Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

They need to punt Mikheyev. Attach a decent prospect to him and say goodbye. I wouldn’t be shocked if he bounces back but we can’t afford him scoring 30 points. ACL injuries sometimes take a couple years to completely heal.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:28 am They need to punt Mikheyev. Attach a decent prospect to him and say goodbye. I wouldn’t be shocked if he bounces back but we can’t afford him scoring 30 points. ACL injuries sometimes take a couple years to completely heal.
His speed is coming along, but it doesn't explain his stone hands. TBH, his hands were never his strong suit. I think there was some faint hope when he signed here that there was some scoring ability yet to be unearthed. I think that hope is dead - he is ho he is right now IMO. He's a 3rd-liner miscast in the top-6.

He' signed through next season - maybe trade deadline fodder - but if anyone makes a halfway decent offer, Butthead should not turn it down. Worse comes to worst, he plays out next season while Lekkerimaki cooks in Abby before taking Mikheyev's spot in the 25-26 season.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:10 am There is no question that JT left some money on the table. People were speculating he would get 9+ as a FA. But I think he could have gotten at least 8.5 as a FA so he was happy to sign on and stay. I think Bo may have stayed if we had offered him JT money of 8 million. But last I heard we were in the 7-7.5 range. Even then Ive heard we didn't make a firm offer. I think the team decided that they could keep 2 of JT, Bo or Pettersson and hitched their wagon to JT and Pettersson. Bo was the odd man out and the chip that helped us get a RHD. Simple really. He was valued less on the team and more as a trade chip.

So far I think we made the right choices. We will see how it plays out though and heading to FA. A lot of work to do to bring back a stable D and we still need to fix the top 6.
I don't know how much negotiating occurred between the two sides or how testy it got, but I find it strange that the long-time captain who did everything for the team and organization would have his number immediately given away. I understand the Kesler situation but this strange considering how everyone from owner, all management groups to the fans thought of Bo. I would have thought #53 would be untouchable for a season or two before coming back into circulation. I mean, there are "unofficial" retired numbers that you'll never see again like the deceased players, Lu, Burrows, etc.

Yeah, some hard decisions will have to be made by management this summer.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:25 am You forgot Juulsen at 775 K.

Cole isn’t taking 1-2 million. He has played his ass off in the playoffs and is leading that penalty kill along with a couple others of course.The guy played 19 min on a top 5 NHL team and can play both sides. He’s made playoffs something like 11 or 12 years in a row with two cup rings. He may be a casualty. The big domino to drop is Hronek, followed by Big Z, then Myers/Cole.
Didn't include him because he makes league minimum.

I understand your point regarding Cole, but he will be 36 years old next year. If he loves the organization, might be willing to do those 1 year deals where they don't take up too much cap space.

Your domino theory is probably how it will play out.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:28 am They need to punt Mikheyev. Attach a decent prospect to him and say goodbye. I wouldn’t be shocked if he bounces back but we can’t afford him scoring 30 points. ACL injuries sometimes take a couple years to completely heal.
I am mixed on him. Would love to move him and get rid of his cap hit, really even for a mid pick or decent prospect but he does bring speed to the forward group which already isn't that fast. Hope they don't move Boeser as he seems to have rebound his game.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

I really like Boeser's game this season. The question is not what he earns now but what a new contract may look like. If we can get him for 6 years at 7 M I would keep him. But anything more than that I think we have to look twice and make some hard decisions.
The only HW the Canucks need
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:44 am I really like Boeser's game this season. The question is not what he earns now but what a new contract may look like. If we can get him for 6 years at 7 M I would keep him. But anything more than that I think we have to look twice and make some hard decisions.
While I think that Boeser might never repeat a 40 goal performance, I absolutely love how he has developed two elements of his game that are absolutely repeatable and within his control. One, he's become a world class screener. Its not just that he positions himself for the screen instead of the tip, its that he also frequently times his screen with the play. Think about what Boeser's assist total would be if he were credited with an assist for a screen. Two, Boeser has become really good at extending plays. It is fun to watch the home run hitters who are trying to make it happen all the time (Miller), but its great to have a complement on the line who (and on the PP) who seems to always make optimal risk-reward decisions. After years (I am sure) of being a frustration to coaches, this year Boeser is doing little things right over and over and over. Its part Brock and part this coaching staff. Credit to both.
Hono_rary Canadian
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

theman wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:20 am Looking at the forwards, it is much more difficult to figure something out.

