Who has been our MVP?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who has been the Canucks' MVP this season?

Markus Näslund
No votes
Henrik Sedin
38%
Daniel Sedin
4%
Anson Carter
26%
Alex Auld
21%
Sami Salo
4%
Mattias Öhlund
2%
Tyler Bouck ;)
2%
Other (explain your selection)
2%

Total votes: 47

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Who has been our MVP?

Post by Jyrki21 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:33 pm

The year's not over yet, but I doubt this question will change enormously over the next few games, even if a clutch performer emerges. So...

It's the first year in a while where there isn't a single really obvious MVP selection. I could see them doing something cheezy like choosing both Sedins or the entire Brothers Line, or something (they aren't real NHL awards, so I doubt there are really stringent rules).

Place your vote! My nominees:

Markus Näslund - forget the acrimony of late, he's still been one of our best players scoring-wise, especially considering his injury earlier on; plus it would be weird not to list him

Henrik Sedin - I predict he'll be the consensus pick here

Daniel Sedin - for the same reasons as Henrik and Carter, though being a winger his role is arguably easier than Henrik's

Anson Carter - he's been Mr. Clutch this season, and is a remarkably efficient scorer in terms of ice time and shots

Alex Auld - held us in there

Sami Salo - until his injury was probably our best defenseman; I think he was our best player for the first 10-15 games of the season, too

Mattias Öhlund - by all accounts he's had an average year at best, but he's still a horse and the team is far worse without him, which might be the true signal of an MVP

Mooger35
CC Veteran

Post by Mooger35 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:38 pm

I'd vote for the Sedins. :D

I'd probably go with Hank if I had to choose between them.
Peter: Just don't forget our deal, Lois. I sit through this and later tonight I get anal. You hear me? No matter how neat I want the house you have to clean it.

the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:54 pm

I wanted to vote Auld since I think were it not for his steady, but unspectacular play, we'd be in a heap of horsehit and playing the spoiler role instead of MIN, but I think I'd give it to Henrik for having a break out year and being a very solid #2 if not #1a center.

EDIT: Isn't the Nucks' MVP based on the # of three star selections?

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:28 pm

the Cunning Linguist wrote: EDIT: Isn't the Nucks' MVP based on the # of three star selections?
No, that's the Molson Cup. The MVP is either media or fans, not sure which.

To explain my vote for Salo, by the way: the Canucks were winning a lot earlier in the season when their power play was going at a reasonable clip. Salo was obviously a huge part of us. He pretty much got us our first victory against Calgary (exciting OT game) single-handedly.

The Canucks actually haven't scored a ton at even strength this season, largely due to the disappearance of the WCE as a dependable unit. Hence, power play = everything this season, and I think Salo is the single biggest contributor.

I'd take no issue with either Sedin either, though.

sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:00 pm

All good choices..........but...........
I voted for Carter simply because he was an off season pickup that wasn't projected to do a whole lot, and has absolutely exceeded all expectations. He has scored more GWGs, 3rd period goals etc.,, and even though his skating looks rather awkward, he seems to get where he is going quick time.
He is a real bargain for his price tag. He's a keeper, along with Carney

tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:47 pm

I picked Carter (although anyone from that line deserves it, is there ever 3 way ties?)... He came in here without really having any stellar seasons... been traded around. And i think alot of people expected this to just be another stop for him. Hes really meshed well with the team especially the Sedins. I think the twins were expected to break out once they found the right guy for the line. CARTER is one of the main reasons the Sedins are having so much success. Carter has been a great pick up for the team, A strong clutch player who likes to score game winners. Congrats to him also for hitting 30 goals!
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews

JonnyLaRue
AHL Prospect

Post by JonnyLaRue » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:49 pm

I say Danrickson is the MVP. That line has feasted on the opposition.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:06 pm

If it was based on number of comments on this forum, it would have to be Bertuzzi.

But #33 gets my vote.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:10 pm

How could anyone choose a player other than Auld. He's the most valuable player by any definition this season. No one else has made the impact that he has.

tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:26 pm

Auldy has played well, but not for the entire season. Carter and the Sedins have been strong every game.
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:26 pm

JCardinal wrote:How could anyone choose a player other than Auld. He's the most valuable player by any definition this season. No one else has made the impact that he has.
Well I can answer that in part: that's always true of every starting goalie. The position is disproportionately more important than any other, so your goalie is technically always your MVP no matter how good he is. Hence, MVP voters kind of measure goalies on a separate scale... otherwise the Hart winner would be a goalie essentially every year too. (For this reason, I don't think goalies should even be eligible).

MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:28 pm

I'd go with Auld, for two reasons...

1.) As much as WCE has disappeared, if one of the Bro line got injured, in theory they could be replaced by having WCE or other players step it up. After Cloutier went down, if Auld got hurt, there would have been a wholesale dismantling of the team to fix the problem, if one player can single-handedly be that crucial to a team...

2.) I wouldn't mind if one of the Bro's got it, but if the argument is that the Bro's all had breakout years, hasn't Auld had one as well, under much more pressure with much less experience?
Mark

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:41 pm

While I would normally have split my vote between the twins, I hate to say it, I think it's none other than Kieth Carney. In the last 7 games, we seem to have gotten out of our funk, the entire team is putting in an effort every night, we are no longer talking about lockerroom divisions, the list goes on....

Watch Carney on the bench next game and see if you see a difference from the bench. I think he has an invisible 'A' on his jersey.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:54 pm

want to split between hank and daniel. but Ill take Hank. Carter has been magnificant ..... at accepting the Sedins passes :) Carter has proven he has the ability to be a finisher and is a really smart hockey player but I dont think he would ahve this without the Sedins. Hank has been fantastic.

Ill agree with MCP that Carney has had alot to do with the recent turn around.

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:16 pm

For me it came down to Henrik and Carter.

I went with Henrik. He kills penalties and is enjoying a superb year. I think this is the year we've all been waiting for since the day we drafted them.