Would you do a Gagne for Naslund trade straight up?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Gagne for Naslund trade straight up

Yes
29%
No Philly needs to give more
54%
No Vancouver needs to give more
2%
Dont trade Naslund at all EVER
15%

Total votes: 41

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Grizzly wrote:No Naslund hasn't won anything big ... but to say that he is "not even close" to being a superstar is a bit of a stretch ... I think you would find even Flames fans suggesting he is in an elite group of players. Anyways ... I guess it just becomes a matter of opinion and what you consider to be your own definition of the term "Superstar".

Grizz
Yes, well, Flames Idiots would have you believe that Inigla is a "superstar" while Bertuzzi is a "criminal", so certainly don't use them as any kind of yardstick.

My definition of "superstar"? Well a starting point would be a guy that doesn't choke every year.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

I understand that I am a Naslund supporter and SRsez is clearly not. We don't agree on this topic...so I apologize for continuing the discussion.

In light of SRsez's latest post, I began looking at Naslund's split and situational stats from last season, and I saw some interesting trends.

Point scoring by month:
Oct 14pts 12gms
Nov 18pts 14gms
Dec 12pts 12gms
Jan 11pts 14gms
Feb 6pts 7gms
Mar 10pts 15gms
Apr 8pts 7gms

Pre-all star break: 60pts 58gms
Post-all star break: 19pts 23gms

Point scoring by period: 17-33-28

Note that Naslund became less than a point per game player in January. He managed to surge slightly during the late-season run at the playoffs, accumulating 8 points in April.

According to sports.yahoo.com/nhl/, Naslund had 12 points in "clutch" situations and 18 points in the "last 5 minutes" (of periods, presumably). His point scoring is higher later in the game than it is early in contests.

I wouldn't say he is an incredible 'clutch' player, but he certainly didn't disappear during crunch time last year.

I also noticed that Naslund had a +12 rating in Canucks wins, but a -31 rating in losses. I guess when the WCE didn't show up, things got ugly.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

MinnesotaCanuck wrote:I also noticed that Naslund had a +12 rating in Canucks wins, but a -31 rating in losses. I guess when the WCE didn't show up, things got ugly.
And what does that say about when your "superstar" "clutch performer" "leader" & "Captain", along with his best friend, don't show up? Nothing Canuck fans haven't witnessed every year for the past four.

I don't know about guys that don't understand the game of hockey (I thought they were all living in Calgary), but superstars don't take extended breaks of not showing up.

Naslund should have been sent packing, but like Cloutier, no one really wanted him that much.

Furthermore, given all the quality ice time he got, don't you think he might have scored a few earlier, just so he wasn't being looked at with 5 minutes left to go, needing a desperate goal just to make a game?
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

He could be a superstar if he takes the next step then he will be considered a superstar. The next step is of course the hardest of all and he'll need help from teamates. That step is playoff succses . E.A sports consider him a superstar.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Hey SR they sometimes take "extendedbreaks of not showing up " when they are playing through an injury.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

ververgaert wrote:Hey SR they sometimes take "extendedbreaks of not showing up " when they are playing through an injury.
Yes, and they're usually injured for 4 years straight, too. :roll:
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Talking about all this "superstar blabla" and relating to the header of this thread.

Does anyone think Gagne would be a better "superstar" than Naslund ? In case if not who else under the given "circumstances" in Van ? ;)

We should sign Madonna, she's a superstar isn't she ? :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Does anyone think Gagne would be a better "superstar" than Naslund ? In case if not who else under the given "circumstances" in Van ?
The type of player who could develop into a superstar in Vancouver would be a gritty RW with great hands to play with the Sedins. However, I wouldn't unload Naslund to get that type of player, because that would make the Canucks a one line team again.

I don't believe that replacing Naslund with Gagne would do anything to improve this team over the next two years.

Does anyone have Gagne's numbers broken down for games played with and without Forsberg last year?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

This is going to be an interesting season for Naslund, his defensive liability is well known but has been overlooked because of his offensive out put. At the point at which this is no longer true Naslunds value in serious doubts.

As much as I have been a fan of Gagne I think by bringing in Gagne would mean a lot more changes than just Naslund
cheers