Name - current age - current cap hit in mil (except for Petey)

Pettersson (25) - $11.6
Miller (31) - $8
Boeser (27) - $6.65
Garland (28) - $4.95
Lindholm (29) - $4.85
Mikheyev (29) - $4.75
Blueger (29) - $1.9
Suter (27) - $1.6
Lafferty (29) - $1.15
Hoglander (23) - $1.1
Aman (24) - $.825
Joshua (27) - $.825
Di Giuseppe (30) - $.775

Honestly, can't really see a situation where Lindholm returns to the Canucks, short of him taking a major 'home town' discount. Would he really sign for around 5 mil per? Would be shocked if he was willing to do that.

I would try to bring back Blueger but for a 2/3 year deal at around 1.5 mil per. How much will Joshua want? Doubt he takes another contract for under a mil, he will be looking for a decent raise after revitalizing his worth this season.

Also, think we will see both Letterkenny and Poldz in the line up next year, pretty much have to have ELC's to make up the forward core next year.

Petey's raise will pretty much eat up the cap increase this year. Also the Canucks need to deal with OEL's dead cap buy out this year too. I guess Poolman's LTIR cap hit will cover that dead cap for this year so the Canucks will literally be working with this year's cap ceiling for next year.
A team like Boston will throw big UFA dollars at Lindholm, they need help down the middle. We can’t afford to sign him and tying up that much $$$ on a centre to play on the 3rd line who is roughly the same age as JT Miller isn’t the wisest. Start apprenticing Raty for the 3C slot, he’s finishing the season well, I can see him getting his cups of coffee next year. Or allocate placeholder money on a low cost 3C UFA in the meantime and prioritize Hronek, Zadorov and Joshua. Also need to put aside cap room space to re-ink Boeser much to HW’s chagrin and get some proper top 6 help on the wings until Lekkerimaki is ready, he needs some proper cooking. I agree about Mikheyev, the hands of stone ain’t no good for what we are paying him, move him if you cam
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mik’s best asset is his wheels which are only at 80%. He was always a crest hunter but he needs to move on I think. They need a bit more snarl up front and Hargraves was calling for Duhaime, Trenin etc to beef it up on the cheap a while ago. I’ve long been a big advocate of Lawson Crouse yet I got shit on for that. Fucking archives.

I wonder if Arizona would be willing to move on from the big rug for a legit 2/3 RH D man. Josh Doan and Dylan Guether look good. Cherry Picker and Dude love Josh Doan 😂

Salt Lake looks like a team to deal with.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BoS
CC Rookie

Post by BoS »

Cuthbert and Simpson to call the next Series.

:mad:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah Blobber, since the ASG, the lack of girth in the forward group has really been exposed... even more than usual.

I like Mikhey107 and his wheels, you can never have enough speedsters in today's game. But even with him at 100%, it is not looking like the best contract. Him and a few others need to walk the plank to scrape up enough money to buy a few heads of cattle.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Wasn't expecting to see Demko again the oilers - but this report seems to confirm that.
Thatcher Demko who continues to rehab from his Game 1 knee injury. Demko, still not facing any shots at this stage of his recovery, dropped into a butterfly on occasion, but most of his work was conditioning skating in full gear.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

BoS wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:05 pm Cuthbert and Simpson to call the next Series.

Barf :bang: :bang: :bang:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I think after next season we should tank for Gavin Mckenna
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

BoS wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:05 pm Cuthbert and Simpson to call the next Series.

Great news. We avoid Singher and Loui.
el rey del mambo