Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

But you can't really have a twelve million dollar superstar who isn't playing at all.

That'll always be a recipe for failure.
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:28 pm But you can't really have a twelve million dollar superstar who isn't playing at all.

Petey would play 1st line wing in my hypothetical scenario

What are we really getting from Digiuseppe or Mikhayev? They aren't bringing any more than young Podkolzin

Or how about this...dress 7 d and let Juulsen lower the boom on a few of these cheapshot artists on that side from the wing. He can't be any worse than Ilya ffs
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:09 pm
In my opinion he should load Pettersson back with BB and Miller, reform the Blueger line with Dakota and Garland then see what Lindholm can do with any of the remaining collection of rabble. Maybe Suter can line up with Lindy?
This is what I was going to suggest.

Lotto line from the beginning
Russian hoglander lindholm
3rd line is the same as we saw in the regular season
4th line is left overs with Podkozin and Suter.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:55 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:28 pm But you can't really have a twelve million dollar superstar who isn't playing at all.

What are we really getting from Digiuseppe or Mikhayev? They aren't bringing any more than young Podkolzin

Or how about this...dress 7 d and let Juulsen lower the boom on a few of these cheapshot artists on that side from the wing. He can't be any worse than Ilya ffs
In fairness to him, he had no plans to sign the contract during the season but management kept pestering him to sign. Maybe he knew this would be the result, he knows his own head better than anyone else. They wanted it, they got it.
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:29 pm

In fairness to him, he had no plans to sign the contract during the season but management kept pestering him to sign. Maybe he knew this would be the result, he knows his own head better than anyone else. They wanted it, they got it.
Sure but imagine the consequences if they had just taken him at his word and rolled into the summer unsigned with the possibility of arbitration and gone after that year. They couldn't risk losing the leverage
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Pettersson is potentially a perennial 100+ point player. But he does not play a hard game and is moody. They have a short window to trade him before his trade protection kicks in. I doubt Allvin has the balls to trade his favourite Swede. He seems to have a longer leash for Swedes. Good or bad.

Will Pettersson improve with the other Swedish kid on his line in a year from now? I dunno. I just know giving up a 100+ point player is a risk. I know he isn't playing that way now nd hasn't for a few months. He is probably his own worst critic. So it is a quandary. You keep him, unless someone blows your socks off, until just before his trade protection kicks in and then decide. That gives us a couple of seasons. OTOH his cap could be well spent elsewhere.
The only HW the Canucks need
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:37 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:29 pm

Sure but imagine the consequences if they had just taken him at his word and rolled into the summer unsigned with the possibility of arbitration and gone after that year. They couldn't risk losing the leverage
I understand that was their thinking at the time, and I was all in favor of the signing myself. I'm just saying, in hindsight I can now see why Petey wanted to wait until summer. I do expect him to be back to his normal self nest year, he was great right up until the second he signed that contract.
el rey del mambo
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:10 pm Pettersson is potentially a perennial 100+ point player. But he does not play a hard game and is moody. They have a short window to trade him before his trade protection kicks in. I doubt Allvin has the balls to trade his favourite Swede. He seems to have a longer leash for Swedes. Good or bad.

Will Pettersson improve with the other Swedish kid on his line in a year from now? I dunno. I just know giving up a 100+ point player is a risk. I know he isn't playing that way now nd hasn't for a few months. He is probably his own worst critic. So it is a quandary. You keep him, unless someone blows your socks off, until just before his trade protection kicks in and then decide. That gives us a couple of seasons. OTOH his cap could be well spent elsewhere.
One season. Looks like his trade protection kicks in July 1st 2025.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:10 pm Pettersson is potentially a perennial 100+ point player. But he does not play a hard game and is moody. They have a short window to trade him before his trade protection kicks in. I doubt Allvin has the balls to trade his favourite Swede. He seems to have a longer leash for Swedes. Good or bad.

