Ryan Kesler signs Offer Sheet with Philadelphia

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Postby rblight » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:34 am

The problem with this whole situation is the can of worms the Clarke has opened on the league - how in the hell is a 10-goal scorer worth $1.9M??? What does that do to the marketplace? What an idiot. Not to mention the fact that he has Richards and Carter on his own team who make about a million less than Kesler will with this deal. In the salary cap era, how many players will you be able to sign at this rate? This bodes well for me - I might make the league now because all the regulars will be priced out...

As much as I hate to say it, let Kesler go. He is unproven talent that just isn't worth the money. 1M is a lot of money to hang on to potential - and even then is he going to resign after one year for less than $1.9M? Doubt it. Take the 2nd rounder (which gives us a surplus of picks) and let the kid go - the money can be used to bolster a different part of the lineup.

Stupid Clarke. Him and Wang should hang out.
Image
David: You know how I know you're gay?
Cal: How?
David: You like Coldplay.
User avatar
rblight
AHL Prospect
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:03 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Postby the Cunning Linguist » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:35 am

Another thing I've found to be disturbing is how many people are disparaging Kesler for being "a greedy American"... Hello? Does that not sound the slightest bit - uhm - racist?
Image
Image
User avatar
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:18 am
Location: If not in here then offthepost.ORG...

Postby tantalum » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:42 am

American is a race????
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Postby Fred » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:50 am

I have to believe a lot of owners are going to be pissed at Clarkes move next summer when some other third line centres in arbitration ask for the same money. Who knows maybe Chouinard might be one of them
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Postby DonCherry4PM » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:43 am

the Cunning Linguist wrote:Another thing I've found to be disturbing is how many people are disparaging Kesler for being "a greedy American"... Hello? Does that not sound the slightest bit - uhm - racist?


Would have to agree with your sentiment. I didn't know that greed was strictly an American trait. Seem to remember some Canadian, widely acclaimed for his "heart", selling out to the highest bidder (Pheonix) over the summer. Regrettably, as much as we would like it to be, it is not an aberration among Canadian players. But hey, any excuse to lash out at the "greedy Americans."
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
User avatar
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:27 pm

Postby the Cunning Linguist » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:22 am

DonCherry4PM wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:Another thing I've found to be disturbing is how many people are disparaging Kesler for being "a greedy American"... Hello? Does that not sound the slightest bit - uhm - racist?


Would have to agree with your sentiment. I didn't know that greed was strictly an American trait. Seem to remember some Canadian, widely acclaimed for his "heart", selling out to the highest bidder (Pheonix) over the summer. Regrettably, as much as we would like it to be, it is not an aberration among Canadian players. But hey, any excuse to lash out at the "greedy Americans."

Indeed. And what of Nolan Baumgartner, good ol' Calgary boy who signed with the Flyers this summer for $1.2M. Or Montreal-native Roberto Luongo, who agreed to a long term contract for approximately $6.75M with Vancouver when he could have said "No, no, Nonis, that's about $3M more than I need and besides you need to tie up Kesler, re-sign Carter, and Jovanovski"...
Image
Image
User avatar
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:18 am
Location: If not in here then offthepost.ORG...

Postby Goon2 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:57 am

1. I hear about Kesler's speed, but I can't recall a single play where he threw it into high gear and blew by a blueliner while carrying the puck. Sure, he needs to mature, but shouldn't his speed already be there? Where is it? I've seen all but 6 Canucks games the past three seasons, and I am still wondering where it is.

2. The underlying problem signing him to a 1.9MM contract this year is what are you going to pay him next year? Because unless he triples his output and throws up 35 goals as the Twins Bouncee, he won't be worth 1.9MM. Does anyone think he's going to take a pay cut in 2007-08? Of course not. If we actually match the offer, there is no way he'll be around for next year. So then why would we overpay for him now?

3. I think it would have been nice for him to have told the Canucks that he was going to sign a 1.9MM sheet from Philly, pay me 1.5MM and let's be done with it. But he didn't do that, we got hosed, which marks the beginning of the end of his tenure in Vancouver. I agree, let's cut him loose (we won't get him next year anyway). Clarke will look like the idiot -- overpaying for him.
Goon2
CC Rookie
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:40 pm
Location: Nashville, thankful for NHL Centre Ice

Postby Madcombinepilot » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:16 am

I think it would have been nice for him to have told the Canucks that he was going to sign a 1.9MM sheet from Philly, pay me 1.5MM and let's be done with it. But he didn't do that, we got hosed, which marks the beginning of the end of his tenure in Vancouver. I agree, let's cut him loose (we won't get him next year anyway). Clarke will look like the idiot -- overpaying for him.


