Why is Trevor Linden not playing on the second line?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Postby krutov » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:32 pm

IMO I think Trevor has not been very good at all. I don't mean to say that he has sucked or anything but his stick speed/hand speed is as slow as the Twins skating in their rookie season. All that I see when Trev is on the ice is a whole lot of the gos old Trevor hustle but not much else. He hardly gets any shots on net anymore because he either gets checked or the shot is blocked beause it takes so long to get it off .

I say we leave Trev as is so he is fresh for the PK. I think that it is his last remaining positive that he brings to us. Having said that we have one of the worst pk's in the league with one of the best goalies between the pipes.

If Trev gets a tryout on one of the first two lines it will only come after a prolonged losing streak.
krutov
AHL Prospect

Postby Linden Is God » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:37 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Nah... He sucks. He's good on the 4th line.

BLASPHEMY!! You should be banned!!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Harold » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:30 pm

The last time Trevor Linden scored over 20 goals in a season? Over 10 years ago. He's not a scorer anymore guys; 3rd line at best.
Harold
CC Veteran

Postby MarkMM » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:17 pm

Harold wrote:The last time Trevor Linden scored over 20 goals in a season? Over 10 years ago. He's not a scorer anymore guys; 3rd line at best.

Last time he was put in a scoring role consistently? Probably about 10 years ago, I do agree, that he probably is more of a third-liner, but for now, I don't see the harm in trying him out, regardless of his stats, his assets MIGHT be appropriate to what we need.
Mark
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby randymeeks » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:22 pm

What in the world was Linden doing out there late in the game with only a couple of minutes left in a tie game? He isn't great at a puck control game. He can win face-offs still. But his days as a top six forward are long gone.

Get over the love affair with Linden, fellow Canuck fans. His best days are long behind him.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Canuck2 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:37 pm

If Linden was placed on the second line and sucked, all the Linden-Lovers would be wondering why he's not given a chance on the first line. He is 36 yrs old and has been playing in the NHL almost half his life. Just let it go already.
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Postby MarkMM » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:41 am

randymeeks wrote:What in the world was Linden doing out there late in the game with only a couple of minutes left in a tie game? He isn't great at a puck control game. He can win face-offs still. But his days as a top six forward are long gone.

Get over the love affair with Linden, fellow Canuck fans. His best days are long behind him.

For the record, I think he's probably best suited to third/fourth-line time, but in the same way people shouldn't put him in a scoring position because he's Trevor Linden, neither should you dismiss the possibility. The litmus test should be how he's playing, and Vigneault said he'd reward people based on their performance. Perhaps AV felt that Linden was one of the more effective players out there today and he went with that, I wouldn't argue that call, Linden did seem to be one of the more noticeable players tonight
Mark
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby DavidPratt_ » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:54 pm

MarkMM wrote:For the record, I think he's probably best suited to third/fourth-line time, but in the same way people shouldn't put him in a scoring position because he's Trevor Linden, neither should you dismiss the possibility. The litmus test should be how he's playing, and Vigneault said he'd reward people based on their performance. Perhaps AV felt that Linden was one of the more effective players out there today and he went with that, I wouldn't argue that call, Linden did seem to be one of the more noticeable players tonight

All I am suggesting to everyone who has replied to my post is that Trevor looks a bit different this year. The NHLPA drama is behind him (sort of). He came to camp focused and he has been more noticeable out there. I'm hoping that Alain Vigneault has not stereotyped Trevor as a symbolic figure and veteran on this team as opposed to a guy who can contribute if given an opportunity.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Postby Soapy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:56 pm

Have you seen him hit/forecheck every shift - YES - the kid looks fast
Have you seen him check like crazy in the neutral zone - YES
Has he won a lot of face offs even thogh he is not listed as a center -YES
If he was a free agent pick up would we all be saying what a great utility guy he is and doesn't he deserve more ice time - YES
Has he played himself into a role......
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Postby Harold » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:15 pm

MarkMM wrote:
Harold wrote:The last time Trevor Linden scored over 20 goals in a season? Over 10 years ago. He's not a scorer anymore guys; 3rd line at best.

Last time he was put in a scoring role consistently? Probably about 10 years ago, I do agree, that he probably is more of a third-liner, but for now, I don't see the harm in trying him out, regardless of his stats, his assets MIGHT be appropriate to what we need.