Honestly, I have never liked his new contract. What concerns me the most is that he seems to have taken Kuzmenko's trade very personally. (just my hypothesis here as to why the sudden drop off in production).

Maybe he will bounce back and live up to his new contract, maybe not? Unless he is extremely popular in the room, I would trade him before his NMC kicks in.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

it is a tough question. If you have the balls to trade him you had better hit a home run on the return. I dont advocate trading him but I would not be as upset as I would have been say last year. To me though it all boils down to the return. Otherwise you suck it up and hope this last half season and playoffs is the anomaly.

Having said that I like this resurgent Boeser and I like Lindholm. If Boeser would sign a new deal around 7-8 million and Lindholm around 5-6 I would be in favour of that and moving Pettersson for the right return.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Every player has a slump now and then, and even in his slump year Pettersson is a ppg player.

Only seven Canuck players have ever reached 100 points in a season.

Pavel Bure twice. Mogilny, Näslund, Henrik, Daniel, Petey and Miller are the others.
Miller also has a 99 point season.

Petey was only 24 when he hit 102 points. He would have reached it again this season if the slump hadn't hit.

The kid is just 25 years old and should have at least seven more productive seasons in him, and probably hasn't even peaked yet.
His contract is a tad high, but based on what other players in the league have received.

Either way, if you were to trade him, you would need to get a shitload in return.

Normally the team that gets the best player is considered to have won the trade, and there are only a handful of players in the league that could be considered better, and I doubt any of them is up for grabs.

Sure, it is frustrating to watch him right now, but I'm convinced he will bounce back and be a top ten player in the league for years to come.
I would hate to see him do that on another team, lighting up the Canucks.

Right now we have Miller, Boeser, Hughes, Demko and Petey.
The core has never looked this good. I sure hope we can keep it for at least a few seasons.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It’s his swagger, not seeing it. When the kid is cocky he’s making shit happen out there that is eye popping, that has completely disappeared, no swagger anymore, that and he’s developed the body language of a pouting teenager. He most likely will get it back but that’s unlikely in these playoffs where the attention on his game is a fishbowl, it is eating at him making it doubly worst, it’s all mental. He won’t get his shine back until the next regular season most likely when the pressure and that spotlight has lessened. Don’t think he’s handling the $11.6 million, he’s ultra private and definitely not comfortable with that attention, the pressure to deliver quadrupled.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:28 am It’s his swagger, not seeing it. When the kid is cocky he’s making shit happen out there that is eye popping, that has completely disappeared, no swagger anymore, that and he’s developed the body language of a pouting teenager. He most likely will get it back but that’s unlikely in these playoffs where the attention on his game is a fishbowl, it is eating at him making it doubly worst, it’s all mental. He won’t get his shine back until the next regular season most likely when the pressure and that spotlight has lessened. Don’t think he’s handling the $11.6 million, he’s ultra private and definitely not comfortable with that attention, the pressure to deliver quadrupled.
I agree; he's in his own head right now. I think his body language right now isn't so much pouty so much as flummoxed, frustrated and deflated. That said, all it may take is one of those shots going in for him to get some confidence back. He's been knocking on the door at times in this series. I think Tocchet is just telling him to keep knocking and the door will open - but he has to keep it up more consistently shift-to-shift.

We may see the Lotto Line more often tonight - if only to get Pettersson going. Put Suter between Mikheyev and Hoglander as your de facto 3rd line with Lindholm-Garland-Joshua as the 2nd line. Tocchet likes spreading out the skill, but something needs to tilt the needle on offense tonight.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I agree it must be the pressure. He didn't have this problem during the bubble as the expectations were minimal. He could attempt those ankle-breaking moves with aplomb. Now he's scared to make a mistake, but on the plus side he's more defensively responsible.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Nice to see Demko skating.

Saw a clip of him testing his knee, looked good from the few seconds I saw.

Of course there's no way he returns until mid/late second round at best.

But it's all good, I feel we Canucks fans haven't learned enough patience yet...
____
Try to focus on someday.