Greatest Canuck

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who is the greatest Canuck ever?

Harold Snepsts
No votes
Pavel Bure
24%
Thomas Gradin
7%
Trevor Linden
45%
Kirk McLean
2%
Markus Naslund
11%
Stan Smyl
11%

Total votes: 55

Jester
AHL Prospect

Post by Jester »

Toni Tanti was my fave, way back in the 80's... His name was cool as shit too.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Oh c'mon, it's gotta be Tiger!!! Who else has ever led the team in both penalty minutes and goals in a single season?

Besides, Williams was a hillarious guy to go out drinking with. (When I lived in Toronto in the late 80s, one of the local bars I used to frequent would put on "An Evening with Mr. Tiger Williams, Esq" every month or so. Tiger would show up (late . . .), tell some screamingly funny stories, get rip roaring drunk and then we'd all head out to watch some low-quality strippers.)

I don't see Trevor Linden engaged in that sort of community service for the lunatic drunken low-life fringe . . . ;)

My runner up? Andre "Superpest" Boudrias! A tiny player with speed to burn and mad, mad skills (think of Reid, but with talent). If I recall he still holds the record for most assists in a season for the 'Nucks. Always a blast to watch!
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

I can't belive it, wth? no Jim Agnew?
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

Jester wrote: ... His name was cool as shit too.
remember his car when he was stylin' around town?
Tanti's Avaniti
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

levelheaded wrote:I wouldn't give the first player to captain our team to a Stanley Cup the title of the greatest Canuck ever. That isn't a fair consideration, even if it was Naslund, he would have to do something pretty special in the time he has left here.
Wouldn't a Stanley Cup be something pretty special ? He would be the first Canuck ever lifting it in celebration. :roll:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Toni Tanti was my fave, way back in the 80's... His name was cool as shit too.
I see his daughter everday, and not only is his name cool as shit but the guy around his girl is scary as shit too :D
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Meerschaum wrote:Oh c'mon, it's gotta be Tiger!!! Who else has ever led the team in both penalty minutes and goals in a single season?

Besides, Williams was a hillarious guy to go out drinking with. (When I lived in Toronto in the late 80s, one of the local bars I used to frequent would put on "An Evening with Mr. Tiger Williams, Esq" every month or so. Tiger would show up (late . . .), tell some screamingly funny stories, get rip roaring drunk and then we'd all head out to watch some low-quality strippers.)
Tiger was probably the nicest celebrity I've run into.

IN '82 I was 7 and we were on vacation in Calgary during that Calgary series...we stayed at the same hotel as the canucks (my brother held the door open for Roger Neilson and recognized him so we went on a canuck hunt). During those couple of days we got all the canucks signatures...smyl, rota, gradin, lupul etc. I got a picture sitting on Kevin McCarthy's lap...complete with his leg in the cast of course. Had a muffin and a little talk with King Richard as he layed on a sofa in the lobby eating an orange. But the thing I'll never forget was we wanted to see Tiger. No one else was all that willing to spend any time with us kids or go out of their way to take a picture. In fact only McCarthy and Tiger were actually willing to pose with us kids....game day stress and not being a community event makes them less accessible. We finally tracked down Tiger on his way to the team meeting. He quickly signed some autographs and asked us to hang on until the end of the meeting. We waited for what seemed like an eternity but true to his word out comes Tiger and he poses with us kids for a variety of pictures, signs them and sticks around to chat with us and our parents for a good long time. Many people have said many things about Tiger but on that day when we met him he was nothing other than a complete class act.

I was sort of a canuck fan as my dad was but it was that day that made me a canuck fan for life.

Years later while downtown having a few wobbly pops before going to a game we ran into Odjick and Bure waiting to board the team bus. Good guys even if Bure was a little shy in talking at that time....I think it was his second year in the league.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I agree that Tiger ALWAYS went above and beyond the call of duty, especially when it came to kids. When I was a kid we always used to go hang out by the players locker room after the games. Most of the players would sign autographs for about 5-10 minutes on their way out, but Tiger would stay there for an hour and a half and not only sign autographs but talk to every kid and and answer questions. I remember the first time I met him I was kind of scared that he was going to be mean (considering all the fights I saw him in) but he was the nicest guy you would ever wnt to meet.
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

As much as I like Trevor Linden, Bure had the most pure skill, even if he was a jerk........
Talent wise.............I also really liked Patrick Sundstrom and Petri skriko.
Even if they didn't make the list..........
tey
CC Veteran

Post by tey »

mindbender wrote:Where's Nathan Lafayette on this list?

He just missed the list, right off the crossbar.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

I was watching the Cancucks DVD that showed him straightening his nose out at the end of game 7 against the Rags - after it had been broken a couple of shifts earlier. Appearently he broke it 3 times that series. One of many great Trevor moments...

dvd? What dvd are you talking about?
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

randymeeks wrote:
I was watching the Cancucks DVD that showed him straightening his nose out at the end of game 7 against the Rags - after it had been broken a couple of shifts earlier. Appearently he broke it 3 times that series. One of many great Trevor moments...

dvd? What dvd are you talking about?
The Canucks DVD that came to ticket holders at the end of the last full season. It had a "10 years later" special about the '94 playoff run. For some reason the Canucks never put that DVD up for sale, which is a shame, because they could have made a killing off of it.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

When I was a kid Ververgaert , Lever and Gary Smith were the greatest canucks ever!
Even for a long time after there was no canuck that could bring you out of your seat like Ververgaert.

He would be my pick if it wasn't for Bure.

There is no one even close to being the greatest canuck ever as Pavel Bure.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Bure is far and away the best player this team has ever had followed by Naslund. Linden and Smyl are sentimental favorite player types kind of like Donnie Lever would have been had he stayed here. Honest players who gave everything on the ice and in the community. The coolest Canucks I ever met were Harold ( pissed out of my tree at the Cat& Fiddle buying each other shooters :lol: ), Gino, Gary Valk and Stan .
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Yeah thats likley the list right there bu I suspect that many fans have personell choices. Surprised no one mention Kurtenback, he's still giving today and as well as scoring man was he tough.
cheers