Why not lock up Salo now?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Victoriafan
CC Rookie

Post by Victoriafan »

Signing Salo and shopping Ohlund?
I wouldn't be adverse to that, necessarily...but if we are moving salary, Cooke and Morrison seem like better options.
Nanaimo_Nuck
CC Rookie

Post by Nanaimo_Nuck »

Just wait... the Canucks will get him for $2.75 million/season
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Victoriafan wrote:
Signing Salo and shopping Ohlund?
I wouldn't be adverse to that, necessarily...but if we are moving salary, Cooke and Morrison seem like better options.
I think they'll be gone as well. In fact I think atleast one will be gone before the season is finished and ht eother shortly into the offseason. But I think Nonis will need to use that $4.7 mil to fill out a second line. I don't see him having too much money left over out of that amount to sign Salo.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

We're just barely a million and a bit under the cap right now, if we signed him to an extension, it would be divided up over the course of the new contract as well as this year, meaning we don't have the room to sign him for anything over a million a season on average, not going to happen. Even if we did dump Cooke and Morrison, our lack of scoring up front is a pressing issue right now, and we'd need to replace at least Morrison and possibly bring in another top six guy with the money freed up, so mathematically it's hard to see how it works.

As good as he is (and I think he's great), with Krajicek's development, the long-term hope of Bourdon supplemented by the likes of Edler and Rahimi, the possibility (probability?) of Koltsov coming over and maybe even the thought of signing a cheaper UFA like Allen next season, we aren't in a pressing need to keep Salo.
Mark
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

My main concern about losing Salo is the hit that the Canucks' offense would take. The power play was like night and day with/out him in the lineup last season. And much in the way Jovo used to, it seems the forwards depend upon him for a lot.

I'm a huge fan of both Öhlund and Salo... I'd hate to lose either, but I'm worried that Salo's durability concerns might make Öhlund more of a keeper. Dunno... I know they've both been hurt a fair bit.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

We don't have the defensive depth to get rid of him without deep thought. Willie Mitchell and Mattias Ohlund do not an NHL defence make. No matter how good Krajicek and Bieksa have been this year they are not bonafide 3/4 guys on championship-calibre teams. If we do trade Morrison and Cooke, or Kesler for that matter in the offseason, Salo should be priority number one. If he walks, then signing a defencmen, or trading the afformentioned forwards, for a defencement of similar talent should be option 2.

I agree with Jyrki21 Ohlund>Salo anyday.