Phaneuf the jack ass

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Phaneuf the jack ass

Post by Linden Is God »

Yes the kid brings alot to the table, but in this young season it seems to me that he's developed an attitude problem. During the Habs game, he was running around causing shit and then last night against the Bruin he did something that should never be done.

There was a scrum in front of the Bruins net, Toivenen lost his helmet. The ref blows the whistle and the puck comes to Phaneuf. The play is clearly dead but Phaneuf shoots the puck near Toivenen's head. Lucky for him, Chara was restrained by the linesmen. After that I lost what little respect I had for him.

It should be interesting to see what Don Cherry says on Coach's Corner this week after going on and on and on about him recently. Will Grapes step up and admit what Dion did was wrong or will he just ignore it?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Yeah, I saw the highlights. The kid is acting like a bitchy little brat and somebody needs to give him a sore spanking. You knew it was coming after what happened between him and Ruutu last season (F*ckin hilarious) that he would think he's the big pit bull that is going to intimidate his way around the ice if he felt like it. This is where a guy like Sergio Momesso would come in handy. Somebody who could contribute on the bottom six and still likely beat the living tar out of a bitch-face like Phaneuf. The kid is in serious need of a humbling, preferrably with a broken nose and missing teeth to go with it. This kid is getting a little big for his breetches, but he's "the franchise defenceman" in Calgary so no one in Calgary will do anything about it.

Then again, you look at Regehr's hit on Downey and it speaks to the cheap-shot, bush-league attitude of the Flamers' defenceman and of the team as a whole. You can't say such behaviour was unexpected. They are a punk-ass team who like to go around acting tough, it's too bad we don't have a line-up to spank their bitchy asses the way they deserve.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Lancer wrote: Then again, you look at Regehr's hit on Downey and it speaks to the cheap-shot, bush-league attitude of the Flamers' defenceman and of the team as a whole. You can't say such behaviour was unexpected.
The Phaneuf after whislte shot is one thing but the Regehr thing is something completely different.

The Regehr hit was clean and a guy who was carrying the puck. Downey himself said if he saw the same thing eh would laid the guy out as well.

The day a player has to calculate how tall he is relative to the opposition (i.e. is he too tall that the shoulder will hit or is he too short that he may get the guy in the chin with his helmet) is the day they might as ban body checking from the NHL. These are professional athletes playing a physical sport that they know that even in a clean incident they can get hurt and their career could be ended. It's the risk they take. Having it happen on a dirty play is entirely different.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Yeah, pretty classless by Pharneuf.

Still, you gotta love how Chara stood up for his teammate, despite his fractured skull and broken leg and all . . .

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54213
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

While I agree that it was a clean hit, but then I think the NHL should consider making rule changes to reduce concussions. I read that they are going to make players use shoulder pads without hard plastic outer shell. I think they should go a bit further and ban any check that was a obvious attempt to make direct contact with a players head with a raised arm or shoulder.
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Actually the Downey hit was not clean, I said it before and it still holds true. There is no exception in the rulebook that says you can hit a guy in the head with an elbow just because its by your side. He CLEARLY struck first with his elbow and followed through to the extent that his elbow hit the boards at nearly 90 degrees after. But what do you expect from a team with Iginla as their leader.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

I watched the video again and I still didn't see what you described. When first contact was made, if you pause at around 0:00:06 to 0:00:07 of the video, you should see that it was Regehr's shoulder/upper arm on Downey's head. Yes, he elbow was raised after the two separated, but watching the video I could not find a frame where the elbow contacted the head or even the body after it was raised
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

I don't know how you could come to that conclusion, the only video I could find wasn't nearly clear enough to say what part he hit with. Although from examining the aftermath of his mechanics its pretty clearly he lead with a rising elbow. If there is a better video I would love to see it, but I don't think its realistically possible for it not to have been an elbow and for Regehr to have wound up in that position.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

That's just jumping to a conclusion if you could not find a video to see which part of Regehr's body contacted Downey's head. A video does not have to be very clear for you to see where the two bodies made first contact, and I used the link found in another thread in this forum for the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwyqveE_fIM

Players usually raise their arms during and after a big body checks to push off their opponents to maintain balance, I see no difference in that hit. By the way, I am a Canucks fan and I don't even like the Flames.
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Ya thats the video I saw, I still believe that he made contact with a rising elbow. And as I said I could see how you could say otherwise, but there isn't an angle from which you can see what made first contact. And simply based on body mechanics I think it was a rising elbow.

I am not saying your a flames fan, and even if you were I could care less, you made your case intellegently so I really do see how it would be an issue.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I don't know, it looked like a clean hit to me, but it's pretty inconclusive...that said, innocent until proven, right? And since it seems the thing to do, I'm definitely a Flamer hater, not quite the level of hatred for Toronto, but yeah...
Mark
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

IMO it's a clean hit within the rules. BUT there were some dirty aspects to it.

1. Regehr came from a distance, almost a charge to make the hit.

2. A Flames player was skating along Downie down the ice and 'stepped back' when he saw Regehr thus bliding Downie.

All in the comfines of the rule book, but still kinda cheap.

And how did a thread about Phaneuf turn into a thread about Downie and Regehr?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hold up.... you mean to say that if a guy streaks full steam across the ice making a bee-line to another player and hits him in the head with his elbow-uppper arm-and-then-shoulder that it's a clean hit????

This is not like Scott Stevens swerving from the face off circle into Eric Lindros' head. This is someone deliberately CHARGING across the ice putting upper-arm-elbow-shoulder to head. To say he didn't intend to put Downey's cranium into next week and send him to the hospital is indefensible. Whether it was within the confines of the rules or not depends on who you cheer for.

However you look at the video, The Flamers are a cheap shot team that just acts tough.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Lancer wrote:Hold up.... you mean to say that if a guy streaks full steam across the ice making a bee-line to another player and hits him in the head with his elbow-uppper arm-and-then-shoulder that it's a clean hit?.
It's not, but Regehr didn't hit his head with elbow. The point of contact with his head was upper arm lowest, most like shoulder.

I think you can make an argument for charging though, but elbowing is a stretch.

As I said, I want to see concussions down, but a guy with head down getting hit by a shoulder is legal as of now, not considering the charging aspect (that he made a few strides before the hit).
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Kel wrote:
Lancer wrote:Hold up.... you mean to say that if a guy streaks full steam across the ice making a bee-line to another player and hits him in the head with his elbow-uppper arm-and-then-shoulder that it's a clean hit?.
It's not, but Regehr didn't hit his head with elbow. The point of contact with his head was upper arm lowest, most like shoulder.

I think you can make an argument for charging though, but elbowing is a stretch.

As I said, I want to see concussions down, but a guy with head down getting hit by a shoulder is legal as of now, not considering the charging aspect (that he made a few strides before the hit).
Agreed, charging might stick, but I didn't see an elbow, the commentators didn't call an elbow, and if it's true that Downey said it was a clean hit as Tant said, well, that speaks the loudest.
Mark