According to TSN Nonis will match Kesler's offer

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

well i think you might as well give him a shot at some real ice time if hes gonna be paid like he's already a goal scorer .... after the dismal season we had last year, it wouldnt hurt at this point to give him a shot at some of the top spots we still need to fill anyways. and if it happens to be another Ohlund type case... then awsome. and if he doesnt work out on a top line, i say drop back to his 3rd/4th line and dump him in the offseason
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Well, that was disappointing. I really thought DN was going to walk away from the deal. But I guess his philosophy is protect your asset no matter what. Look for DN to trade Kesler next season though.
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

Well, colour me optimistic, but I like the move by Nonis. He's overpaid to start the season, but it is a one-way deal and a player like him can make an impact on either of the top 2 lines. He may well earn his money this year, and I really think he can earn his spot on the top 2 lines if given a chance.

The other thing is, Kesler is the only young forward who has the potential to make an impact at this point. He is the type of player you need come playoff time and the prospect cupboard is pretty bare otherwise. Grabner, Hansen, Raymond et al may contribute soon, but not now and not likely in a similar role.

It's not just $1.9 Million for a 10 goal scorer, he will bring a lot more to the table for this soft Canuck forward corps than just his goals.

I think at this point, it does look like Cooke may be the odd man out. But i think Nonis and AV will be prudent and see how the lines play out to start the year, it's too early to pencil much of the lines together, the chemistry has yet to be determined. But if Cooke finds himself underutilized or injured, I wouldn't be surprised to see a move.
Eyes on the Prize
Goon2
CC Rookie

Post by Goon2 »

Let's not forget Kesler will come up for arbitration next summer. If he tanks, is there any hope the arbitrator will allow us to sign him for less than 1.9MM? Probably not.

It's fish or cut bait time for Kesler.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

What irks me is that clarke has just paid for Kesler to play in Europe next year.

Follow my logic.

So, Clarke insures that a third line player who scores 10 goals - at this point it doesn't matter who is paying, but Kesler IS geting 1.9 million this year. So he plays for a team - it doesn't matter which- and has a season - good or bad. IF he scores 20 goals, he almost earns his money, and next year, a team will qualify him (1.45 ish million). I know that most under 25's (as in years old) will NOT take a 1/2 million dollar pay cut - so Kesler holds out.... and out.... and out.... HELLO SEL!!!

-or-

he bomb next year, gets 10 goals, and GM's around the league offer him minimum and he gets his dander up and heads for Europe.

Either way, Kesler plays next year in Europe due to hold out.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Madcombinepilot wrote:What irks me is that clarke has just paid for Kesler to play in Europe next year.

Follow my logic.

So, Clarke insures that a third line player who scores 10 goals - at this point it doesn't matter who is paying, but Kesler IS geting 1.9 million this year. So he plays for a team - it doesn't matter which- and has a season - good or bad. IF he scores 20 goals, he almost earns his money, and next year, a team will qualify him (1.45 ish million). I know that most under 25's (as in years old) will NOT take a 1/2 million dollar pay cut - so Kesler holds out.... and out.... and out.... HELLO SEL!!!

-or-

he bomb next year, gets 10 goals, and GM's around the league offer him minimum and he gets his dander up and heads for Europe.

Either way, Kesler plays next year in Europe due to hold out.
I have to disagree with this. There's always an idiot out there willing to pay.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: