View on the Game

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

View on the Game

Post by DonCherry4PM »

So I attended the 'nucks game tonight and was pleasantly surprised with how well the mostly 3rd & 4th string/rookie roster played against an Edmonton team comprised of regulars (for the most part). Here is my take on the game:

Sparkles in the Pan:

Burrows really caught my eye tonight. Thought he played really well - showed a lot of determination and good work ethic. Fast and seemed to be playing very well positionally. Feisty - got under the skin of the Oil. At one point had three Oil all gunning for him resulting in a an unsportsmanshiplike penalty to both him and Ryan Smith (not a bad guy to get off the ice). AV lined him up with Kelser and Hansen for probably half of the game and the line seemed to mesh very well - by far the most threatening line for the nucks. 3 of the 4 goals (also four assists) were scored by this line for a total of 7 points. Not too shabby.

Also thought Coulombe played well. Seemed to be a bit shaky out there initially but settled down and made some really good plays including a goal and assist. Had some good speed and it was obvoious he was putting in a good effort.

Reid also had his moments - used that amazing foot speed to get a breakaway - didn't score but at least got his shot off - so that seems to be an improvement. Always dangerous when on the ice but was definitely eclipsed by the Burrows/Kesler/Hansen line.

Grabner did show some good foot speed and made some good plays but in my opinion definitely not ready for the big league. Think he will develop into quite the player though.

Bouck, also played well. Not as noticeable but thought overall he did have a relatively good game.

Ohlund was noticably solid accompanying a very young defensive group. But I have come to expect that from Ohlund every night so no surprise there.

Other:

Edler, in my eyes, stood out as making some, at best, marginal plays. Thought he should have been able to keep the puck in the offensive zone a couple times but either lack of effort or hand-eye coordination or foot speed prevented him from so doing.

Wasn't very impressed with Tremblay's play either. Don't really have a justifying example that I can remember but just wasn't very impressed with his play.

Pyatt is a really big guy but didn't seem to play very big - not bad - just didn't really think he used his size like he could have.

Chouinard and Santala in my opinion were virtually invisible.

Anyway, that is pretty much my take on the night.

Highlight:

Definitely the Burrows/Kesler/Hansen line.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Ilevakam
CC Veteran

Re: View on the Game

Post by Ilevakam »

Pyatt is a really big guy but didn't seem to play very big - not bad - just didn't really think he used his size like he could have.

I went to see the Ducks game and Pyatt used his size well, so i am surprised to hear you say that, he threw a couple good hits and a few ducks knocked themselves down trying to hit him. Hopefully we see more of what I saw then what you saw.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Santala won 8/10 faceoffs, but other than that I don't see any use for him.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I'm surprised Coulombe played 25 minutes. I know there weren't many vets in the line up and the ice time had to go somewhere, but I'm still impressed he got 25 minutes. This guy seems like he may be a keeper. If not for the big club this year, then for the Moose. Is he signed yet or is he on a try out?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

"Obviously, the fifth one was one I'd like to have back"

- Wade Flaherty

Sounds like an epitaph to me.

The back-up position was Flaherty's to lose - and he lost it last night. Yeah, AV's saying Flaherty was pulled last night "out of respect". But, that's pure cock-and-bull.

This was the guy's big audition. A full pre-season game. The kids limited the Oil to four shots in the first period . . . what more could Wade ask for? He got his look. Five goals allowed was disastrous. Expect Nonis to pick up Tellqvist or LaBarbera off the wire.

On the other hand, I wouldn't feel too good about my squad if I'm an Oilers fan. Sure, Edmonton took their foot off the accellerator after the fifth goal - but to allow an undermanned squad of AHLers to score four goals doesn't exactly suggest that their defence is airtight.

There are some Interesting quotes from AV in today's Vancouver Sun that are worth a read (not available yet online).

It seems that Kessler and Burroughs are now firmly pencilled in on the third line. (I had kinda hoped to see Kes with the Twins, but if he's gonna play like he did last night with Burrows - hell, keep them together for the first few games.)

Chouinard is firmly in the doghouse.

And kudos were again directed to Coulombe. The latter has clearly made the Moose. But could he beat out Bourdon and wind up as our No. 7? If the kid only had a few more pounds on him, I think he might conceivably have a shot.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I'd be open to signing Coulombe to a two-way deal and having him as the next call-up over Tremblay if we're looking for an offensive guy, we still should add a depth defensive guy to the Moose, IMO. I see Fitzpatrick as the no. 7.

Yeah, at the least, I'd like us to pick up another goaltender that's a bit more ready for NHL action than McIntyre, even if he's still for the Moose. Ellis is not ready, McIntyre didn't keep up with Flaherty and Wade is looking like he's an elite AHL'er, not a bad thing, he would be good to bring along our young guys. For those who say that who our back-up is doesn't matter, keep in mind that whether or not we make the playoffs may come down to the 10-15 games our back-up plays, and more than that, Luongo on an interview recently said that he wants to play less this year as he wasn't sure how much his body will hold up if he has to play throughout a long playoff run (that's a good comment, IMO!). Look for Nonis to go after someone on waivers, otherwise we might trade Chouinard in a salary dump to pick up a back-up? Replace him with Santala on the fourth, maybe Rypien. Actually, I'm not giving up on Chouinard yet, but I do expect to see one of our one-ways traded as we're a bit overloaded with those, might as well try to bring in a back-up in return.
Mark
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

MarkMM wrote: Look for Nonis to go after someone on waivers, otherwise we might trade Chouinard in a salary dump to pick up a back-up? Replace him with Santala on the fourth, maybe Rypien. Actually, I'm not giving up on Chouinard yet, but I do expect to see one of our one-ways traded as we're a bit overloaded with those, might as well try to bring in a back-up in return.
Santala went 83% in the face-off circle last night. Not too shabby.

He may be the keeper for centering the fourth line.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I think this was the article Meerschaum was referring to:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 8ead72dc0e

Definitely an interesting article.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu