Greatest Canuck

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who is the greatest Canuck ever?

Harold Snepsts
No votes
Pavel Bure
24%
Thomas Gradin
7%
Trevor Linden
45%
Kirk McLean
2%
Markus Naslund
11%
Stan Smyl
11%

Total votes: 55

Mozy
MVP
MVP

Greatest Canuck

Post by Mozy »

Global TV is doing a poll on who vancouverites think is the greatest canuck ever. They narrowed it down to their top seven now. So I ask you who do you think is the greatest canuck ever? The poll mind you is just the 7 canucks that made the cut on their poll

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/globalt ... index.html
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I think it's really a choice between Smyl and LInden - who else is up there, really?

In the end I have to give my vote to Trevor. I think he's done more in the community to get the slight edge.

I was watching the Cancucks DVD that showed him straightening his nose out at the end of game 7 against the Rags - after it had been broken a couple of shifts earlier. Appearently he broke it 3 times that series. One of many great Trevor moments...
2021 - Playoff Bound
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I think your right, Smyl and Linden are in a class of their own in this poll. I'd have to take Linden just because I was really young when Smyl was playing and at that time I remember Tiger Williams, Ivan Hlinka and Richard Brodeur being my favourite players, none of whom could really be considered for this honour.
mindbender
CC Rookie

Post by mindbender »

Where's Nathan Lafayette on this list?
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I don't know why, but I think that Pavel Bure is the greatest Canuck ever. Skill wise at least. He was an egotistical headcase, but he was always amazing to watch. He didn't really do much for this team, or anyone for that matter, but he was a fantastic player. Tiger Williams and Stan Smyl were superb players and were real locker room guys, but for pure skill there was no one better then Bure.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

For Bure, I have to agree, he was one of the most exciting players to ever play in the league. We were lucky enough to have him at his peak.

(But then, Bure didn't score 2 goals in "The Game 7")

As far the the greatest Canuck - I'm thinking in terms of "Who would I like to point out as a prime example of what represents the Canucks".
2021 - Playoff Bound
LeftCoast
AHL Prospect

Post by LeftCoast »

My vote is for Linden - skill, leadership, character, heart, longevity, etc.

Honourable mention to smyl - had his peak when the team was crappy, but has contributed more to the team over the longest period than any other player.

Pavel Bure - definitely the most skilled player to ever don a Canucks jersey - Messier and Mogiliny's best years were behind them when they were Canucks, Cam Neely's were ahead of him.

Three classy Europeans - Thomas Gradin, Juri Bubla and Igor Larionov. I was a bit pissed off that the Canucks allows San Jose to sign Larionov after his year of NHL exile in Europe.

Biggest busts ever: Vlad (the inhaler) Krutov. Alex Stojanov (the guy was amazing but two shoulder surgeries ended his NHL career before it ever started).

Worst coaching disasters - Bill LaForge, Mike Keenan.
Give a man a match and he is warm for an hour. Light him on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.
mindbender
CC Rookie

Post by mindbender »

My pick for "player" has to be Steamer. I'm a huge Linden fan too and what he has done for this team and the community is amazing. Still, I'll always remember how Smyl gave 110 percent every night he player. He was never afraid to take anyone on especially when the rest of the team seemed so apathetic. He took a beating some nights for guys much bigger than him who should have fought their own battles. I remember one night he took a pounding from Dave Semenko and not a single Canuck came to his rescue even though he had done it so many times for them in the past and continued to do in the future. It was disgusting to watch and I pretty much hated every other player on the team after that night. The guy was all heart. He's got my vote.

Totall off topic here but did anyone realize that former Canuck, Trent Klatt retired last week? I couldn't believe that. I loved this guy in Vancouver.
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

Klatter was a warrior for us...Especially during the playoff run that ended in the Minnesota Meltdown.

Most intense player on the ice.

If he didn't have hands of stone, he would still be on the Sedin line potting 20 goals a year.

Sad to see him go...Gave it his all out on the ice, and you have to respect that.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

LeftCoast wrote:Worst coaching disasters - Bill LaForge, Mike Keenan.
I would add Renney to that list, but he did pick up the team at a bad time, so it wasn't really his fault.

For who best exemplifies a Canuck I would vote Tiger Williams. Heart and Character. If he was on the list I would take him hands down, but he wasn't so I voted for the player with the most skill, and the most exciting all round. Also, besides his idiot factor, I kinda liked the guy... :roll:
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

linden. hands down. captain canuck.
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

my vote goes to linden, but im rather suprissed to see naslund make the top 7...im sure that he could have been replaced by a better candidate...dont get me wrong he s agreat leader and what not, but really i think its a little early to be possibly granting him the title of "greatest canuck ever"
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

feritflame wrote:my vote goes to linden, but im rather suprissed to see naslund make the top 7...im sure that he could have been replaced by a better candidate...dont get me wrong he s agreat leader and what not, but really i think its a little early to be possibly granting him the title of "greatest canuck ever"
I think it's fair... let's face it, our franchise hasn't exactly been littered with superstars. Who else would you name? Offensively, when you adjust for the era, Markus has probably scored proportionately as much as Bure, and on some weak teams too. And I doubt anyone questions the presence of Bure on the list. And Markus is also immensely popular.

Bottom line is, if you were to pick your all-time Canuck starting five, you'd be hard-pressed not to put Markus on as your LW. I might even bump Pavel for Bertuzzi, just because of the other dimensions that Todd brings to the table.
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

i just dont think it is appropriate to put a player who is still playing in the position to be named greatest canuck ever... that would be like sid the kid getting best pen ever tagged to him because he has a stellar season this year and breaks all of marios records...im not saying that will happen i just dont think that would be necessary i wouldnt have minded seeing the king on there either, nonetheless nazzy is there, but so far it looks like linden is going to be the one to win
VHF
CC Rookie

Post by VHF »

feritflame wrote:i just dont think it is appropriate to put a player who is still playing in the position to be named greatest canuck ever... that would be like sid the kid getting best pen ever tagged to him because he has a stellar season this year and breaks all of marios records...im not saying that will happen i just dont think that would be necessary i wouldnt have minded seeing the king on there either, nonetheless nazzy is there, but so far it looks like linden is going to be the one to win
Well Linden is still playing too...

Here's the all time points leaders for the Canucks.

Rk Player GP G A PTS PIM
1 S. Smyl 896 262 411 673 1556
2 T. Linden 837 278 366 644 640
3 T. Gradin 613 197 353 550 280
4 P. Bure 428 254 224 478 280
5 M. Naslund 561 230 248 478 390
6 T. Tanti 531 250 220 470 489
7 D. Lever 593 186 221 407 354
8 A. Boudrias 458 121 267 388 140
9 P. Skriko 472 171 202 373 221
10 G. Adams 489 179 190 369 154

I can see Naslund at the top of that list when his contract is up. Hopefully he'll become the greatest Canuck because he captained our team to the cup in that time.

Unfortunately, we've never been blessed with any true great D-men in the past for any stretch of time. The same goes for goaltending as well.

If not Naslund today, I bet he'll be the one in 3 years.