Sean Burke on Waivers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Sean Burke on Waivers

Post by Meerschaum »

Sean Burke has been placed on waivers by the Lightning, but with a $1.6 million salary I don't expect he'll have any problems clearing.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=178795&hubname=nhl

Nonis will have to wait for a cheaper backup to hit the wire.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Nanaimo_Nuck
CC Rookie

Post by Nanaimo_Nuck »

Yeah its disappointing his salary is so high... because he would be an excellent #2 goalie especially at this stage of his career.
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

Why does everyone keep selling Flaherty short? He is a seasoned veteran with NHL experience, and has been nails in the AHL the last three seasons. His credentials are at least as good as anyone else who might hit the waiver wire - why not give the guy a shot before looking elsewhere?

The guys in your system need to know that hard work in the minors will get them noticed, and get them a look. If the players in Manitoba don't believe that, then the morale there will be lower than whale droppings.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Larionov wrote:Why does everyone keep selling Flaherty short? He is a seasoned veteran with NHL experience, and has been nails in the AHL the last three seasons. His credentials are at least as good as anyone else who might hit the waiver wire - why not give the guy a shot before looking elsewhere?

The guys in your system need to know that hard work in the minors will get them noticed, and get them a look. If the players in Manitoba don't believe that, then the morale there will be lower than whale droppings.
I agree 100%. What is the point in having a system if you are afraid to use the people you have in it? Flaherty has earned his shot and so far in pre-season he is doing what he has to to stay.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I agree that Flaherty deserves to be back-up. Having said that, if Luongo were to get injured for a long time (cuts off fingers just for typing that :P ), I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable with Flaherty starting.
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

To be honest I don't think many of the guys like Burke would be such a huge upgrade on Flaherty. If he was 28 instead of 38 with the same numbers people would be excited about him. Some people age a lot different and he seems to be a guy who isn't hampered by his age. He deserves to play 10-15 games.
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

Nanaimo_Nuck wrote:Yeah its disappointing his salary is so high... because he would be an excellent #2 goalie especially at this stage of his career.
Agreed.
As a player over 35 years of age, Burke's contract will count against the Lightning cap this year, even if he retires
What the heck, Tampa is on the hook even if he retires??
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

MacNews wrote:
Nanaimo_Nuck wrote:Yeah its disappointing his salary is so high... because he would be an excellent #2 goalie especially at this stage of his career.
Agreed.
As a player over 35 years of age, Burke's contract will count against the Lightning cap this year, even if he retires
What the heck, Tampa is on the hook even if he retires??
Yes, that's part of the new CBA rules.

The hiring of Garth Snow is even more puzzling and idiotic because Snow signed his extension after his 35th birthday - meaning the remaining 2 years of his contract will still count against the Isles' salary cap even though he is retired and their current "GM." The term "GM" being used loosely here.

There are a number of teams that owe players bonuses even though they are inactive or under a new contract. Detroit still owes Stevie Y money due to bonuses from his previous contract, but to my understanding will not count against the cap.
MacNews
CC Veteran

Post by MacNews »

So if he retires, shouldn't he give up any future bonuses or contract money? This makes no sense to me.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

HappyCanuck wrote:
Larionov wrote:Why does everyone keep selling Flaherty short? He is a seasoned veteran with NHL experience, and has been nails in the AHL the last three seasons. His credentials are at least as good as anyone else who might hit the waiver wire - why not give the guy a shot before looking elsewhere?

I agree 100%. What is the point in having a system if you are afraid to use the people you have in it? Flaherty has earned his shot and so far in pre-season he is doing what he has to to stay.
Couldn't agree more myself. All Flaherty has done is show he's a perfect fit....ie everything Noronen isn't. Its not easy to find that perfect combo of ability & attitude that can play behind a workhorse like Luongo. I'm just not convinced an Ellis/MacIntyre combo in the minors is enough (in case of injury). Nonis has to show loyalty to Flaherty esp after what happened last year...the guy has earned a shot & deserves a chance.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

MacNews wrote:So if he retires, shouldn't he give up any future bonuses or contract money? This makes no sense to me.
Not according to the current CBA rules. I don't know the CBA/business side of hockey inside and out, but I suspect it has something to do with penalizing teams for signing old players to long-term contracts.