A CLOSER LOOK AT THE ROSTER

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

A CLOSER LOOK AT THE ROSTER

Postby dal » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:03 am

It seems that AV wants three lines that can scores to some degree. This is how i would put the lines together.

L. Wing / Center / R. Wing

Pyatt / Morrison / Naslund ( Put Nazzy on off wing, and let Pyatt create space)

D Sedin / H Sedin / Bulis ( You could put any one with the Twins )

Cooke / Kesler / Burrows ( Speed, in your face, and maybe a little offence )

Green / Rypien / Linden ( Solid 4th line w/ Rypien to be hell to play against)


I would trade/waive/send to the minors Chounard ( waste of 1.1 mill )


R. Def / L Def

Bieska / Ohlund ( these two had some chemistry last season)

Salo / Krajiek ( Salo can cover for Krajicek's mistakes)

Mitchell / Bourdon ( who better to teach Bourdon )


Goalies

Luongo / Labarbera ( Labarbera will be on the waiver and Ian Clark ( goalie coach for the Nucks) has worked with Labarbera and likes him alot)


Seems like a solid team What do you think.....
dal
AHL Prospect
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:35 am

Postby tantalum » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:07 am

I personally think people will be eating their words on Chouinard by the end of the year. He will be an pretty important player for the team IMO.

But with that said as much as you want to waive or send Chouinard to the minors or trade him the minute Nonis does that is the precise minute the canucks can no longer sign any free agents. You just don't do that unless the guy specifically asks for a trade (and not because he isn't getting played).
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Postby Fred » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:42 am

Do I understand right, you can't sign a player who does not contribute because all the other future FA will be scared off.

Chouinard was a good junior and had some offensive flair, maybe he needs to get the Lemaire system out of his head, but for US$1.1/ no one can afford to just hold him on the team when maybe better more enthused players are on the farm. For sure DN would loose some respect to
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Postby trevor corey » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:41 pm

Scares me to hear such negativity about Nards, oh well, we'll see.
Why am I the only guy rootin for Flats?
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke
User avatar
trevor corey
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: Kickass Pass B.C.

Postby tuzzi44 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:49 pm

Im with ya trevor... i think its time for wade flaherty to step back into the big show. give our younger goalie prospects a chance to log in some major time with the moose so they can develop as well.
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
User avatar
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:39 pm
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta

Re: A CLOSER LOOK AT THE ROSTER

Postby orts » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:24 pm

dal wrote:D Sedin / H Sedin / Bulis ( You could put any one with the Twins )


Y'know, I wouldn't want to overstate that, but I think I agree with it -- you really could put anyone with the twins. Of course, some people will do better than others...

But their flexibility is just another aspect of their value. They're going to be our best asset over the next few years if they improve; and even if they don't, they'll be pretty impressive.

I agree with Trevor and Tuzzi that we shouldn't write off Chouinard yet. Defensive forwards always get underappreciated (just look at what people have been saying about Linden).
orts
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:53 am

Postby DavidPratt_ » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:57 pm

tantalum wrote:I personally think people will be eating their words on Chouinard by the end of the year. He will be an pretty important player for the team IMO.

But with that said as much as you want to waive or send Chouinard to the minors or trade him the minute Nonis does that is the precise minute the canucks can no longer sign any free agents. You just don't do that unless the guy specifically asks for a trade (and not because he isn't getting played).


Chouinard has not had a great camp or preseason. His last 20 games for Minnesota last season were not good ones either....

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
User avatar
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: Yaletown

Re: A CLOSER LOOK AT THE ROSTER

Postby DavidPratt_ » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:00 pm

dal wrote:Luongo / Labarbera ( Labarbera will be on the waiver and Ian Clark ( goalie coach for the Nucks) has worked with Labarbera and likes him alot)


Seems like a solid team What do you think.....


I like Labarbera too. Would much rather see him as a backup instead of Flaherty. If Luongo were to get injured, I'd feel more confident with Labarbera in goal.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
User avatar
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: Yaletown

Re: A CLOSER LOOK AT THE ROSTER

Postby ClamRussel » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:24 pm

DavidPratt_ wrote:
dal wrote:Luongo / Labarbera ( Labarbera will be on the waiver and Ian Clark ( goalie coach for the Nucks) has worked with Labarbera and likes him alot)


Seems like a solid team What do you think.....


I like Labarbera too. Would much rather see him as a backup instead of Flaherty. If Luongo were to get injured, I'd feel more confident with Labarbera in goal.

dp


Why are you so down on Chouinard's poor 2nd half but turning a blind eye to Labarbera's?

The guy had a TOTAL meltdown last year after a strong start....did opposing players just figure him out or did something mess w/ his head? Either way its not a good reason in terms of his future outlook. He was totally hot...then all of a sudden was on the IR for undisclosed "personal reasons." He was never the same upon returning & sucked for the 2nd half. I wouldn't touch the guy personally & MUCH prefer Flaherty's SOLID attitude & positive outlook he brings to the team. I also think the guys got more left in the tank for an affordable backup.

