We need Salo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

gobi
MVP
MVP

We need Salo

Post by gobi »

I know it's early in the year but I am already thinking of next year when we may lose Salo. Some of you have already said we can't keep him due to the salary cap but the more I see, the more I think the Canucks need to keep him. If there isn't room then make room. He has been our best D (to me, better than Ohlund) and scoring half of our total offense so far. Not to mention that Bourdon doesn't look ready.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Possibly, I wouldn't rule it out, but a lot can happen in a year, and an off-season. Krajicek is pretty solid and is improving, both he and Bieksa MIGHT prove to be top-four material by next year, Bourdon might've gotten the kinks out of his system, and with Koltsov possibly coming over, we might be okay for offense and be looking for another Mitchell-type player. Allen will be a UFA, and he might come for about what we're paying Salo now, so that's a possibility...

But yeah, it's early, but Salo might be making a case as one of the most underpaid defenseman in the league.
Mark
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

depends on many things.

-how the cnaucks do with limited offence this year
-how Bieksa, Krajicek and others develop on the blueline
-if Koltsov comes over and can play in the NHL (he's one of hte best in the RSL so he should be able to play)

but most importantly...what is the cap? I certainly wouldn't be against giving whatever the cap increase is to Salo along with the money from a decreased Kesler contract. I think it is quite conceivable the canucks will be able to sign Salo.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

I agree that it is possible, though it would probably entail losing a forward. But considering how much of the Canucks' offense stems from this guy, decreasing forward depth may not be a horrible thing. When the Canucks were a "one-line team" with the WCE, the truth was that they were a multi-line team thanks to the defense. It can't be underestimated.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Jyrki21 wrote:I agree that it is possible, though it would probably entail losing a forward. But considering how much of the Canucks' offense stems from this guy, decreasing forward depth may not be a horrible thing. When the Canucks were a "one-line team" with the WCE, the truth was that they were a multi-line team thanks to the defense. It can't be underestimated.
Under a cap system it is always about choices...unless you have a plethora of young talent because of great drafting. The canucks don't have that talent in the system so they have had to make a choice on where to concentrate the resoruces and Nonis likes to preach "from the net out". If that's the case: Salo, Ohlund, Mitchell is a nice core to build around for a few years. Add in Krajicek and Bieksa and it looks very good. The only way they can afford to lose Salo (or not have to replace him with a similar player at similar price) is if Krajicek really steps up offensively by seasons end or if management feels Koltsov can come in and fill the hole.

Speaking of Bieksa...you have to give this guy a pat on the back. he must have worked on his balance/strength in the offseason. He isn't getting outmuscled anymore and actually looks like a 20 minute a night D-man. Good for him. It appears he has made some great strides since last season. Perhaps the biggest factor is a coach that has an actual bonafide defensive system.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

As has been mentioned, there are a lot of variables that need to be clarified before we know how expendable Salo is. I really like what he brings to the team but I don't think we will be able to keep him after this season. I really doubt the cap will be increasing much, if at all, and Salo is radically underpaid. He's no spring chicken and his durability has always been a question. See how the season plays out for awhile and how guys like Bieksa, Krajicek, Bourdon and Koltsov project for next year. As a deadline deal Salo could go a long way to "restocking the cupboard"
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

I'd rather have Flaherty than Salo.

;)