why not lock up Salo now?

Post by kingofrockstars »

yammi wrote:
Burkie had a genius for signing players like Jovo, Ohlund, et al. to longer term deals before their stock went through the roof (e.g., he particularly liked to negotiate with players who were on the injured list in order to get a discount).
Nonis did all the negotiating. I'm sure he will get it done. He has a good track record.
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

You know, if I have to choose between keeping Jovo or Salo, I will choose Salo hands down. This guy needs to be locked up even if it means making room in the cap. Perhaps trading Cooke and/or even Morrison (who hasn't done much to earn his 3.2 mil). I wouldn't mind bringing up some of the prospects like Hansen to fill their roles.
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

We'd have enough money for Salo (Who deserves 3.5) if Nonis didn't over pay:
  • Chouinard: 1.1 Million on the fourth-line.

Keslter: 1.9 Million on the third-line.

Linden: 600K when he should be retired and doing scouting or something for the Canucks.

Morrison: 3.2 Million when he's worth 2.5, tops.

Cooke: 1.5 Million for second/third line when he's worth 1 in the new NHL.
yammi
CC Veteran

Post by yammi »

The local newspaper guys must be checking our board (Canuck's Corner) for story ideas:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... 29&k=92443

Canucks want Sami back, but have already committed $34.5M next year ... Sami won't sign for a hometown discount but would prefer to stay in Vancouver if possible (sounds a little like what we heard one year ago when Jovo was starting the final season of his Canuck contract).
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

It really depends on a few things:

1) the big factor: what is the cap next year?
2) is Koltsov coming over and if so what is his salary and will he be a replacement?
3) how big of raise is Krajicek going to get.

Now don't jump on me for this but is the following also a possibility:

Signing Salo and shopping Ohlund?
Ilevakam
CC Veteran

Post by Ilevakam »

MacNews wrote:We'd have enough money for Salo (Who deserves 3.5) if Nonis didn't over pay:
  • Chouinard: 1.1 Million on the fourth-line.

Keslter: 1.9 Million on the third-line.

Linden: 600K when he should be retired and doing scouting or something for the Canucks.

Morrison: 3.2 Million when he's worth 2.5, tops.

Cooke: 1.5 Million for second/third line when he's worth 1 in the new NHL.
Personally I would like to see Morrison go if it means covering Salo's salary next year. Morrison hasn't impressed me since the 03/04 season, though I do admire the Iron Man running. He told us that last year he was working with an injury and that this year we would see a lot more of what we liked but he has yet to get that across. And i know we are only 1/8 through but I don't really care.