As for dal, I'd take Reid or Chouinard over Rypien any day. Sure I love Rypien's enthusiasm & work ethic but he's not there yet imo. He needs to show he can get it done at the minor league level first. We don't need a guy on the roster who would be challenged to get 5 goals & 15-20 pts when Reid could step in an ignite the line with offence AND hustle. Chouinard also brings size, defence & experience which could work very well w/ Green & Linden etc.
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3609
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: A CLOSER LOOK AT THE ROSTER

Postby DavidPratt_ » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:45 pm

ClamRussel wrote:Why are you so down on Chouinard's poor 2nd half but turning a blind eye to Labarbera's?

The guy had a TOTAL meltdown last year after a strong start....did opposing players just figure him out or did something mess w/ his head? Either way its not a good reason in terms of his future outlook. He was totally hot...then all of a sudden was on the IR for undisclosed "personal reasons." He was never the same upon returning & sucked for the 2nd half. I wouldn't touch the guy personally & MUCH prefer Flaherty's SOLID attitude & positive outlook he brings to the team. I also think the guys got more left in the tank for an affordable backup.

As for dal, I'd take Reid or Chouinard over Rypien any day. Sure I love Rypien's enthusiasm & work ethic but he's not there yet imo. He needs to show he can get it done at the minor league level first. We don't need a guy on the roster who would be challenged to get 5 goals & 15-20 pts when Reid could step in an ignite the line with offence AND hustle. Chouinard also brings size, defence & experience which could work very well w/ Green & Linden etc.


Labarbera had a meltdown due an indefinite leave he originally requested due to a family emergency. This is a guy who had a great start in LA last season and had proven himself year over year in the AHL where he was a top young goaltender. I would happily have him back up Luongo as opposed to Flaherty.

As for Chouinard over Rypien, my only concern is his work ethic and sense of urgency. Sure he's making $1.1 M but he's only on a one-year contract. C'mon buddy - give us some more effort than what we've seen!

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
User avatar
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: Yaletown

Re: A CLOSER LOOK AT THE ROSTER

Postby MarkMM » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:22 pm

DavidPratt_ wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Why are you so down on Chouinard's poor 2nd half but turning a blind eye to Labarbera's?

The guy had a TOTAL meltdown last year after a strong start....did opposing players just figure him out or did something mess w/ his head? Either way its not a good reason in terms of his future outlook. He was totally hot...then all of a sudden was on the IR for undisclosed "personal reasons." He was never the same upon returning & sucked for the 2nd half. I wouldn't touch the guy personally & MUCH prefer Flaherty's SOLID attitude & positive outlook he brings to the team. I also think the guys got more left in the tank for an affordable backup.

As for dal, I'd take Reid or Chouinard over Rypien any day. Sure I love Rypien's enthusiasm & work ethic but he's not there yet imo. He needs to show he can get it done at the minor league level first. We don't need a guy on the roster who would be challenged to get 5 goals & 15-20 pts when Reid could step in an ignite the line with offence AND hustle. Chouinard also brings size, defence & experience which could work very well w/ Green & Linden etc.


Labarbera had a meltdown due an indefinite leave he originally requested due to a family emergency. This is a guy who had a great start in LA last season and had proven himself year over year in the AHL where he was a top young goaltender. I would happily have him back up Luongo as opposed to Flaherty.

As for Chouinard over Rypien, my only concern is his work ethic and sense of urgency. Sure he's making $1.1 M but he's only on a one-year contract. C'mon buddy - give us some more effort than what we've seen!

dp


I'd hold on to Chouinard a bit longer to see if he picks it up once the games start to count, it's a bad attitude to not give your all but he doesn't really have much to prove to make the team, this might change once the kiddies are gone and he's playing next to the real pros. His face-off ability, size, defensive skills and penalty-killing plus experience on a young team may prove valuable, that said, if he doesn't pick it up, I'd look to trade him as he's probably the best way to shed some salary now that Santala isn't that far behind him in terms of playing ability, and Santala looks pretty hot in the face-off circle. Big body, toughness, just lacks some experience, but at his price and on the fourth line, not much of a loss.

I'd like another goalie brought in, be it Labarbera or someone else, Wade did well in the AHL last year but hasn't been stellar this pre-season, and I'm not convinced the AHL can carry over well. I really don't buy the argument that our back-up doesn't matter, the 10-15 games is still the difference between playoffs and golfing in the West, and Luongo said he wants to play less to rest up for the playoffs. I'm not saying I rule Flaherty out, just that I want the coaches to have an honest choice about who to play, not just use someone out of default because it's all we've got, Labarbera just seems to be the guy who will become available to us.
Mark
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:28 pm
Location: Delta, BC

Postby Badfish » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:28 am

I'm a bit worried by Chouinard's lackluster play, but I'm not convinced he's ready to be tossed on waivers (wouldn't he have to clear 'em to get to the Moose?) after 4 or 5 preseason games.

