Ryan Kesler signs Offer Sheet with Philadelphia

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Never in a million years should Nonis match the offer. Kess is a great young player and I expect the world from him, but a 2nd rounder is much better then having to pay him $1.9 mill. Lets just take the extra cap space and sign Anson Carter. What the hell is Clarke playing at? Trying to poach our RFAs is a surefire way to lose friends around the league.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

If we match, somebody's going. I just can't see us keep Kes' $1.9m and not moving a body.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

You know, I am starting to think this is possibly more about Anson Carter than it is Kessler.

Say, Clarke is trying to lowball Carter into signing with the Flyers.

Carter's camp starts speaking with Nonis, because we still have a little cap room.

So Clarke takes us out of the picture by making the crazy offer to Kessler solely to eat into the 'Nucks cap room, knowing that Nonis has to match or he'll be used like a cheap Albanian whore by every GM in the league for the rest of his career.

That might explain this craziness.

Either way, I assume the Clarke is gonna have a heck of a time signing Pitkanen and Niittymaki next offseason with Nonis gunning for bear.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

From the TSN story it said Clarke tried to work out a trade for Kesler earlier in the summer and Nonis wasn't biting. So Clarke told Nonis that he might give Kesler an offer sheet. Nonis responded that he would match whatever was offered by Clarke.
So KNOWING this why the hell would Clarke still send Kesler an offer sheet? The only reason is that Clarke was pissed at Nonis for turning down the trade offer for Kesler and was looking for retribution. The only thing now, as it says in the TSN story, that all the other GM's around the league are angry at Clarke for driving up the comparable salary for this type of player (Kesler's qualifier next year will be $1.9M) and are looking forward to giving offer sheets to the likes of Carter and Richards. Pay back can be a bitch.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I wonder....can Nonis trade Kesler's rights BEFORE he matches, thus allowing the new team to "match?"

Clarke is an asshole

Kesler is a selfish prick

What has happened is Kesler is now taking ONE million dollars that he has NOT earned , held the Canucks ransom and taken away Nonis' ability to add a player at the deadline. Nonis now has NO wiggle room unless he now trades ANOTHER player (since Kesler is thus untradeable). Good job asshat, nice to know Kesler is the consumate TEAM player. The next Trevor Linden my ass! This should make him a popular guy at the Xmas party.
Victoriafan
CC Rookie

Post by Victoriafan »

jchockey wrote:If we match, somebody's going. I just can't see us keep Kes' $1.9m and not moving a body.
According to TSN (and my own calculations):

Sources suggest Kesler's figure of $1.9 million will take Vancouver to $43 million for 22 players – that's $1 million under the cap and one player under the 23-man roster limit.

Which means that, although 1.9 for Kesler is insane, it's not time to push the Cap Panic Button just yet.

Makes it seem more likely that we are going to get a cheap-ass backup though
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Hopefully DN doesn't bite on this. Kesler is a solid player but nowhere worth 1.9mil/year unless it is a long term deal. Matching the offer would hurt the team more than letting Kesler go imo.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

ClamRussel wrote:I wonder....can Nonis trade Kesler's rights BEFORE he matches, thus allowing the new team to "match?"

Clarke is an asshole

What has happened is Kesler is now taking ONE million dollars that he has NOT earned , held the Canucks ransom and taken away Nonis' ability to add a player at the deadline. Nonis now has NO wiggle room unless he now trades ANOTHER player (since Kesler is thus untradeable). Good job asshat, nice to know Kesler is the consumate TEAM player. The next Trevor Linden my ass! This should make him a popular guy at the Xmas party.

That's pretty harsh to say. Sure he was asking more then he was worth, but it was Clarke who gave him the offer. If you were offered better money for the same job you're doing at a rival company I would bet you would take it.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Not that there would be a market at that price, but its too bad that there is a clause in that rule that states a player cannot be traded for a year.

This all stinks.

I really like Kesler too. I don't blame him for signing, but it will make things a bit tricky and complicated in the room.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Let's not forget that Kesler's former college linemate is Umberger. I am sure that Clarke factored this in when making this offer.

As for Anson Carter, it's over. Nonis has moved on from that. In fact I would rather take the chance on Kesler making a mig step this year and developing further, than giving Carter that kind of money now.

In the age of the cap you HAVE to develop your talent. Is Kesler worth the money now? No, but with his speed, if he blossoms into a 20-30 goal scorer will it be worth it to have lost him for a million dollars, and pick a second rounder who may never even play for your club?

The Canucks have to match...welcome to the age of the salary cap.

Oh yeah and Bobby Clarke is a prick.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

I would also say this royally screws Jason King's position (he screwed himself by not attending camp), but if the Canucks match he's done.
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

Linden Is God wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:I wonder....can Nonis trade Kesler's rights BEFORE he matches, thus allowing the new team to "match?"

Clarke is an asshole

That's pretty harsh to say. Sure he was asking more then he was worth, but it was Clarke who gave him the offer. If you were offered better money for the same job you're doing at a rival company I would bet you would take it.
Not a good comparison at all.
We aren't hockey players in the sports entertainment business. Most of us could leave our job, and our former bosses could find a comparable employee the very next day. If Kesler signs with Philadelphia, we don't get another Ryan Kesler. Our companies might not be operating precariously close to their maximum budget.

What Kesler has done is hamstrung the ability of his GM to make a trade at the deadline, or to shore up the team if we face injuries again this year. Trevor Linden is a team player and took LESS many than he could have got somewhere else, because he likes the city and he believes in the team concept. Ryan Kesler will be earning double his worth, and hurting the ability of his team to improve, because he obviously does not understand this team concept.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

In addition, if the Canucks match and give him a 1 yr $1.9 mil contract and he has a good season, what's it going to cost to re-up after next season? You think he'll take less?
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Brian CC wrote:Let's not forget that Kesler's former college linemate is Umberger. I am sure that Clarke factored this in when making this offer.

As for Anson Carter, it's over. Nonis has moved on from that. In fact I would rather take the chance on Kesler making a mig step this year and developing further, than giving Carter that kind of money now.

In the age of the cap you HAVE to develop your talent. Is Kesler worth the money now? No, but with his speed, if he blossoms into a 20-30 goal scorer will it be worth it to have lost him for a million dollars, and pick a second rounder who may never even play for your club?

The Canucks have to match...welcome to the age of the salary cap.

Oh yeah and Bobby Clarke is a prick.
I don't know, the value of young talent is that it's cheap, right now if we take this, we're paying him like a veteran third-liner for a level of play he has not yet developed, so the argument of us holding on to a young asset is weakened. Even his long-term potential was predicated a bit on him developing skills we'd be paying less than market value for until he was a UFA, that's also essentially shot, unless he has a huge season.

I'd take the $1.9 million in cap space, go with the players we have, and at the deadline, load up on a more expensive player using the accumulated space, with Clarke overpaying and losing room to strengthen his team with an overpaid player he'll have to re-up next season for or else watch his 2nd round pick and lost money go for nothing, and send the message that we won't be forced into stupid moves.
Mark
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

I honestly believe that if Kesler plays first or 2nd line RW, he could get 20 goals and create a lot of space for his linemates, whether it be Naz/Mo or the Twins. If he can do that, I can live with Nonis matching the offer. Plus, you can't just let other GMs (particularly a slimeball like Clarke) get away with this rubbish. I hope he gets his due, and I'm sure he will.

I can't imagine a team like Pittsburgh passing up on the chance to sign to an offer sheet and acquire a guy like Pitkanen who would be a perfect fit for them.

But even if Nonis doesn't match, having a 2nd rounder and the chance to resign Carter (IF, if it can be done) is something I could live with.

I guess the one silver lining to this deal is that it puts us so close to the cap that Nonis will be forced to keep all 3 of our 2nd rounders instead of overpaying for some grinder at the deadline. Course, we'd better hope this team is healthy when that deadline comes around. :( :?
Eyes on the Prize