Except this team does not negotiate through the media. this would have never happened. Someone would have leaked, blown it out of proportion, and we would all hate Kesler.....

upon whom, if the season tanks, we will promptly form a lynch mob, and string Nonis up for protecting assets by wasting a million dollars. hmmm.... how much does every team waste every year???? (this could be an arguement as to who will win the cup, that being whichever team wastes the least)

I do not for a second believe that Kesler making more money than cooke will cause an issue in the room. Lots of people have made more money than Cooke. Players are used to other making more money, and I think this is being over analyzed.

Yes I want Kesler on the team for a million dollars, and yes, 1.9 is too much, but as a GM you must protect your assests. Otherwise, next year this time, we will see more offer sheets than pimps have 50's....
Last edited by Madcombinepilot on Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with untill you understand I am in charge.
User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Postby Kowch » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:17 am

I don't think he's greedy, I think Clarke is an idiot for giving him that much. I'd love to keep him, but he's not worth that much. I'd rather take the second round pick, re-negotiate with Carter and then sign Pitkanen to an offer sheet next year.
Kowch
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:11 am

Postby The_Pauser » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:37 am

Kowch wrote:I don't think he's greedy, I think Clarke is an idiot for giving him that much. I'd love to keep him, but he's not worth that much. I'd rather take the second round pick, re-negotiate with Carter and then sign Pitkanen to an offer sheet next year.


Carter isn't coming back. The only reason why Nonis might not match Kesler is because it'd put us about 400k away from the salary cap. If Kesler stays, then you can expect to see someone like Cooke moved.

If Kesler walks, then I think we'll just replace him with a guy like Rick Rypien.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Postby Meerschaum » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:37 am

tantalum wrote:American is a race????


A race?

No.

I'd say it's more of a scripted roller derby . . .
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
User avatar
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Postby The_Pauser » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:39 am

Meerschaum wrote:
tantalum wrote:American is a race????


A race?

No.

I'd say it's more of a scripted roller derby . . .


I'd say its more like a crapshoot.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Postby Kid A » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:42 am

Frankly, when I first heard the news I was shocked. It seemed like there must be some way to retaliate, or that we should at least not let Clarke get away with it. But now that I've calmed down, I think it really is in the best interest of the canucks to let him go. I think we can all agree that Kesler is not worth 1.9 mil, and being realistic, I don't see him being worth that much for a couple of years at least. As much as this sucks, a 2nd rounder is much better than an overpayed played.
Kid A
AHL Prospect
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:55 am

Postby Kowch » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:52 am

The_Pauser wrote:
Kowch wrote:I don't think he's greedy, I think Clarke is an idiot for giving him that much. I'd love to keep him, but he's not worth that much. I'd rather take the second round pick, re-negotiate with Carter and then sign Pitkanen to an offer sheet next year.


Carter isn't coming back.


Really? I wasn't aware he signed with another team. Oh... wait...

Until he signs elsewhere, there's always a chance.

The only reason why Nonis might not match Kesler is because it'd put us about 400k away from the salary cap. If Kesler stays, then you can expect to see someone like Cooke moved.

If Kesler walks, then I think we'll just replace him with a guy like Rick Rypien.


Can't disagree with this.
Kowch
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:11 am

Postby The_Pauser » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:55 am

Kowch wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Kowch wrote:I don't think he's greedy, I think Clarke is an idiot for giving him that much. I'd love to keep him, but he's not worth that much. I'd rather take the second round pick, re-negotiate with Carter and then sign Pitkanen to an offer sheet next year.


Carter isn't coming back.


Really? I wasn't aware he signed with another team. Oh... wait...

Until he signs elsewhere, there's always a chance.

The only reason why Nonis might not match Kesler is because it'd put us about 400k away from the salary cap. If Kesler stays, then you can expect to see someone like Cooke moved.

If Kesler walks, then I think we'll just replace him with a guy like Rick Rypien.


Can't disagree with this.


Well if you can't disagree with me, why do you come out with the comment that there's always a chance??? Face it...you saw Carter in a Canucks uniform last year, and that was his last season in a Canuck uniform. He's gone.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Hockey Widow and 2 guests