Lets give this team some time to gel, get to know each other, exactly what preseason is for imo! Lets make a better evaluation after a few weeks at least, eh? Chouinard's been playing with AHL'rs most the time as well, although still no excuse for his poor play really. Still, lets see how he does when it <b>counts</b>
User avatar
Badfish
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Postby nuckfan in TO » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:41 am

Chouinard has been horrible so far, but will get every chance to adjust to the team and system here... he's not goign to start the season in the press box, or waivers... and will likely get at least a month if not more, to find his place with the team.

The club invested a 2yr deal on him at $1.1mill/yr... they will give him a chance and won't write him off at all on a preseason where there are so many changes overall.

The lines I see going into the season:

Naslund-Morrison-Cooke

This line has played together before, and Cooke right now is the only player we have that has both played on the right wing top 6, and played well there... Bulis, Pyatt, Linden, Burrows, Chouinard, and Rypien haven't...

Sedin-Sedin-Bulis

By default, Bulis will take the other spot on the right wing top 6... I have full confidence in the Sedins (and always have since day 1), and am not worried about whoever is on their wing.

I see these top 2 lines as interchangable... the Sedins are showing again they're in for a serious jump in their play, and can't be seen anymore as just a 2nd line.

Burrows-Kesler-Linden

This is one of the bottom 6 lines I see forming... Kesler and Linden have played together before and Kesler's talked about the positive influence Linden has had on him... Linden looks strong so far ... solid training camp where his offseason training was evident... Burrows and Kesler have been forming some good chemistry in the preseason, and Vigneault has already commented on it... and maybe most importantly there's a good balance of intangibles here for a bottom 6 line - Linden's experience, with Burrow's fiestiness, Kesler's speed, and all 3 players being defensively responsible and positionally strong.

Pyatt-Santala/Chouinard-Chouinard/Rypien

From what I've seen, heard and read so far about camp, Santala has won a job with this team... he's been the best of the depth guys so far from what I can see... Vigneault is high on Rypien (who was my choice for the #12 spot going into camp), and should get a spot as at least the #13 guy (he should be back from injury by start of season). I could see Santala and Rypien both getting rotated into the lineup when everyone's healthy; however, injuries are inevitable.

Like the top 2 units, I see the bottom 2 units as interchangable as well... neither is a clear-cut #3 line vs. #4 line... this supports what Vigneault has been saying from the start - balanced lineup with 4 line depth, where all lines get icetime.
nuckfan in TO
CC Rookie
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:10 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby magnum44 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:26 pm

I think Rypien gets sent down and Green ends up as the utility fourth line guy just due to experience, durability and size. I like Rypiens style but I don't think his body can hold up for an NHL season the way he plays.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
User avatar
magnum44
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: saskatchewan

Postby MarkMM » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:46 pm

nuckfan in TO wrote:Chouinard has been horrible so far, but will get every chance to adjust to the team and system here... he's not goign to start the season in the press box, or waivers... and will likely get at least a month if not more, to find his place with the team.

The club invested a 2yr deal on him at $1.1mill/yr... they will give him a chance and won't write him off at all on a preseason where there are so many changes overall.

The lines I see going into the season:

Naslund-Morrison-Cooke

This line has played together before, and Cooke right now is the only player we have that has both played on the right wing top 6, and played well there... Bulis, Pyatt, Linden, Burrows, Chouinard, and Rypien haven't...

Sedin-Sedin-Bulis

By default, Bulis will take the other spot on the right wing top 6... I have full confidence in the Sedins (and always have since day 1), and am not worried about whoever is on their wing.

I see these top 2 lines as interchangable... the Sedins are showing again they're in for a serious jump in their play, and can't be seen anymore as just a 2nd line.

Burrows-Kesler-Linden

This is one of the bottom 6 lines I see forming... Kesler and Linden have played together before and Kesler's talked about the positive influence Linden has had on him... Linden looks strong so far ... solid training camp where his offseason training was evident... Burrows and Kesler have been forming some good chemistry in the preseason, and Vigneault has already commented on it... and maybe most importantly there's a good balance of intangibles here for a bottom 6 line - Linden's experience, with Burrow's fiestiness, Kesler's speed, and all 3 players being defensively responsible and positionally strong.

Pyatt-Santala/Chouinard-Chouinard/Rypien

From what I've seen, heard and read so far about camp, Santala has won a job with this team... he's been the best of the depth guys so far from what I can see... Vigneault is high on Rypien (who was my choice for the #12 spot going into camp), and should get a spot as at least the #13 guy (he should be back from injury by start of season). I could see Santala and Rypien both getting rotated into the lineup when everyone's healthy; however, injuries are inevitable.

Like the top 2 units, I see the bottom 2 units as interchangable as well... neither is a clear-cut #3 line vs. #4 line... this supports what Vigneault has been saying from the start - balanced lineup with 4 line depth, where all lines get icetime.


Wow, can't argue with anything here, I agree with magnum in that Green might get a look at, with Rypien being the first call-up.
Mark
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:28 pm
Location: Delta, BC


Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], BurningBeard, Google [Bot] and 4 guests