In the last 10 years he was given every opportunity in Montreal, Washington and even Vancouver when he was reaquired, but it is readily apparent that Linden just doesn't have the ability to score anymore. It is the same reason that we aren't playing Chouinard, Santala, Burrows, or any of the other bottom-line grunts on our scoring lines; they just don't have what it takes to be there.
Harold
CC Veteran

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:17 pm

I am not sure if he is up to it or not on a regular basis but Alain V seems like he's started every player off on equal footing. I have a feeling that he'll get his chance on that line. We'll see, and I think it wont take too long.

Man, the team sure looks different though eh?
Robert
MVP
MVP

Postby ClamRussel » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:42 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:Putting Linden on the 2nd line might work for a game or two, but I don't think he can handle second line minutes for a whole season, he's at the stage where his carreer is winding down and he needs the 3rd/4th line minutes.

This is *exactly* the type of thinking that is keeping Linden OFF the 2nd line. Its closed mindedness. If this type of logic was used last year in Carolina, Brind'Amour would never have emerged like he did. Now I'm not saying Linden is going to bounce back into a Conn Smythe candidate...but surely he can have BETTER season if given a CHANCE. If you don't believe me, look at Brind'Amour's numbers the past few years...all indications were it was over & he was overpaid. 56, 55, 37, 38 and then 70 out of the blue! Who could have predicted he was any more than a 35 pt player at that stage of his career.....my point is never write a guy off when he looks rejuvinated like TL does right now. What gets me is Vaigneault said he was wiping the slate clean and not coming in w/ preconceived perceptions....apparently not the case. If Kesler doesn't work out then Linden better get a shot, it only makes sense. Linden's skating looks great, the passing is solid, he's BIG and has very good positioning & hockey sense....he will never hurt the team defensively. Sometimes these over the hill types have a way of bouncing back in a surprising way.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby Harold » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:18 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Putting Linden on the 2nd line might work for a game or two, but I don't think he can handle second line minutes for a whole season, he's at the stage where his carreer is winding down and he needs the 3rd/4th line minutes.

This is *exactly* the type of thinking that is keeping Linden OFF the 2nd line. Its closed mindedness. If this type of logic was used last year in Carolina, Brind'Amour would never have emerged like he did. Now I'm not saying Linden is going to bounce back into a Conn Smythe candidate...but surely he can have BETTER season if given a CHANCE. If you don't believe me, look at Brind'Amour's numbers the past few years...all indications were it was over & he was overpaid. 56, 55, 37, 38 and then 70 out of the blue! Who could have predicted he was any more than a 35 pt player at that stage of his career.....my point is never write a guy off when he looks rejuvinated like TL does right now. What gets me is Vaigneault said he was wiping the slate clean and not coming in w/ preconceived perceptions....apparently not the case. If Kesler doesn't work out then Linden better get a shot, it only makes sense. Linden's skating looks great, the passing is solid, he's BIG and has very good positioning & hockey sense....he will never hurt the team defensively. Sometimes these over the hill types have a way of bouncing back in a surprising way.

I think a lot of Brind'Amour's defying age has to do with his incredible conditioning. He is one of the best conditioned athletes in hockey. Did you see the guy last summer holding the Cup in the kootenays with his shirt off? He looks like a pro-bodybuilder; they don't call him Rod "the bod" for nothing. He is the exception for older players, not the rule.
As for Linden he just looks old to me. He gave up the puck twice tonight, and he really hasn't done anything to impress, or justify time on the 2nd line. I really don't see what Linden is doing on the ice that can't be done by a Rypien, Bouck or any other similar guy on the Moose making the league minimum.
He is one of my Canuck heroes, but I definitely think Trev is done.
Harold
CC Veteran

Postby Bill Laforge » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:54 am

As much s the media and fans love the Trev to be realistic he is fighting for ice time on the 4th line. He has not played very well this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he sits out a game soon. I know the media like to keep on trev's good side, if you want to work in this town long term you don't want to do anything but shower him with praise and thinking he is 2nd line material is just not realistic. This is the only team that would even sign him and I hope he starts to play better soon.
Bill Laforge
CC Rookie

Postby jchockey » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:33 am

The whole argument about putting Linden on the second line is not whether or not he can score goals (which he cannot, unfortunately), but whether or not he can create room and scoring oppurtunities. Granted, his hands are not what they were used to be and everyone knows his skating is below average, but who knows what could happen. If he can use his size and stand in front of the net every so often, why not?

Is there a downside to putting Linden on the second line once in a while? I don't think there is.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat