Ryan Kesler signs Offer Sheet with Philadelphia

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

gmisinthegarage wrote: If another company called you up and said they were going to pay you twice as much you were worth. You would take it.
Sure I would take it, if it was only about money. The situation is more like a company offering me twice my current salary, but my original company is forced to hire me back at the same amount of money, even though I'm not worth it. I'd then become higher paid then a lot of co-workers who have been with the company longer and do a better job. They aren't about to welcome you back with open arms. At the very least you aren't going to get invited to the office Christmas party.

I have no idea why Kesler and his agent thought this was a good idea. Did they really think Nonis would just walk away from them? This is yet another headache the team dosen't need, and one that won't go away easily. You have to wonder what people think sometimes.
gmisinthegarage
MVP
MVP

Post by gmisinthegarage »

Ya think carter is happy for listing to his agent?
You cook so slow you don't use a egg timer you use an Egg calendar.
Oh ya that's right I went there
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

I don't blame Kesler as much as I blame Bobby Clarke. There's been an unwritten code amongst GMs where they wouldn't go after eachother's RFA's. Clarke broke this code and I cant wait to see the other GM's bring down their wrath on him the next few years. Pitkanen/Nittymaki next year and Carter/Richards/Umberger in 2 years.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

levelheaded wrote:At the very least you aren't going to get invited to the office Christmas party.
Oh, I'd still invite him to the Christmas party. If only to piss in his eggnog . . .

This could really turn out be a serious dressing room cancer.

From a caring HR perspective, I think the only way to handle this delicate situation will be for AV to send Kesler out as the team's designated enforcer for the first half of the season.

No, seriously.

I've only got the kid's best interests at heart.

After he's gotten his face rearranged every other night by the League's heavyweights, I'm guessing the rest of the room will start to feel a little pity for the toothless, mangled lump of flesh at the end of the bench who looks like the Elephant Man.

Then everything will be forgiven.

Sure he'll still be overpaid.

But that'll be cold comfort when compared to the complete loss of Ryan's facial features.

So, let's not think of this kid as a greedy sunofabitch who has placed his teammates in salary cap hell.

Instead, think of him as a future tragic figure. A soon-to-be poster child of the very real dangers of crossing Dave "you talkin to me?" Nonis. :lol:
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Meerschaum wrote:
levelheaded wrote:At the very least you aren't going to get invited to the office Christmas party.
Oh, I'd still invite him to the Christmas party. If only to piss in his eggnog . . .

This could really turn out be a serious dressing room cancer.

From a caring HR perspective, I think the only way to handle this delicate situation will be for AV to send Kesler out as the team's designated enforcer for the first half of the season.

No, seriously.

I've only got the kid's best interests at heart.

After he's gotten his face rearranged every other night by the League's heavyweights, I'm guessing the rest of the room will start to feel a little pity for the toothless, mangled lump of flesh at the end of the bench who looks like the Elephant Man.

Then everything will be forgiven.

Sure he'll still be overpaid.

But that'll be cold comfort when compared to the complete loss of Ryan's facial features.

So, let's not think of this kid as a greedy sunofabitch who has placed his teammates in salary cap hell.

Instead, think of him as a future tragic figure. A soon-to-be poster child of the very real dangers of crossing Dave "you talkin to me?" Nonis. :lol:
If he turns out to be a real bust this season and Nonis needs cap space we could always send him down to Manitoba. Sure he'd have to clear waivers but one way or another we'd be able to lose his salary.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Kesler better prove his worth...what a low blow by Clarke (should expect nothing less out of the guy). I hope he realizes what he's unleashed on the league when every one of his young guys is poached over the next couple years. What a tool to offer such a contract. Nonis should have let him take it and eat his own lunch when all his young guns come of age.
Nanaimo_Nuck
CC Rookie

Post by Nanaimo_Nuck »

I highly suggest that the Canucks sign Kesler by matching the offer. He is going to be a solid top 6 player... so many Canuck fans are quick to jump to conclusions. He reminds me alot of Trevor Linden and maybe if the Canucks weren't so damned cheap with their real talent and keep dickin em around maybe they'll get somewhere. Give him more ice time then... bump up his role... he played 82 games and worked damn hard for a 2nd year player. I like Kesler alot and he deserves every penny. Kesler signed this for one reason... The Canucks are notoriously a CHEAP team who low balls every player face the truth fans... cap or not its always been this way.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Those saying Kesler should show some loyalty yadda yadda yadda are on their high horse a bit. 700k to $1 million more is not chump change. For a professional athlete just starting out who may not have that many years of career you have to take that money. We aren't talking a 30 year old that has made $20 mil dollars in his career. We're talking of a young kid who if he's smart will be making as much money as he possibly can. I have no problem with Kesler signing the offer sheet. None at all. Nor should anyone UNLESS he sulks when Nonis matches and doesn't give it his all.

Clarke also did nothing wrong. It's allowed. It;s been done before. Of course, I don't think the NHL is ready for that cutthroat management and i think it'll come back to bite Clarke because of that.

To match or not to match..kesler has likely not peaked yet and it is difficult to know at what level he will peak at. It's a tough call. Nonis will have to move someone I think to give himself some space under the cap. But it doesn't put him over the cap at this time so their is no need to panic. But as I mentioned if he matches I do think Cooke will be on the move sooner rather than later.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Bobby Clarke of course did nothing wrong, technically. That's the way the rules were written. It's his totall inability to police himself that's at issue. AS the players stated before the lockout, it's not us who has the problem it's management. Well Clarke was a major spender back then and apparently has learned nothing since then either. here we are management cutting each others throats and driving up the market.

I was frankly pleased when a couple of teams walked away from arbitration awards this summer. Apparently it was all for naught, I hope the various management types isolate this guy, he's one reason why there will be another lockout
cheers
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Sure Booby Clarke did nothing wrong, then why has no GM doen this for eight years? What a piece of shit this guy is, hopefully Nonis or another GM can do some payback when Clarke needs something down the road.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

As I said, Clarke did nothing wrong BUT it will come back to bite him somehow IMO. So he did something stupid. And even more stupid given that Ryan kesler is not the palyer you'd expect this to be about.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

What disturbs me as much as anything is that Clarke basically told DN that he would make an offer to Kesler earlier this summer so DN knew this was a possibility and still didn't make signing Kesler a priority. Or perhaps he did but Kesler's agent stalled long enough for Clarke to realize that Primeau is nowhere near ready to play so Clarke could make an 11th hour deal with Kesler. :mad:
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Bobby Clarke of course did nothing wrong, technically.
The spirit of the rule was to give the players some protection against teams low balling their restricted free agents...

The amount of the offer is what was stupid ...
If another company called you up and said they were going to pay you twice as much you were worth. You would take it
That's a personal decision...

I was in a similar situation at one time when the company I had given notice to offered me a very large package to stay on...

It was more than my new employer had offered me but I chose to decline the better offer because in my mind that employer would soon regret their decision and I didn't want to work in that enviroment...

I am sure Kesler doesn't consider himself a $1.9 million dollar player at this stage of his career and understands the negative impact his contract will have on the team...

He is probably smart enough to understand that his decision will mean that somebody like Cooke will be moved to make room for his contract...

I wonder if he has to sign in Vancouver for the $1.9 or if he is allowed to sign for less ?

I find it ironic that this went down on the heels of the Brodeur book wherein he talks about his reasons for not using an agent...

I think at the end of the day Kesler got very bad long term advise from his agent which he will regret...

Take care...
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

tantalum wrote:Those saying Kesler should show some loyalty yadda yadda yadda are on their high horse a bit.
Yep. I think in many ways the institution of the cap was designed to shift the focus away from the owners to the players. They must laugh every time some player gets less than he feels he's worth and the fans jump on him for not having loyalty to the team.

Whereas nobody expects similar loyalty from the owners; it's just expected that they'll all be money-grubbing capitalists.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

rikster wrote: I wonder if he has to sign in Vancouver for the $1.9 or if he is allowed to sign for less ?

Take care...
DN has to sign him to that amount. He cannot be traded nor his contract be renegotiated under the CBA rules.

We'll see if Kes signs for less after this contract expires.