Reid Sent Down to the Moose

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

why are we still talking about reid?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

tantalum wrote:why are we still talking about reid?
It's a Clamster strategy ( he's Reids agent as you know :P ) His next move is trying to get DN to trade for Steve Kariya, I'm expecting a Clam Slam any moment

Smile Clam
cheers
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Hank, a business contact from the East Coast suggested I keep an eye on Reid shortly after he was drafted...

I became a fan of his after watching him at his first training camp...

A friend whose son has played against both Reid and Gionta in the AHL considers Reid to be the better player....

You can discount his AHL numbers or ignore his NHL numbers, but to do that and then make a blanket statement that he is unable to finish confuses me...

Take care...
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Sometimes these players are just a small step away from not only making the NHL, but making an impact when they get there. There's no guarantee that he will take that next step, improve his ability to finish at the NHL level, but I do think it's possible and he's a valuable asset we should work hard to make the most of.
Mark
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

If Morrison get injured or traded is Reids best chance to carve a niche in the game, or another team that needs a #2 centre on an offensive line
cheers
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

If Morrison get injured
..... he will play through the injury, dragging the team down, just like he does every time.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
If Morrison get injured
..... he will play through the injury, dragging the team down, just like he does every time.
Then it doesn't look good for Reid :roll:
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Fred wrote:
tantalum wrote:why are we still talking about reid?
It's a Clamster strategy ( he's Reids agent as you know :P ) His next move is trying to get DN to trade for Steve Kariya, I'm expecting a Clam Slam any moment

Smile Clam
No "Slam" for you!

next person...
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Harold wrote: Santala, however like Reid, based on his limited experience does have to earn his spot. And he isn't yet a shoe-in yet for a spot on the opening-day roster either, but I've seen more from him so far than I have Reid. Santala is a bigger bodied two-way player on the bottom lines, and is good in the face-off circle, something that we were lacking last year. I would say his offensive potential is similar to that of Reid's, so just that fact that he brings the other intangibles that Reid doesn't probably gave him the extra look.
What are you basing Santala's offensive potential even being close to Reid's? From the way I see it, Santala has yet to put up any sort of enticing offensive numbers...nothing that indicates he has much to offer offensively.

Btw, I wasn't suggesting Chouinard was going to be demoted...we all knew he wouldn't. The point was simply Reid totally outplayed him....AND Santala yet was still demoted. Contracts aside, Reid w/o a doubt should have MADE the 23 man roster based on his camp...but then there's the financial reality.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hank wrote:Anyone who can argue Reid over Chouinard as an NHLer needs a dose of reality.
Lets see how he fares.....he sucked bad in the last 3/5ths of the season last year....and so far has shown nothing. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but Reid does have one thing in spades Chouinard has none of and thats speed. The kid can skate like the wind and that shouldn't be underestimated in the "new" NHL. There's a very good chance that Minny's trapping system made players like Chouinard look much better than they really are...and when they move on to other teams they are exposed. We'll find out in 7-10 days.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

MarkMM wrote:Santala is in the same mold as Chouinard, although he had to earn his spot on the team, he was brought in to provide toughness, size and face-off ability, from what I've heard, he's done his part on face-off ability and size and toughness are his game.

So while Reid may have stood out more offensively, he did not do his job as well as perhaps Santala and Chouinard had to, they're value is less visible but is there nonetheless. Reid had to provide enough offense, including finishing ability, to outweigh the size, face-off ability and checking that Chouinard and Santala provide, and that's where I think Reid has failed the test, though I do hope we continue to develop him, the raw ability IMO is there.
From all reports I've heard, Santala did NOTHING this camp....his play was lethargic and uninspired.....he hardly played "tough." Hardly inspirational and far from a Selke candidate. Having BOTH him & Chouinard on the team is a tad redundant.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

ClamRussel wrote:
MarkMM wrote:Santala is in the same mold as Chouinard, although he had to earn his spot on the team, he was brought in to provide toughness, size and face-off ability, from what I've heard, he's done his part on face-off ability and size and toughness are his game.

So while Reid may have stood out more offensively, he did not do his job as well as perhaps Santala and Chouinard had to, they're value is less visible but is there nonetheless. Reid had to provide enough offense, including finishing ability, to outweigh the size, face-off ability and checking that Chouinard and Santala provide, and that's where I think Reid has failed the test, though I do hope we continue to develop him, the raw ability IMO is there.
From all reports I've heard, Santala did NOTHING this camp....his play was lethargic and uninspired.....he hardly played "tough." Hardly inspirational and far from a Selke candidate. Having BOTH him & Chouinard on the team is a tad redundant.
I believe there was a game where Santala was above 80% in the face-off circle, no one is arguing that he is a Selke candidate, just that he is responsible defensively, which is what I've heard about him.
Mark
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

ClamRussel wrote:

C'mon Clam, you and I have been around long enough to know that if we are going to play Arm Chair GM, we should reserve ourselves from making those kinds of conclusions when we are still in the hearing stages of evaluation.

Let me know what you think when you use one of your other 4 remaining senses...Preferably sight. ;)
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

WCE wrote:Let me know what you think when you use one of your other 4 remaining senses...Preferably sight. ;)
Personally, I don't think anyone can judge Tommi Santala without tasting him first.